John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:31 am 
Site Admin

only 2??

Yes Keith - I'm trying to keep it simple and affordable. I see so much overbuilding around here - look at Left Bank - it is only two single layers of 16mm (3/4") drywall yet no one has complained about it not being soundproof. People around here seem to be confusing the number of layers of drywall with the size of their dicks :D

You only need excessive drywall layers if you are setting up in the middle of an office block and you have other tenants above and below you and on the same floor. Moemedi doesn't have any of those problems.

To keep it affordable I'm suggesting Moemedi continue the existing roof and have a double layer of chipboard on top and a double layer of drywall on battens underneath with insulation in between. see the skp file.

cheers
john

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:39 am 

Unfortunately I can't install the Sketchup viewer... :( (Employer's laptop, not allowed to install it.)

As far as the multiple layers of drywall, I'm just keeping in mind that Moemedi wrote in his initial post...
ruffridims wrote:
I have built the studio in my fathers land and extended to his existing building that operates a bar and has a loud jukebox. There are some houses near by the site where I am building the Studio.

So, it's not just outbound noise that I was looking out for him on... It's inbound noise from the bar and jukebox.

I know that I tend to err on the side of overkill at times... I just didn't think this was one of them.

--Keith :mrgreen:

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah - fair enough - he could disconnect that roof from the other roof by adding support at the rear for a new wall and only join the iron to continue the roof line. 2 layers should be enough for the adjacent houses.

It's really up to Moemedi as to how much he can achieve.

cheers
john

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:31 pm 

Hi John, Keith and THe Johnlsayers.com Massive

I think that I understand what needs to be done.

I will have to take some days organising some more cash for this project. I was wondering it at the same time we could push for the Design and measurements for the control room so that When I get some money and go for the materials, I can try and organise a discount. SO that When I go for materials order all things once and try and get a very huge discount.

We are just finishing the wall that was demolished to the end, I will bring some picture for veiwing on Monday.

I hope to start working real real real soon. Every Night I dream about the Studio, When I am driving, I think I am about to Go totally Mad.

Thanks FOr your support

Keith, I will get you some stills from the Sketch Up for you to see what John was talking about.

Moemedi

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:09 pm 

Hi

Keith here are the stills of the roof that John had suggested.

John due to the amount of things that I will have put ontop of the rafters, THe ceiling will be under 3100 as there will not be enough space for all the things to be on there. SO I think we will have to remove some bricks , about three courses so that it my increase the angle of the Ceiling.

We are building a parate wall to devide the roof of the bar where the juke box is and between the booth and control room. See pictures.

I hope to start working soon.

Moemedi

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:23 pm 

Sorry, I think I had reached the limit of attaching files so I had to submit, but here are the images

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:06 am 

Hi John

CAn I plaster the wall in the control room and booth as the demolistion has made it untidy.

Let mi know so that I can get that underway too.

Moemedi

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:05 am 
Site Admin

I wouldn't bother Moemedi for the moment. Those walls will all be covered by the internal treatment so you won't see them.

Looking good mate.

cheers
john

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:21 am 

Hi john

Thanks, Atleast I save.

THanks, I will post some pics later of everything

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:22 am 

hi everyone,

i am busy trying to organise some cash for the roof and talking to the hardwares to give mi a deal so that I can manage to finish every thing.

So I have asked Andrew (the Builder) to try and finish the flooring for the seat of the building, while we wait for some money.

and I have included some picures of what is happening around the rest of the building.

Thanks

MOemedi
for
Ruff riddims

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:52 am 

Wow, great pictures! Thanks for keeping us up to date. 8)

That's an interesting "courtyard" brick pattern...

--Keith :mrgreen:

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:56 pm 

Hi every one

I am have been quite looking for Money to try and get the roof and everything, equipment and finish off the studio.

I have been talking to the banks and we must submit a proposal to them real soon and in a month from submission they may have the cash at hand for the studio and from all the materials but soon after that they will want some repayments. I was wondering John, Is it possible to have the plan for the control room and the Booth so that if they do agree we dont pause and work right and fast ? I may need to give you all the final dimensions of the room so that we are on the right track.

Just let mi know if its possible.

Thanks

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

Fine Moemedi - just give me all the new dimensions and I'll finish off that .skp file for you.

cheers
john

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:09 pm 

Hi John

Thank you very much. I will get the dimensions for you later.

THanks alot John.

Moemedi

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:16 am 

Hi John

Here are the final measurements for the studio.

The height of the sliding door area ( the space into the booth from the control room) is 2050mm

The width of the sliding door area is 2000mm

The height of the booth wall is 2450mm

The height of the couch wall is 3120mm

If you need any more measurements please do let mi know and I will get them as soon as possible.

Thank you John, I am also trying to get funding from a competition to set up the studio, I will refer them to the site to see the development of the website.

Thanks Moemedi

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next