John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/

Soffit mounting?
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66
Page 9 of 15

Author:  j.clarke [ Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Soffit mounting?

Hey there,
I read this entire forum and couldn't find my answer ,I'v just realized im going to run into a problem mounting my HS80'S in the soffit mounting style ... How do i turn them on if the switch is on the back ?

I feel like that's an ignorant question im just stumped. Thanks

-Jeremy

Author:  Ro [ Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Soffit mounting?

Easy, make a new switch outside of the soffit and connect it through there. Keep the switch on the back of your speakers ON. :)

Author:  giles117 [ Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Soffit mounting?

j.clarke wrote:
Hey there,
I read this entire forum and couldn't find my answer ,I'v just realized im going to run into a problem mounting my HS80'S in the soffit mounting style ... How do i turn them on if the switch is on the back ?

I feel like that's an ignorant question im just stumped. Thanks

-Jeremy


The other thing you can do, is remove the amplifier from the speaker, extend the wiring and mount it in an easily accessible location.

Author:  j.clarke [ Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Soffit mounting?

I had considered both of your suggestions. I do have one question about removing the amp though. Would that possibly affect the performance of the monitor.... John had said on here they used to test speakers by placing them in the ground then putting a mic above them. They probably kept the amp and speaker together when they did this , assuming there active. ? Also, if i take the that back panel off , i wouldn't need any air circulating threw my soffits would I ? There's a heat sink on the back that is attached to that panel btw ... I'm sure you already know that ( just trying to be clear)

Thanks for the quick response

-Jeremy

Author:  giles117 [ Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Soffit mounting?

Which speakers are they again (w/o) me scouring your post....

Author:  John Sayers [ Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Soffit mounting?

Jeremy - you need to add an external switch so you can turn your speakers on and off.

Some manufacturers, like genelec, offer an external kit for mounting your speaker's power amps externally.

here's the Genelecs at Left Banks - you can see the amps mounted below them.

Image

Author:  j.clarke [ Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Soffit mounting?

Thanks for the quick response first of all, This site is a huge help ! Although i'v been up easily till 3 every night for about a week now scouring the site.

Well im not sure if i want to take the amp out of the speaker. I talked to some guys today at a long and mcquade near me ( not sure if your familiar with long and mqcuade, its a massive music store) anyways, he said he simply has his studio hooked up to a power bar , and switches it all on from there. I had thought of that i just wasn't sure if it would damage any of the electronic components.

giles117 wrote:
Which speakers are they again (w/o) me scouring your post....


They are Yamaha HS80's

Author:  giles117 [ Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Soffit mounting?

j.clarke wrote:
Thanks for the quick response first of all, This site is a huge help ! Although i'v been up easily till 3 every night for about a week now scouring the site.

Well im not sure if i want to take the amp out of the speaker. I talked to some guys today at a long and mcquade near me ( not sure if your familiar with long and mqcuade, its a massive music store) anyways, he said he simply has his studio hooked up to a power bar , and switches it all on from there. I had thought of that i just wasn't sure if it would damage any of the electronic components.

giles117 wrote:
Which speakers are they again (w/o) me scouring your post....


They are Yamaha HS80's


Best bet is to pull the amp off the back and see what you have.... Life is full of experimentation. No experiments, no growth.

Author:  John Sayers [ Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Soffit mounting?

I've got the HS50s and it looks like one unit. But as the man says - there's nothing wrong with checking it out ;)

Author:  giles117 [ Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Soffit mounting?

As an addendum. 6.5 years ago I showed up wanting to soffit mount my mackies. (Find the thread in speaker)

I was told it was a BAD idea, DONT do it. The Manufacturer says... BLAH BLAH BLAH....

So I did what any intelligent person does. I tried it anyway. What was the WORSE that could happen... The amp would run a little hotter due to reduced air circulation. That was my ONLY concern. I built the soffit to Johns specs, allowing for airflow from top to bottom in the rear. Voila... No issues. Just improved imaging and smoother bass. As I noted several times, (and should have run a meter print out) My bottom end was flat to 250Hz, then some minor 1-2db variations in the mids from 315 to about 700hz. and I mean minor, like 2db down, 2db up. Thats MINOR. I was amazed the Bottom was FLAT so far up the chain.

Then I added some treatment above my mix position (The Clouds) and there wen those MIDRANGE variations......

I adjusted the tweeter properly and my system was super flat +- 1db (which blew me away) Basically, the print sheet showing the speaker curve was mirrored in the room.

So all that fear of the Rear passive radiator... blah blah blah. I realized this one thing. In my years as a teenager I built tons of speaker cabinets. Sealed, Bass reflex, multi chamber, etc... A soffit is merely a BIG OLE SPEAKER CABINET.

GO forth and mount those cabinets in some soffits. Make you a switch plate for power on and off. Use a light switch connected to a cable or outlet inside the soffit that your speakers are connected to and voila, you have external power on and off.

Enjoy and make hits...

Author:  Soundman2020 [ Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:23 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Soffit mounting?

Quote:
GO forth and mount those cabinets in some soffits. Make you a switch plate for power on and off. Use a light switch connected to a cable or outlet inside the soffit that your speakers are connected to and voila, you have external power on and off.
Yeah! What the man said! Absolutely. And if you also have a subwoofer, wire it to the same switch too, even if you can get access to the switch on that one. It just makes sense to have all your speakers on one power switch. In fact, even if you have your speakers in stands, I'd still wire them all to one switch. Who wants to be running around the studio flipping speaker switches all the time?

- Stuart -

Author:  Kaj [ Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Soffit mounting?

One question I've not been able to find a clear answer on:
If I use John's design of soffit wall with Bass trapping between soffit wall and boundary wall, will I use 38% of length distance from boundary or Soffit wall when I decide best mixposition?

Author:  giles117 [ Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Soffit mounting?

I am the theory simplified guy. LOL.

My distance between cabinets is 6' (Use the 60-degree model) so my distance from the BACK of my head (about 3-6" on average) to the speakers is 6'. For a nearfield thats about the max distance you really want to be from them due to you having to push them harder for same SPLs at closer distances. Previously I was 4.5' away.

Author:  xSpace [ Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Soffit mounting?

Kaj wrote:
One question I've not been able to find a clear answer on:
If I use John's design of soffit wall with Bass trapping between soffit wall and boundary wall, will I use 38% of length distance from boundary or Soffit wall when I decide best mixposition?


Either.

It's a place to start, keeps you from running blind into the night.

38 percent is a starting line, keeps us from placing things like our ears and gear @ fifty percent.

Author:  Kaj [ Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Soffit mounting?

Thanks,
Good to know that 38% is not written in stone! It gives me more freedom in my designing.

Page 9 of 15 All times are UTC + 10 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/