John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:31 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Soffit mounting?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:24 pm 

Hey there,
I read this entire forum and couldn't find my answer ,I'v just realized im going to run into a problem mounting my HS80'S in the soffit mounting style ... How do i turn them on if the switch is on the back ?

I feel like that's an ignorant question im just stumped. Thanks

-Jeremy

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:53 pm 

Easy, make a new switch outside of the soffit and connect it through there. Keep the switch on the back of your speakers ON. :)

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:09 pm 

j.clarke wrote:
Hey there,
I read this entire forum and couldn't find my answer ,I'v just realized im going to run into a problem mounting my HS80'S in the soffit mounting style ... How do i turn them on if the switch is on the back ?

I feel like that's an ignorant question im just stumped. Thanks

-Jeremy

The other thing you can do, is remove the amplifier from the speaker, extend the wiring and mount it in an easily accessible location.

FOH Live, Live Remote & Studio Engineer
Producer

Just living life and having fun with all this talent YHWH Elohim has given me.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:24 am 

I had considered both of your suggestions. I do have one question about removing the amp though. Would that possibly affect the performance of the monitor.... John had said on here they used to test speakers by placing them in the ground then putting a mic above them. They probably kept the amp and speaker together when they did this , assuming there active. ? Also, if i take the that back panel off , i wouldn't need any air circulating threw my soffits would I ? There's a heat sink on the back that is attached to that panel btw ... I'm sure you already know that ( just trying to be clear)

Thanks for the quick response

-Jeremy

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:38 am 

Which speakers are they again (w/o) me scouring your post....

Producer

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:00 am 
Site Admin

Jeremy - you need to add an external switch so you can turn your speakers on and off.

Some manufacturers, like genelec, offer an external kit for mounting your speaker's power amps externally.

here's the Genelecs at Left Banks - you can see the amps mounted below them.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:54 pm 

Thanks for the quick response first of all, This site is a huge help ! Although i'v been up easily till 3 every night for about a week now scouring the site.

Well im not sure if i want to take the amp out of the speaker. I talked to some guys today at a long and mcquade near me ( not sure if your familiar with long and mqcuade, its a massive music store) anyways, he said he simply has his studio hooked up to a power bar , and switches it all on from there. I had thought of that i just wasn't sure if it would damage any of the electronic components.

giles117 wrote:

They are Yamaha HS80's

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:26 pm 

j.clarke wrote:
Thanks for the quick response first of all, This site is a huge help ! Although i'v been up easily till 3 every night for about a week now scouring the site.

Well im not sure if i want to take the amp out of the speaker. I talked to some guys today at a long and mcquade near me ( not sure if your familiar with long and mqcuade, its a massive music store) anyways, he said he simply has his studio hooked up to a power bar , and switches it all on from there. I had thought of that i just wasn't sure if it would damage any of the electronic components.

giles117 wrote:

They are Yamaha HS80's

Best bet is to pull the amp off the back and see what you have.... Life is full of experimentation. No experiments, no growth.

Producer

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

I've got the HS50s and it looks like one unit. But as the man says - there's nothing wrong with checking it out ;)

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:38 pm 

As an addendum. 6.5 years ago I showed up wanting to soffit mount my mackies. (Find the thread in speaker)

I was told it was a BAD idea, DONT do it. The Manufacturer says... BLAH BLAH BLAH....

So I did what any intelligent person does. I tried it anyway. What was the WORSE that could happen... The amp would run a little hotter due to reduced air circulation. That was my ONLY concern. I built the soffit to Johns specs, allowing for airflow from top to bottom in the rear. Voila... No issues. Just improved imaging and smoother bass. As I noted several times, (and should have run a meter print out) My bottom end was flat to 250Hz, then some minor 1-2db variations in the mids from 315 to about 700hz. and I mean minor, like 2db down, 2db up. Thats MINOR. I was amazed the Bottom was FLAT so far up the chain.

Then I added some treatment above my mix position (The Clouds) and there wen those MIDRANGE variations......

I adjusted the tweeter properly and my system was super flat +- 1db (which blew me away) Basically, the print sheet showing the speaker curve was mirrored in the room.

So all that fear of the Rear passive radiator... blah blah blah. I realized this one thing. In my years as a teenager I built tons of speaker cabinets. Sealed, Bass reflex, multi chamber, etc... A soffit is merely a BIG OLE SPEAKER CABINET.

GO forth and mount those cabinets in some soffits. Make you a switch plate for power on and off. Use a light switch connected to a cable or outlet inside the soffit that your speakers are connected to and voila, you have external power on and off.

Enjoy and make hits...

Producer

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:23 am 

Quote:
GO forth and mount those cabinets in some soffits. Make you a switch plate for power on and off. Use a light switch connected to a cable or outlet inside the soffit that your speakers are connected to and voila, you have external power on and off.
Yeah! What the man said! Absolutely. And if you also have a subwoofer, wire it to the same switch too, even if you can get access to the switch on that one. It just makes sense to have all your speakers on one power switch. In fact, even if you have your speakers in stands, I'd still wire them all to one switch. Who wants to be running around the studio flipping speaker switches all the time?

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:56 am 

One question I've not been able to find a clear answer on:
If I use John's design of soffit wall with Bass trapping between soffit wall and boundary wall, will I use 38% of length distance from boundary or Soffit wall when I decide best mixposition?

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:31 am 

I am the theory simplified guy. LOL.

My distance between cabinets is 6' (Use the 60-degree model) so my distance from the BACK of my head (about 3-6" on average) to the speakers is 6'. For a nearfield thats about the max distance you really want to be from them due to you having to push them harder for same SPLs at closer distances. Previously I was 4.5' away.

Producer

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:27 am 

Kaj wrote:
One question I've not been able to find a clear answer on:
If I use John's design of soffit wall with Bass trapping between soffit wall and boundary wall, will I use 38% of length distance from boundary or Soffit wall when I decide best mixposition?

Either.

It's a place to start, keeps you from running blind into the night.

38 percent is a starting line, keeps us from placing things like our ears and gear @ fifty percent.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:06 pm 

Thanks,
Good to know that 38% is not written in stone! It gives me more freedom in my designing.

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next