John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Sketchup free
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:25 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:46 pm
Posts: 5369
Location: Australia
You must realise that every time you drag a component into your sketchup model it is stored within the model. So if you play around with various objects via 3D Warehouse your model can quickly become a massive data size.

Before post the model please go to Window/model info/statistics/purge all. This will remove all the stored components that aren't being used in the current model.

cheers
john

_________________
John Sayers Productions


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sketchup free
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:50 am
Posts: 162
Location: Norway
Let's say I've made a wall, with different leafs,
then I need to insert a leaf, or take away one.

What technique do you use for this?

I find selecting moving/push/pull can be quite cumbersome for this,
as there's typical a lot of separate sections for all the leafs.

So, any tips?

_________________
- Geir
My project studio build


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sketchup free
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:57 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:46 pm
Posts: 5369
Location: Australia
You must work in groups - make each layer in you wall a group then you can move them around.

_________________
John Sayers Productions


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sketchup free
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:50 am
Posts: 162
Location: Norway
John Sayers wrote:
You must work in groups - make each layer in you wall a group then you can move them around.

Thanks!
Yes, I thought something like that.
But usually one layers inner surface is another ones outer surface,
or I'm I wrong?
Do I select lines or faces for grouping?

_________________
- Geir
My project studio build


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sketchup free
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:05 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:46 pm
Posts: 5369
Location: Australia
select it all - all four sides and the plane.

_________________
John Sayers Productions


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sketchup free
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:50 am
Posts: 162
Location: Norway
John Sayers wrote:
select it all - all four sides and the plane.

Thanks!

_________________
- Geir
My project studio build


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sketchup free
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:34 am
Posts: 1
Location: Romania - Constanta
Hi all ! May I give a tip here ?

To select all, the easy way is to select the plane, then right click and "select > bounding edges".
Then right click "make group"

This also works with multiple planes selected !

Cheers !

_________________
My last vocal trance song: www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS9MLgbhXl0

www.soundcloud.com/iceman-the-dj
www.facebook.com/Iceman.the.Dj


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sketchup free
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:50 am
Posts: 162
Location: Norway
Iceman the Dj wrote:
Hi all ! May I give a tip here ?

To select all, the easy way is to select the plane, then right click and "select > bounding edges".
Then right click "make group"

This also works with multiple planes selected !

Cheers !

Thanks! I believe you can do the same by triple-clicking a surface

_________________
- Geir
My project studio build


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sketchup free
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:50 am
Posts: 162
Location: Norway
I see SketchUp has been sold/portet from Google.
What does that mean for upgrading, free vs. pro etc.?

_________________
- Geir
My project studio build


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sketchup free
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:58 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:17 am
Posts: 11742
Location: Santiago, Chile
The sale was several months ago, to a company called Trimble. The details are on their web site, but as far as I know there is still a free version, called "SketchUp Make", and there is also a paid version, called "SketchUp Pro". As far as I can tell, they are almost identical, but the paid version is for people who use it commercially (EG. architects) while the free version is for folks who just want to use it for their own private projects, such as for example designing a home studio... :) But check out their web site for all the details of "which version can be used for what".


- Stuart -

_________________
I want this studio to amaze people. "That'll do" doesn't amaze people.


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sketchup free
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:51 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:46 pm
Posts: 5369
Location: Australia
Google bought Sketchup from At Last, the creators of the program. They bought it to service their Google Earth 3D buildings program which is very extensive if you check that option on Google Earth.

Google has now developed an automatic 3D generation program that uses combinations of satellite, lidar, street view, so it no longer needed Sketchup and sold it off to Trimble..

You can see the new Automatic 3D program in action if you check out Denver, Colorado where the whole city is now in 3D.

_________________
John Sayers Productions


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sketchup free
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:50 am
Posts: 162
Location: Norway
John Sayers wrote:
Google bought Sketchup from At Last, the creators of the program. They bought it to service their Google Earth 3D buildings program which is very extensive if you check that option on Google Earth.

Google has now developed an automatic 3D generation program that uses combinations of satellite, lidar, street view, so it no longer needed Sketchup and sold it off to Trimble..

You can see the new Automatic 3D program in action if you check out Denver, Colorado where the whole city is now in 3D.

Cool, a little wired, but gives a good alternative to standard view.

Anyway, I don't see a good explanation of SketchUp 2014 free vs. pro.

Have you updated? Free?
Good?

_________________
- Geir
My project studio build


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sketchup free
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:21 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:46 pm
Posts: 5369
Location: Australia
Yes - I use Pro because I use it professionally but I haven't updated from 2013 to 2104 yet as it had problems with all the pluggins and I haven't had time to sort that factor out.

As far as I know the differences between standard and Pro are that in Pro you can export an animation (.mp4) of a walkthrough and it has DXF, DWG, 3DS, DAE, KMZ, TIF, JPG, PNG import and export. Plus it has Layout, a separate 2D plan drawing option.

I may be wrong but that's what I understood to be the differences.

_________________
John Sayers Productions


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sketchup free
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:50 am
Posts: 162
Location: Norway
John Sayers wrote:
Yes - I use Pro because I use it professionally but I haven't updated from 2013 to 2104 yet as it had problems with all the pluggins and I haven't had time to sort that factor out.

As far as I know the differences between standard and Pro are that in Pro you can export an animation (.mp4) of a walkthrough and it has DXF, DWG, 3DS, DAE, KMZ, TIF, JPG, PNG import and export. Plus it has Layout, a separate 2D plan drawing option.

I may be wrong but that's what I understood to be the differences.

Thanks!
No, 2D export in the free one :? ?

_________________
- Geir
My project studio build


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sketchup free
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:30 am
Posts: 17
Location: Glens Falls, NY
WOW!!! AMAZING!!!!!


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC + 10 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot] and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group