John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:14 am 

Hello everyone.

It has been quite some time since I posted anything here... I'v been around though... kind of reading and preparing for the final phase of my build.

I'm happy to announce that I have finished the first part of my build which include constructing rooms within rooms for my CR and Studio. I also finished a small lounge-like space connected to the CR and Studio.

I believe that I have a relatively good idea of what I want to achieve and that my build so far represents the best that my total building budget of around $15k (very rough estimate) can afford.

To start out with, here is a scaled down image of my complete office area. For the full size image, check near the end of this post.

Attachment:
gash_studio_with_metrics_thumb.jpg

So... now then. My goal with the studio build is to create a studio room which will be used mainly for recordning vocals and some acoustical instruments such as guitars, violins, flutes and similars. All in separate takes of course. I do not expect to be able to rig a complete set of drums (I might attempt it and see how it works though).

My goal for the CR is to have a room in which I can perform mixing and mastering as well as regular day-to-day production of a quality that can be expected from a build in my budget range. (way to go in being specific...) :roll:

Anyways... the main idea with this post is to get some feedback on the treatment of my rooms and also to be able to ask some questions regarding how to resolve certain issues that have come up. So without further ado I'll get on with it.

Studio dimensions (W L H) in millimeters:
2000 x 2080 x 3135
(yes, horrible floor dimensions)

CR dimensions (W L H) in millimeters:
2720 x 3720 x 2280
1: 1.19 : 1.63 closest approx. is Sepmeyer 2nd

I have included a rough room mode visualization of the CR. The same kind that Steve talks about here.

Now then... as far as the over all build goes, here are some details.

The office space is located on the third floor of a buidling that once used to house a print shop. The floor is made of very thick concrete and the ceiling is sloping and measures about 8 1/2 meters at the highpoint and roughly 4 meters at the low point.

When I was given the opportunity to rent a part of the office there was little or no room at all to decide which part of the actual office I would be receiving and as such; the area which I received had several restrictions. This is one of the reasons that the studio dimensions are as bad as they are... I really had very little choice over how and where to build my new walls.

Originally, my CR was a conference room and the door into it was set into an already existing wall made up from a heavy I-beam as an upper foundation and 2x4 with 16mm fibre board and 13mm drywall on both sides (with rocwool in between). To this existing room I was allotted a space right outside and this is where I then added on my lounge and studio section as seen in the attached images.

I have built my exterior walls using 2x4 on 600 cc and with double layers of 13mm drywall (with GG between) on the side facing outwards to the rest of the facility. The walls of my rooms within the rooms are built the same way and both walls are insulated with 95mm (4") PAROC rocwool. The studs of the opposing walls are staggered and I have left a 50mm (2") air cavity between the outer and inner walls.

The studio walls and ceiling rest on a wooden frame, filled (and packed several times) with sand. The ceilings in both the CR and the studio are double layers of 13mm drywall (with GG between) and mounted with clips on RC. Both rooms are, as much as possible, mechanically decoupled from the rest of the office construction.

The door and window construction and framing have all been done according to the information given in chapter 5 and 10 in Rod's book. Both doors are "double" doors, and by that I mean that the inner wall has one door and the outer has another. Both the door in the studio and the door in the CR open inwards.

Even though my drawings do not include it, I have a working HVAC in place in the CR. The studio room will have to do without for the time being. Maybe later I will add something simple in there... but as of right now, just opening the door for a while works just fine.

-----------------------------------------------------

Attachment:
gash_cr_suggestion_1_thumb.jpg

Attachment:
studio_treatment_suggestion1_thumb.jpg

OK... So... (if you are still with me in this wall-o-text) I now have some questions regarding how to treat the inside of the CR and studio.

As you can see in the images and sketchup-files that I have attached there are two main concerns with my CR. First of all is the fact that the window to the studio is "parallel" to the listening position... the other is that my suggested RFZ is either hindered by the window or the door leading out of the CR.

Ok, so fine... I guesse I can treat the door in some manner. As if it were a regular wall... but I have my doubts as to how good this will actually be. I would have to make space for the door to actually be able to open and close... and with the slat resonator attached to it I am unsure as to how good the final result would actually be.

What are your thoughts on this? Should i rotate my listening position 180 deg... and have my RFZ in the other "end" of the CR? How would one go about treating such a listening position? I mean the fact that one side has a window in it?

Is it a good idea to spend quite a lot of rear wall space (500+ mm thick) on a low freq. control device? Is it overkill or could I spend this space more wisely?

Regarding the studio I guesse I have more a more general question. In my suggested treatment plan It feels as if I am spending way too much space on resonators. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions for the studio room I would be very happy to hear about them. As a small reminder... this room may have crappy floor dimensions but the ceiling height is well over three meters so the actual room volume is still quite large (not sure what I'm trying to say here) :? . I guesse I am just looking for some input... suggestions.... ideas... etc.

All the needed dimensions should be included in the .skp-files. If something is missing please let me know and I will adjust it immediately.

Hope you enjoyed my text-wall... :) thank you very much for reading!

Best regards,
Peter

List of reference images:
- Room modes in Excell.
- Complete image of room modes. Includes scaled version of the CR.
- Screenshot of my complete office area in SketchUp.
- Screenshot of a treatment suggestion for the Control room in SketchUp.
- Screenshot of a treatment suggestion for the Studio in SketchUp.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:33 pm 

Hello again,

I have done some more work on my rooms in Sketch Up.

Attachment:
gash_studio_v2_sh1.jpg

Currently I am trying to figure out the best way to solve the control room door issue... I am working with two main ideas... One is that I will have to build the resonator as a part of the door-face and the only problem with this solution is that I need to create space for the door to actually open. This space will, in part, have to be taken from the soffit box.

The other idea is to rotate my mix position 180 deg. and then build the part of the resonator which conflicts with the window as a separate module which i can put in place whilst listening/mixing. IMHO my first idea seems the best bet.

If anyone could offer me any advice on either of these two ideas I would be grateful.

New Sketch Up file:
Attachment:
gash_studio_v2_3D.skp

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:59 pm 

The post has been up for almost two weeks and from the look of the numbers of replies i am getting I am starting to think that my situation is much worse than I thought... :( or maybe I forgot to include some vital piece of information in the original post? Any kind of comment relating to the problem would mean the world... even if it is a shoot-down.

Regards,
Peter

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:23 am 
Site Admin

here you go

Attachment:
gash_studio_1.skp

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:04 am 

John, thank you very much.

I see that you decided to replace the window into the studio with sliding doors and rotated the listening position 180 deg. Even though I will not be able to make the modifications you suggest I will try to rethink my design and create a new sketchup plan.

Most likely I will move the listening position to match your design. I am not allowed to move the central wall so it will have to remain the way it is.

On a completely different note... I will do a thorough search on the forum on the use of sliding doors at the immedite side of the listening position.

Again, thank you!

Regards,
Peter

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:12 am 

Hello again everyone.

Sorry for this semi necro-bump of my old build thread but I thought I should at least post my Picasa building album and say thank you for all the help this forum provided me with over the years. If you wish to check out some of the photos from the build diary they can be found here (I have added short comments to each photo):

https://picasaweb.google.com/1176015824 ... qq2umPWNOA

I started my build in March 2008 and finished in September 2010. For the most part it was an amazing learning experience and I hope I get to take another crack at it some time in the future. Soon the studio will be celebrating its' one year in production and so far it's been a great place to work in!

Once again, Thank You SO much for all the help and advice!

Best regards,
Peter Gash Andersson

Report this post