John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Studio Design Help
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:32 pm 

Hello Everyone i am venturing into building my own studio nothing to big and fancy as funds are limited,I Purchased a old free standing walk in fridge freezer 9mtrs long 3mtrs wide wall panels are insulated 4inchs thick and the roof is 6inches thick ,pretty solid building i will be adding a 12ftx 12ft bit to the side of the build giving it a L shape i have attached 2 pics as i was unable to upload sweet home file ..
My Question is are the divisions vocal booth live area and mixing room i have set up ok windows and door positions ? I cannot have windows or doors on the opposite side as it would be over looking my boundary any hint tips tricks would be greatly apreciated ..I am not asking for someone to do the work for me but i just don't want to make massive mistakes to only regret it later on .. can i just add i am laying a 6inch reinforced concrete base i will also be insulting the outside and covering with 3/4inch wood slats Many thanks i know i have a lot to learn and lots to do and i hope you don't mind me asking for help oops sorry the vocal booth is the small area the live is joined on and the mixing area ia the 12x 12 on the right side looking at plan

martin

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Studio Design Help
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:46 am 

Welcome Martin,

Can you please read the forum rules thread and fully fill out your profile? Thanks!

Quote:
i will be adding a 12ftx 12ft bit to the side of the build giving it a L shape

The L shape is fine, but a 12x12 room is NOT! Use this site to make sure all of your rooms pass the three tests that pop up near the top right list after you hit calculate:

https://www.bobgolds.com/Mode/RoomModes.htm

I'd make that room rectangular such that it passes the tests.

Quote:
are the divisions vocal booth live area and mixing room i have set up ok windows and door positions ?

I cannot have windows or doors on the opposite side as it would be over looking my boundary any hint tips tricks would be greatly apreciated

I'm not sure what you mean by your "boundary"??

Your doors cannot be in the corners unless there is no other possible position for them. Your rooms are small and will need massive bass traps in every single corner. If your doors are in the corners, you cannot have bass traps and your acoustics will suffer greatly.

Do you NEED a vocal booth and a live room? The only time I'd say you need one is if you are tracking several musicians at the exact same time and you need isolation from one another. If that was my space, I'd use that front space for HVAC and/or storage.

I also would maybe use the room you have assigned as a live room as your control room. You need length in your control room.

Quote:
I am not asking for someone to do the work for me but i just don't want to make massive mistakes to only regret it later on

Take your time and set realistic timelines (I'm talking a year + here). Before you start building you NEED to have a plan pretty much 100% done. In order to plan it, you need to do a lot of studying. Read as many threads on this forum as you can. Also, I recommend reading this book:

www.roletech.net/books/HandbookAcoustics.pdf

Make a spreadsheet with a list of things you need to address. Things such as HVAC (this has a lot of topics in), electrical, windows, doors, treatment). After you have those things sorted out, document where you can buy products and their prices. That way in a year or so when you go to buy the product you don't have to research again!

Quote:
can i just add i am laying a 6inch reinforced concrete base i will also be insulting the outside and covering with 3/4inch wood slats

I'm confused about this question. You want to add 6" concrete slab for your added on room? Sure. Instead of slats, in my area of the world we typically use OSB sheathing for exterior walls. Depending on the amount of isolation you need, you may need something like two layers of 3/4" OSB with green glue compound in between them. You also need to figure that out. Get a sound meter and check how much isolation your current building is providing.

Greg

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:28 am 

Hello Greg Thank you so much for your reply ..What i meant by Slab was a 6inch Concrete Base ..
I am pretty sure that the max width i can stretch to is 12ft on the long part ..because of a uunderground tank ..:( When i said boundary i meant the edge of the land so i couldn’t have windows to overlook neighbours land ..
i Tottaly understand what you are saying about the doors ..May i please ask what your thoughts are on the freezer panels i am using ? they are aluminium either side with a 4inch thick expanding foam centre ? and the room are similar but 6inch thick ..?
Thank you again Greg i will be reading a lot of posts and links

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:00 pm 

Quote:
May i please ask what your thoughts are on the freezer panels i am using ? they are aluminium either side with a 4inch thick expanding foam centre ? and the room are similar but 6inch thick ..?

I would say that they are great for thermal use but horrible for acoustics. Foam like that is typically closed cell and therefore has no use for acoustics. Having said that, your transmission loss can be calculated by figuring out the surface density of the aluminum (easy to figure out once you know how thick the aluminum is), then figure out the distance between the aluminum, then enter that into the MSM equation and use the adiabatic constant for an empty cavity and that's that!

Greg

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:43 pm 

Hello Studio SPAMware, you are a major player in the space and is used by about as many firms. All the software tracks were associated with costs, including taxes and freight, and reflect changes in real time those allowing a designer to quickly generate client purchasing orders, invoices, and proposals. A design studio is a workplace for studio SPAMware and artisans occupied in designing, conceiving and developing new products. Design studio should be slope and powerful. And it also generates a shared perception to move ahead within a less amount of time.

And of course I am a spammer, in case you were wondering, so I got myself banned from the forum forever, and blocked permanently!

Aren't I smart?

And if you REALLY want a good laugh, I was actually here to advertise a writing service! :roll: :lol: The above is a sample of my very best writing skills...

Report this post