John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:59 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Soffit mounting?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:30 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Fantastic! Let us know how they sound!

Finally a chance to try them out! They sound pretty good, actually. Not totally what I expected, but that might be because I have them sitting on top of cardboard boxes on my dining room table.... :)

But seriously, considering the way I have them set up, they sound great. I listened to some stuff that I'm working on, and realized just how bad my mix was!

But I'm really looking forward to hearing how they sound encased in concrete soffits, a few months down the line! However, for now they'll have to go back in their nice snug cardboard boxes, and back on the shelf... Sigh! :(

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:36 pm 
Confused, but not senile yet

Soundman2020 wrote:
Quote:
Fantastic! Let us know how they sound!

Finally a chance to try them out! They sound pretty good, actually.

Congratulations.

Merry Christmas from your friend in the other hemisphere.

Andre

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:03 am 

Hi,
after reading all the post in this topic and did some intense research in the rest of this forum I still have some open questions about soffit mounting monitors:

1. Many people say: The Monitors have to be set on a very heavy base - some suggest to use “conrete”- and to completely detached this base from the rest of the construction. - I don´t see that in any construction drawing on this site (for example the SAE-Drawings)! So no heavy base is OK too?

2. Also many people say: “The front-wall has to be huge and heavy” - In many construktion on this site, a solid wall is only at the sides and above the monitors. Below I see insulation coverd with cloth. So, no solid wall under the Monitors is OK too??? A wall that is not surrounding the monitors is OK???

3. Maybe a stupid question: If you use aktiv monitors and put them in the wooden box. Wouldn´t it be enough to just have an opening at the top of the box, so the warm air can flow upwards? Is an additional opening at the bottom of the box indispensable?

I would be very happy if someone could help me with these questions.

Regards,
Lars

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

Lars, in the period before anechoic chambers to test a speaker they went and buried it in the ground so the speakers were flush with the ground. They then hung a mike over it and recorded the response.

They only wanted the response for the speakers, not the box's additional problems such as reflections that interfere with the phase of the low end and alter the response.

Soffit mounting does the same by creating one plane from which the speaker radiates into the room.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:16 am 

Thanks for your reply John. But that is exacly why I ask my (first two) questions. So most of the constructions I see on this site (like in the SAE-Pictures) are all wrong? I guess not. I guess they are just a good compromise - am I right?

Lars

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:11 am 
Site Admin

I'm still learning about soffits, Lars, but from what I get so far, the soffit panel acts as an infinite baffle. Obviously, truly "infinite" is impossible, but as long as the panel "appears" very large acoustically, in relation to the wavelengths of the sounds coming out of it, then you approach the same effect. So you want your speaker in the center of a "large" massive panel, as similar as possible to the "buried in the ground" scenario that John mentioned. But as you mention, there have to be trade offs. Not even the largest studios can afford to have each speaker mounted in the center of a baffle that is even one full wavelength at the lowest end of the spectrum. You'd need a room at least 34 meters high and well over 70 meters wide to do that! Apart from the expense, that would be a highly impractical room!

The way I understand it, fortunately the trade offs are not that serious until you get down to fractions of wavelengths in the mid-range. I haven't looked for the reason behind the number, but I do seem to recall reading in several places that a 48 inch (or was it 45?) baffle (soffit panel) is a good compromise. Of course, as you'll see many people mention here, "You have to live with what you have". If you can't fit 48 inch panels in your room, then just make them as large as you possibly can. Even a small baffle will help to some extent. I guess there is a dimension where it becomes pointless (diminishing returns), but I'm not sure where. For example, I guess a 2 inch baffle would be basically useless! :)

Also, John often uses the space below the panels (which is generally behind/under the desk), for bass trapping. I guess that's because it doesn't make much sense to extend the baffle down that low, as it will be in the shadow of the console. But I'm just guessing there: John can certainly explain it much better than I can! I'm just making assumptions here. Hopefully, they are reasonably accurate!

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:48 am 

Hi Stuart,
thank you, that is a very comprehensible explanation to my ears. I am very curious what John will say about that.
Any opinion on my third question (see above)?

Lars

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:26 am 
Site Admin

Stuart - the baffle extends below the speaker apart from a low port at the join with the floor to allow access for the sound into the space behind the lower baffle where the trap is. I cover the lower baffle with absorption to stop reflections off the rear of the console unit from coming back at you delayed.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:25 am 
Site Admin

Ahhh! Ok, thanks John. Now I get it. So I need to do some re-design on my panels, to extend them much lower.

One question: I'm assuming that the "air space" behind the baffle (between baffle and front wall) does not need to be sealed hermetically? Or am I wrong on that?

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:24 am 
Site Admin

no it doesn't have to be sealed Stuart.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:12 pm 

Hi all,
Two questions!
I saw that "lurion" asked (page 4 in this thread) about soffit mount speakers with bass reflex port at the back, anybody outhere know if it has been tested? Results available?
except, [quote="gullfo"]check on the construction forum - there's a number of folks who have built soffits which are open enough for rear ported speakers - Kendale, Djo, Giles, etc.../quote]

See john pics on Page 3 in this thread,
If the cavities behind soffit/Bezel and around the speaker have hangers and or super chunks, would this not reduce the need of the -6dB filter (given soffit concept?)

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:19 am 

I am just about to decide wether to soffit mount Behringer 3031A or not. I am anxious about a couple of things:
1) Is there a way to combine superchunk corner trapping and soffit mounted active monitors?
2) Is there a need to create a whole plywood board for the "face"? Using wooden slats would probably not work at all, right?
3) Anyone tried soffit mounting Behringer active monitors?

Thanks in advance!

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:36 pm 

Quote:
1) Is there a way to combine superchunk corner trapping and soffit mounted active monitors?

What is Superchunk?

Edit: Never-mind, all this NEW terminology for OLD things. Corner built soffits combined with angled Slat Resonators provide the purpose of a "Superchunk" in the front your control room.

Quote:
3) Anyone tried soffit mounting Behringer active monitors?

Lowlife. the key to making your Behringers work is in the Low Frequency Setting. You will need to play with that setting to find the best bass position. I would gander it would be at -6db

2nd. make sure you have the circulation as shown in the soffit design. Extremely important else you WILL run into overheating problems.

Quote:
2) Is there a need to create a whole plywood board for the "face"? Using wooden slats would probably not work at all, right?

Yes you NEED to do the Plywood face. No air gaps (aside from the ports shown)

The slats are for decoration.

FOH Live, Live Remote & Studio Engineer
Producer

Just living life and having fun with all this talent YHWH Elohim has given me.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:48 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
What is Superchunk?

It appeared since you were last here Brian - it's where you cut out a corner shape in insulation and then stack them on top of each other to completely fill and area with solid insulation.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:12 am 

John Sayers wrote:
Quote:
What is Superchunk?

It appeared since you were last here Brian - it's where you cut out a corner shape in insulation and then stack them on top of each other to completely fill and area with solid insulation.

LOL. Yeah, I figured that out. LOL.

Sorta Like an AuraLex Lenrd, But it actually works. lol.

FOH Live, Live Remote & Studio Engineer
Producer

Just living life and having fun with all this talent YHWH Elohim has given me.

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next