A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:59 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Greetings from Indiana
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:50 am 

Attachment:
Basement Studio Space Unfinished.skp
As many have said before me...Thank you for this tremendous resource!

I have been allotted a section of the basement to build my studio as represented in the attached drawing. More appropriately than calling it a studio it is more of a composing suite, using primarily midi Keyboard (Kawai MP10) and computer utilizing sample libraries to compose for video. I do however hope to be able to record some acoustic guitar and vocals in the same room if possible.

The reason I have only attached a view of the available space is I am having difficulty understanding how to calculate room ratio's as described throughout this forum. I know my room is very close to square which is horrible. I can make the space smaller, but I am not permitted to go any larger.

The ultimate goal is to build this room on the control room designs modeled by Mr. Sayers. If someone can please explain to me how to calculate these room ratio's, I will then go forward with the design of the final room for your personal critique.

Once I get to the room design stage I am concerned about the difference in mass from the concrete walls and the two walls I will have to build. Additionally I am concerned about the ceiling. When I reviews Johns info for isolating the ceiling I do not have the ability to utilize the cavity between floor joists with anything other than insulation due to pex heated flooring for the upstairs. Perhaps resilient channel across the joists.

I am so grateful and look forward to learning and receiving feedback for all that contribute.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:00 pm 

If I am missing any pertinent information that needs supplied please let me know. I thought I provided everything per requirements but am happy to amend any error on my part.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:41 pm 

This control room posted here seems perfect size for what I am trying to achieve.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hi there " MidiMaestro", ande WELCOME! :)

Sorry about the lack of response: It's nothing you did! I just have a lot on my plate right now, and there doesn't seem to be anyone else responding right now (or very few).

Quote:
The reason I have only attached a view of the available space is I am having difficulty understanding how to calculate room ratio's as described throughout this forum.
Here are two links to very good room mode calculators. Just plug in your room dimensions, and you'll get the results instantly:

http://www.bobgolds.com/Mode/RoomModes.htm
http://amroc.andymel.eu

Those are the best two out there.

Quote:
I know my room is very close to square which is horrible. I can make the space smaller, but I am not permitted to go any larger.
Try fiddling with the dimensions a bit in those calculators, to see what makes it better and what makes it worse. Just play some "what if" games, adjust each dimension smaller in turn, to get an understanding of what it does, then adjust them in combinations, to see if you can come up with the best possible ratio that reduces the room size as little as possible.

Quote:
Once I get to the room design stage I am concerned about the difference in mass from the concrete walls and the two walls I will have to build.
The key point is to define how much isolation you need for your room, then to build accordingly. If you have two concrete walls, that's great, but you might not need to make the other two concrete as well, unless you need some pretty major isolation. Assuming a typical home studio, you can probably get by with much less mass on the other two walls: But it all depends on how isolation you need.

Quote:
Additionally I am concerned about the ceiling. When I reviews Johns info for isolating the ceiling I do not have the ability to utilize the cavity between floor joists with anything other than insulation due to pex heated flooring for the upstairs. Perhaps resilient channel across the joists.
That would probably be the best solution if you can't beef up from below. Another option might be a triple leaf, but hopefully it won't come to that! Here too , you need to know how much isolation you need in order to determine which approach you should use, in terms of construction materials and technique.

- Stuart -

Report this post