John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:43 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:28 am 

Hello all,

New user here. I've spent some time searching and reading - what a resource this board is! I've learned a lot already but haven't found the answer I need.

I am putting together a small recording space in the new apartment I rented, where one bedroom will be the "control room", and the hallway will be the "vocal booth". Obviously, since I rent, there's not a lot I can do structurally, but I did get the landlord's permission to install a new door between the hallway and bedroom. I need to work with the existing door frame, which is a drag - no pre-hung doors for me.

What I want to do is put in a door with a window, so the singer and I can see each other. The doorway is 30" wide, and the existing door is 1 3/8" thick. I went to a couple hardware stores, and it looks like a solid fir french door with a single window and those dimensions will set me back about $150.

My question is: what can I do with such a door to increase the sound isolation? I don't need a ton of isolation - just enough so when I'm playing back in the control room (about 10' away), there won't be too much bleed into the vocal mic. I don't monitor very loud.

I'd like to spend a total of less than $400 on this, including the door. Should I be looking at a different kind of door? Are the door sealing kits available online worth it for this kind of application? Also, do any of these solutions need to be installed before the door is put in, or can I install the door first, see how bad the bleed is, then decide what I need from there?

Thanks,

cakes

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:47 pm 

One thing you may want to consider is support for the solid door on the existing frame. Take off the hinge side trim on the actual hinge side. You will most likely see a void or opening between the frame and the header stud.

Some call it a pack stud or a jack stud, I call it a header stud.

You need to install blocking or shims at the hinge areas to help this frame support the extra weight of a solid door.

While you have it off and after you add the blocking, fill the rest of the void with loose insulation. I would take off the other two piecs of trim and fill those voids as well.

Report this post