John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:14 am 

Hi Everyone,
after a long research and understanding about control room floorplan, i'm still a bit confused about one point !!
Can somebody help me to complete my soffit mounting "system". For this, I need to know which angles will be the best on the plan I send, where the red circles are to the sidewalls....
Should i use 15°, 30°, 45° ??
I know it sounds confused but the best it's try to understand with the pic :oops:
I will get more confused if i try to explain it more :wink:
Thanks for your help, friendly Sébastien

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:35 am 
Confused, but not senile yet

You can make those walls straight if you wish. There is no hard rule on what the side walls of a control room should be angled at. Enjoy!

Andre

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:54 am 

Thanks Andre for your answer quick :-) I'm very grateful about !!
To be sure we understand us, i send a pic with 3 possibilities, if your answer stay the same than I can continue my work :-)
- The first case is to extend the soffit mounting wall in the same line than my speakers (30°) to my existing sidewalls (they already have 50° angle). Then it stays 50°.
- The second case is to break my 30° speakers line into a 15° to my existing sidewalls. the crossing of soffit wall to sidewall will be 35°.
- the last case is not possible with 45°, i lose too much place...

I hope you understand my stuff. :oops:
I analyzed a lot of John sayer's floorplan and the speakers are angled with 30° ( it's clear ;-)), but the sidewalls have sometimes another angles, and sometimes you have also a "between wall" with a little angle between soffit wall to sidewalls...as i tried to explain it with my pic...

Look at this John sayer's shape :

http://www.johnlsayers.com/Studio/Pages/Somewhere.htm

you have the 30° speakers, then a 45° (also a soffit mounting), and at least the 10° from the original wall (where the door is !!)

So that's it !! I wanted know if i could build the case 2 of my pic :-)

Thanks for your patience and concentration :roll:
Cheers Sébastien

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:03 pm 

You can do any. Why do want to splay them?

Andre

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:04 am 

Why I do splay them...? because an acoustician came in my recording studio and make a skizze of my "new front"...the things is just that he's not able to help me further, he gets in trouble with his company...i don't know more and i don't care...but he couldn't make a finished plan...
So i have this skizze...I know the distance about speakers to speakers, 60° from mix position etc..but the only thing where i stay unsure is the angle from my soffit mounting system to my existing wall, he planed this with a 15° angle !
I just wanted to be sure if i build it so, it won't have a bad effect on my mix sound !!!
That's it :-)
Thanks

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:28 am 

I'm just guessing here, but on the sketch your acoustician did, it seems like he wants you to take the soffits straight out to the walls in a straight line (like your option "A"), then to add absorption at an angle of 15 degrees in the corner between the end of the soffit and the wall. Perhaps he intended that to be bass trapping?

That's what it looks like to me. Maybe André or Ro could comment on the acoustic benefits (or not) of doing it that way?

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:46 am 

You are saying this part of a plan drawn up by a professional who can no longer help you. Without knowing all the details, it is irresponsible to give a definite answer. Stuart's is as good a guess as any.

Andre

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:09 am 

What are the walls made from? Can you do without adding the soffits and sink the speakers into the exsiting wall. That would give you more space

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:19 am 

What's behind the two angled walls at the front, marked "existing walls"? Is that the end of the building, or could you use that space? Is that your inner leaf already? Or is it your outer leaf?

It seems to me that if it's not a leaf, then you could use them and the space behind the. If they are not leaves, then they might be useful as soffits more or less as they are, with just a bit of modification. It would gain you a lot of space.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:51 am 

Ok !! firstable thank you very much for your answers...right Andre i know it's difficult to have a good idea without measures...but i am able to give them if needed..it's the only things I could become from the acoustian..unfornately not these two angles :-)
About the building....It's a new building, and i build it in...my garden !! There are no houses around, and 85% of the building is "underearth", 16 feet deep :-)
The existing walls are hard concrete and 1.30 feet thick !! No chances to build the speakers within !! That's the reason why the acoustician planed a soffit mounting system. And i'm still thinking he's right !! The soffit is thought as a big Bass trapping also 1.30 feet thick on the all front and 8.20 feet high. The ceiling is also thought as bass trapping with 1.64 feet thick insulation on 172 sqft.
Remember that my room is 172 sqft !! That means a lot of bass :-) or :-(
So hoping these informations will help you a bit...
Thanks, Sébastien

Report this post