John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:10 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:28 am 

Hi John, Stuart, Kendale, Aaronw and everyone out there...

Before i make my request i just wanna notice that i donate money to this forum because i've got a lot of help in here !! and i think it's normal... when you know how really expensive a studio designer costs, i'm very happy to find some amazing support here !!! Thank you for this.
Even if we're near Christmas.. i've got a crazy idea !! and here it is :
I have in my studio two rooms.. a control room and a "big" recording room. The idea is to switch the both room (control to recording and recording to control).
I send some pics about my recording room.
I will be very pleased to have some suggestions to realize my switch. Can you help on this way ??
Thank you very much to all of you !!

Best regards Sébastien

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:40 am 

Unfortunately my request doesn't interest anyone.. I'm so sorry about.
I tried to explain over Sketchup what is my plan. It wasn't so easy to make but perhaps you can help me. Can be this a good possibility ??
Which kind of ceiling will be the best ?? Absorbing on the all surface ??
Thank you for you help !!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

Hi there Sébastien, and welcome to the forum! :)

Sorry about the slow response to your thread: It's a busy time of year, and not too many folks seem to be helping out with answers!

Quote:
I have in my studio two rooms.. a control room and a "big" recording room. The idea is to switch the both room (control to recording and recording to control).
In general, it is better to have the tracking room (= "live room" = "recording room") bigger than the control room, especially if it has a lot of "liveliness", with long reverb tails. Why do you want to switch yours around?

Quote:
Can be this a good possibility ??
Your basic layout looks pretty good, but I would forget about using diffusers in a small room like that.

Quote:
Which kind of ceiling will be the best ?? Absorbing on the all surface ??
Not all surfaces, but probably most of them. Theoretically, you would need about 790 sabins of absorption in that room, which is about 74 m2 of "perfect" absorption. That's roughly 50% of the entire room surfaces.

With the ceiling height you have, I would leave the ceiling flat and hang a cloud over the mix position. The cloud should be angled about 12° if possible, and must be hard backed in your case, to help with the unfavorable 0,0,1 modal issue that you have at present. The rest of the ceiling can be mostly absorptive.

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:35 pm 

Hi Stuart,
thank you very much for your answer... and no problem for the late... i'm patient :-)
Well, why do i want to switch the room... the truth is just because i wanted to have more free space in the control room. I have a production at this time where i recorded the drums in my actual control room (where the acoustic was treated by a German company), and the sound is nicer, fuller, warmer as in my real recording room....
So i thought it could be better to handle by building a new control,
The other possibility i see is perhaps to treat the acoustic of my actual recording room.
But i don't know where to begin to make it absolutely right !! :-)
That's the reason why i needed some help..
If you mean it is better to keep the bigger room for the recording room... i trust you either...but how should i treat the room for best results... ??

Thank you very much

Sébastien

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
The other possibility i see is perhaps to treat the acoustic of my actual recording room.
But i don't know where to begin to make it absolutely right !! :-)
That's the reason why i needed some help..
If you mean it is better to keep the bigger room for the recording room... i trust you either...but how should i treat the room for best results... ??

Designing a studio is not that hard, but you do have to take into account a lot of things, and you do have to understand the principles of acoustics. If you want to design it yourself, I'd suggest two books: "Master Handbook of Acoustics" by F. Alton Everest (that's sort of the Bible for acoustics), and "Home Recording Studio: Build it Like the Pros", by Rod Gervais. And also read John Sayers own work @ http://johnlsayers.com/Recmanual/index.htm . Between those, you can learn pretty much all of the basics about room acoustics, and about home studios in general.

Also, there are LOTS of designs right here on the forum, many done by John himself, and many others based on adaptations of his designs. If you read though some of those threads, you can find a lot of useful information that can help you design your own place. Here's a list of some studios that have been completed recently, or that are in progress:

www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph ... 923#p40923

Those can give you some really good ideas about how to do this, and what is involved in designing and building your rooms.

- Stuart -

Report this post