John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:21 am 

I started this process at a HomeRecording.Com, but then I referred to this wonderful site. I see that this site is geared more towards the design & construction of a Studio Space, so this is definitely the place I need to me.

The Whole Post Thus Far Can Be Found Here:
http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=244480

But I will cut & past much of the information here so as not to have to retype it.

Thank You All For Looking...

I'm posting this thread for a few reasons.

To have a place to document my process.
    To post my progress and get input and answers to problems/questions that arise in "Real Time".
    So others may read it an hopefully provide answers to their questions.
    To offer my help in any way in gratitude for your help.

I'm a musician (Drums), who pays the bills by day as an Architect & Electrical Engineer (Hey, It's a job )

So, Music is not new to me, and construction and it's techniques are not new to me... but acoustical engineering is. I've been researching, for some time now, what it would take to finally have a proper music studio w/ recording capabilities. And a proper home outside the home for all my kits and gear.

Now, I'm not a sound engineer either but would like to expand my music interest by being able to record.

I've taken some considerable time researching all aspects of this project and have identified & set realistic goals for what I want out of this.

Here is the short and sweet of it in an attempt to not get too long winded. (If I haven't already)

Playing: Playing Music Is My Primary Goal.. Both Alone & w/ a full Band. (Practice & Rehearsal Space) Hard Rock & Punk

Recording: For Fun, MySpace, Feedback & Demos. Will be initially investing about $1500-$2000 in Gear. (See Gear List Below)

Isolation: Achieve Reasonable Isolation so as to not bother my neighbors w/ late night practices. Also, To Isolate Control Room from Studio Space. (If I decide to go that route)

Room Acoustics: To achieve a nice balance of sound in both rooms. Control of Highs, Mids & Lows.

I'm at the point where I'm about to draw all this up and put all my research into the design phase. The base of this design will start with a relatively standard garage design. (Both for cost & portability. If I move, I'm taking it with me)

Here is what the Recording end of thing will be. It allows for expansion and fits my personal needs & Goals.

Dell WorkStation w/ Flat Screen
    PreSonus FirePod or FireStudio (w/ Monitor Station Remote)
    PreSonus FaderPort Software Automation and Transport Controller
    HP4 Discrete 4-Channel Headphone Amp
    Studio Monitors
    Assorted Mics (Shure Sm57, Sm58's etc...)
    Assorted Cables, Stands, & Gear

This set up will allow for a space saving design, cost, & expandability.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:22 am 

When I started thinking about this project, there was a lot to take in (and still a lot more to go)... I had research many aspects of Studio Design including Gear, Construction, Acoustics, Environmental, Spatial, Aesthetics, and on and on. Each subject matter alone has tons of information to learn and at the end of the day are all interconnected.

Like, I may be researching how to isolate sound in a space from escaping (or entering)... Then you're left with an airtight room that sounds bad. So now you start to research Acoustics and how to address the sound trapped in the room. Now since you have an air tight room (At least you hope to), you have to figure out how to get fresh air in there otherwise Co2 level will rise. You also want to keep a constant Temperature & Humidity to protect the instruments and be comfortable, but now you've put a "hole" in your airtight room. How do you keep sound from traveling through the HVAC. And you need electric outlets, but what are your electrical needs? So now you research the gear you want in the space. The outlets also put holes in your airtight room, how to you address this... you start to get the point. It's a lot of back an forth between subject matter all toward the same goal.

Luckily with my education in Architecture & Engineering, I've been taught a systematic approach to identify problems like these and find their solutions. That's not to say "I Know everything on the subject matter", but it's enough to start the schematic design phase and ask the questions that matter.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:25 am 

I know that I want my studio detached from the house, So I figure I have 3 types of building approaches to my studio.

"Stick Built" (Regardless of material), which would mean an all new building with foundation, wall, roof, etc...

Pros: The most custom option. It could be any size, shape, or design you want. You have the option to pick building materials, that right off the bat, help you acoustically meet your goals.

Cons: Permanent (This subject personal to my goals), Most costly, more tome to build. Not really a DIY Project. There will be architectural, structural, electrical & mechanical issues that will all require the hiring of professionals. Also, unless you are really knowledgeable at construction, this is not a DIY project.

"Pre Fab" This could be a "Garage Kit" from 84 Lumber, or a pole barn, etc...

Pro: Cost and Time. You basically order a "kit of parts" and just put it together. According to size, this could be a DIY project or may require tradesmen. (However, A "Slab on Grade" will have to be poured in most cases.)

Cons: Permanent, Not as custom.

"Roll Off Building" This is where you order a "finished" building and they drop it off (or in some cases construct it on site, not unlike the "Pre Fab"

Pros: Because the building is not permanent, many time it will fall outside building codes. (This is a good thing if you have ever had to deal with code officials ). You can take it with you if you move (If it was a true roll off)
    Cheapest (How? You don't have to pay for a slab many times, building fees, professional, or tradesmen (Although some labor was obviously figured in the cost). Time, order it.. it shows up.. and is there and ready for Phase II

Cons: Not too custom at all. Some extra thought will have to be given to fully waterproofing the structure (Mostly issues from below). Widths typically are not as wide as the above 2 options due to transportation.

For me, I want to be able to take it with me If I move. I would hate to spend all that money on the inside and not be able to get a return on it. Unless you're lucky enough to sell to another musician, you're at a loss. Not having to deal w/ building code issues is a real bonus for me. Here, a permanent structure greatly increases you taxes. So there are continual cost to think about when doing a permanent structure.

So my base will be a roll off type structure. (14'W x 28'L) Cost $5-6k
There's also other issues that led to this decision, like Site, etc... Which I'll go into.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:26 am 

RED - MY HOUSE
YELLOW - RESIDENTIAL
GREEN - COMMERCIAL
BLUE - MIXED USE (RES/COM)

ORANGE - PRIMARY ROAD
LT. YELLOW - SECONDARY ROAD

I live in a small USA town, but on the main road that runs through it. It is a mixed use area where residential & commercial properties exist together.

Road Noise, Proximity To Neighbors, and Small Lot Size are all issues to be considered.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject: Site Plan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:28 am 

Some site issues.

Lot size is relatively small
    Close proximity to neighbors
    Shared Driveway & "Shed"

See footprint of "Proposed Studio"

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject: Scheme I - Floor Plan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:37 am 

Let it be noted that I've moved on to Scheme II based on feedback I've gotten thus far. However, I would to have your input on Scheme I as I develop Scheme II.

Software Availible: AutoCAD 2006, SketchUP 5, Adobe CS, etc...
If you would like a drawing file to play w/ the design, PM me your email addy and I'll forward the file.

Last edited by GCR22 on Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

Post subject: Scheme I - Section
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:38 am 

Section Toward Drum Riser

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:39 am 

Section Toward Control Room

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:40 am 

Section Through Control Room

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:42 am 

Longitudinal Section

Report this post

Post subject: SU File.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:49 am 

Here is a SketchUP File for the base garage.
Feel free to download it and use it. If anybody wants to have a go at doing a layout, I'd love to see it.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:36 am 

Aloha and welcome to the forum,

Nice job on your Skp file! :wink:

Give me a few and I'll be back with a few ideas...

Aloha 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:50 am 

Aloha,

As we have been advised not to take these calculations as "absolutes" but rather as a starting point, here are a few suggestions:

On Room Ratios - In Rod Gervais’ book “Build it Like the Pros,” http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5670 he points out both L.W.Sepmeyer’s & M.M. Louden’s formulas most widely used in professional studios worldwide. He also notes that the orders listed are (top to bottom) the first to third best ratios in both cases.

L.W. Sepmeyer
Height Width Length
1.00 1.14 1.39 6’9” x 7’6” x 9’4”
1.00 1.28 1.54
1.00 1.60 2.33

M.M. Louden
Height Width Length
1.00 1.40 1.90 6’9” x 9’4” x 12’8”
1.00 1.30 1.90
1.00 1.50 2.10

In Eric Desart's study on Louden’s Ratios http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... c&start=15
(thank you, Eric) we find something more like this-
1.00, 1.35, 1.85 6’9” x 9’1” x 12’5”

The figures have been rounded off to the nearest inch, but you get the idea. :wink:

Back in bit,

Aloha 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:37 am 

Aloha,

Here are a couple of views using the L.W. Sepmeyer ratios
Height Width Length
1.00 1.14 1.39 6’9” x 7’6” x 9’4”

It's a bit tight, but close to what you had drawn earlier.

Aloha 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:55 am 

kendale wrote:
Aloha and welcome to the forum,

Nice job on your Skp file! :wink:

Give me a few and I'll be back with a few ideas...

Aloha 8)

Thanks for the welcome :)

As for the Skippy, Thanks!. I've been using SU for over 5 years now??? (SU v2) and use it just about everyday at work for everything from Schematic design, Sun Studies, Mass Studies, Design Development, Client Presentations, Construction Documents, etc.... I even do models "Just for fun" at home, it's just that cool of a program... So, I'm pretty good at it by now. :wink:

I've used just about every 3D software out there at one time or another, but SU has always been the easiest (And in many ways, the best looking) piece of software out there. I Was pleasantly surprised to see that it was the forums design program of choice.

Thanks for taking a shot at it, I look forward to your input. I'm working on 2 schemes now. One is a developed version of the separate Live Room & Control Room w/ Splayed Walls. The other is an "All In One" Studio.

:arrow: (On a side note, I do freelance Architectural Design & Modeling for reasonable, So should anybody need my help, by all means hit me up w/ a PM or Email : gcr22@drexel.edu)

Thanks,
Glen

Thanks For Your Input ~ Glen

Report this post