John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:44 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:41 am 

Thanks Greg, greatly appreciate the support! It's been a slog already and I have tons left to do, but I'm gonna keep just plugging away. Hope you can make some good progress on your build too!

Quote:
Yes, it makes sense to put your outer leaf in front of your furnace.

Awesome, thanks! That's what I figured but it's very helpful to have confirmation.

Quote:
Depending on where it is, you really should have it insulated. Outside of your outer leaf it doesn't matter as much but in that location, it can help with actual furnace/HVAC noise. Inside of your outer leaf, everything should be insulated.

All of the ductwork in the basement is insulated. I'm gonna keep as much of it as possible outside the outer leaf, but on a couple places I think that's just not gonna be possible, so I'm hoping by boxing it it/beefing it up, putting Rockwool in there, and the fact that it's already insulated will not hurt my isolation too much.

Thanks as always! Realistically at this point I am focusing on getting the other rooms done and that's gonna take probably til the baby gets here, but hopefully I can start chipping away at the studio room, and in the meantime I still need to finalize the studio layout, so I'll post again before too too long with updates.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:22 am 

Quote:
All of the ductwork in the basement is insulated.

External insulation over top of the ducts themselves, or are they LINED with duct liner?

What you want is for your ducts to be LINED with duct liner. This is what will improve your insertion loss. Ducts that have external insulation are improved only thermally, not acoustically.

Greg

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:27 am 

I'm not exactly sure, but you can see in the pics - I've attached another one for ease of reference. All ductwork is wrapped in the same shiny insulation.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:48 pm 

That looks like flex duct to me. Which is externally insulated. Be sure to use internally insulated duct for all of your studio ducts!

Greg

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:44 am 

Whelp, too late for that :( I'm going to put as much as possible behind the outer leaf, and anything that is between leaves will have additional insulation...that's about the best I can do.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:20 pm 

Quote:
Whelp, too late for that :( I'm going to put as much as possible behind the outer leaf, and anything that is between leaves will have additional insulation...that's about the best I can do.

The best you can do is just that. At least you're trying your best! :jammin:

Greg

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:00 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure, but you can see in the pics - I've attached another one for ease of reference. All ductwork is wrapped in the same shiny insulation.
:shock: That's a bit of a mess, actually! If you show that to a professional HVAC installer, he'd be rather shocked... and would likely suggest that you get that re-done properly. There are ducts over ducts, under ducts, around ducts, with not much discernible organization. But don't feel bad: a lot of houses end up looking like that, because the work was done by a contractor who just wanted to finish quickly, and didn't really plan it right, or do it right. HVAC is the often "poor relative" of the construction proess, that gets the least budget and lowest priority... a sort of "afterthought" tagged on at the end.... producing the type of mess you have there...

I'm sure it works, but it doesn't work with high efficiency, and takes up more space than it needs to....

But anyway, it is what it is! Unless you are prepared to get that re-done properly (which would cost money...), you'll probably just have to live with it...

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:33 pm 

Hey guys, I was wondering if it would be possible to only have a SINGLE baffle box per supply or return vent, situated in the attic above my studio with an MDF "sleeve" that extended through both leaves but was isolated via acoustical caulk like in the attached very primitive sketch? I used Rod's book to build my room within a room in the garage but it had no plans for baffle boxes in it and I need to add them. Acoustic drums are played along with loud bass and guitars so low frequency insertion loss is desired. I was planning on using two pieces of 3/4" thick MDF for each leaf of the boxes. The studio uses double 5/8" drywall on both leaves so I'm trying to maintain that level of mass in the baffle boxes and sleeve. Thanks in advance for your help

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hi. Please read the forum rules for posting (click here). You seem to be missing a couple of things! :)

Quote:
I was wondering if it would be possible to only have a SINGLE baffle box per supply or return vent, situated in the attic above my studio with an MDF "sleeve" that extended through both leaves but was isolated via acoustical caulk
If you only need moderate levels of isolation, then it is possible to do that, yes. But not for high levels.

Quote:
Acoustic drums are played along with loud bass and guitars
... up to this point, it was possible, but then you said "acoustic drums" and "loud bass guitar".... So I'd have to say no, not a good idea.

Quote:
I was planning on using two pieces of 3/4" thick MDF for each leaf of the boxes.
I'm not sure what you mean by "each leaf of the box"... silencer boxes only have one leaf. There's no way you can make a box with two leaves and still have the leaves fully decoupled.

Quote:
like in the attached very primitive sketch?
That sketch shows a box that has a resonant cavity inside the walls, and with fully coupled sides of the cavity... It does not show a two-leaf box. It is also using MORE wood than you would have used to make two separate boxes, and is much larger than either of those separate boxes would have been.... and even though you call it a "baffle box", there are no baffles in it.

Quote:
situated in the attic above my studio with an MDF "sleeve" that extended through both leaves
How deep are the floor joists in your attic? If they are large enough, then it is feasible to build silencer boxes between the joists. In very tight spaces, I have done that, and it works... but yu do have to design them carefully.

Quote:
I used Rod's book to build my room within a room in the garage
So the studio is already built? It would be a good idea to start your own thread, and post photos in that of what you have, along with the detailed plans of how you did that.

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:16 pm 

My apologies for hijacking another user’s thread. I appreciate your comments and will start a new discussion on this topic

Report this post