John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:01 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:06 pm 

Hi all,

I am looking to commission an acoustics expert of sorts to provide advice on room treatment for a small project studio am building. The rooms have been acoustically isolated to the best of my ability, but I would like to actually consult with someone, in person, in the studio itself to discuss clouds, traps, diffusors etc. Can you recommend anyone?

Based in Kew, Melbourne, Australia.

Sam
0410 069 910

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:27 am 
Site Admin

I would suggest that you contact John Sayers himself, by PM (Private Message), and ask for his advice.

Quote:
The rooms have been acoustically isolated to the best of my ability,
It would probably help if you could describe how you did that, with diagrams and photos.

Quote:
in person, in the studio itself to discuss clouds, traps, diffusors etc.
It isn't necessary for your studio designer to actually go to your studio: that's an extra expense that you probably could avoid. With today's technology and the Internet, it's no longer necessary for an acoustic designer to physically visit the studio. Of course, if you have a high budget and don't mind paying for the visits, then that would be great, and would simplify the designer's task, but mostly it is not necessary.

For example: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20471 Click on that link, and take a look at that studio. I designed it and treated it from about 6,000 miles away. I have never been there, never met the owner in person, never even spoke to him on the phone! We did that completely by e-mail, with him taking careful measurements, send me the data, and me designing things and sending them back to him to build / adjust.

That's the way most studios are designed and built these days. As long as you can use a tape measure accurately, take good photos, and run basic acoustic tests using the free acoustic software package called "REW", then you can do it all remotely.

So contact John directly, and ask him to quote for designing the treatment for your place.

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:28 pm 

Thanks for the great reply, Soundman! I will PM John.

Report this post