John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:46 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:11 am 

Ok, so exterior sealing finished and battens fixed for cladding. Now I've turned my attention back inside.

I've caulked all of the ceiling OSB3 layer and I'm just running around inspecting the walls and caulking where it needs it.

Attachment:
Ceiling OSB layer caulked.jpg

I've got the ceiling plasterboard arriving Monday morning, so providing I can get a pair of hands to help me lift I should get started on layer 2.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:53 am 
Site Admin

Looks good! :thu:

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:12 pm 

Ceiling plasterboard layer 1 has begun!

Attachment:
boarding layer 1 plasterboard.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:27 pm 

More pictures :D !!

Keep up the good work.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:05 am 

Waka wrote:
Ceiling plasterboard layer 1 has begun!

Attachment:
boarding layer 1 plasterboard.jpg

Is the silencer going to be on the inside of the room? I don't understand why you couldn't have it inbetween the outer and inner leaf and just have the sleeve penetrate the inner leaf.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:37 am 

buttermuffin wrote:
Is the silencer going to be on the inside of the room? I don't understand why you couldn't have it inbetween the outer and inner leaf and just have the sleeve penetrate the inner leaf.

There are two silencers for each airway. 2 for inlet, 2 for extract. My ceiling/roof design is 3 leaf as it allowed roof ventilation and was simpler to get building control approval. The photos above show my first silencers penetrating the middle leaf (the outer sealed leaf), the inner leaf will be an "inside out" design and be 200mm below the middle leaf. The middle leaf being attached to the roof joists with a slight incline (for water run-off) means this raises to 300mm at the highest point. I originally had designed for the inner leaf silencers to just about squeeze between the middle and inner leaves, but when fitting the outer leaf silencers I had to push them further into the room to be able to attach the fan and filter box, which pushes the inner silencer towards the lower end of the slope and has left me less than the minimum required 240mm gap between the leaves to squeeze the box in.
So a redesign is in the works to put the inner silencers beneath the inner ceiling between the joists (remember it's inside-out) which would still be above the soft ceiling and hidden.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:44 am 

Ok so I've finished plasterboard layer 1 on my middle leaf (outer sealed leaf) and have started caulking it. I'm covering my silencers with a layer of plasterboard too whilst doing this.
Attachment:
plasterboard layer 1 complete and sealing begun.jpg

I have to wait for the caulk to dry before I can put the side pieces on to fully box them and the dropped ceiling bits in.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:08 am 

Did some more studio today.
All sealed and ready for the next layer.

Attachment:
middle leaf layer 2 done.jpg

Attachment:
middle leaf layer 2_2.jpg

Walls almost all sealed ready for it's plasterboard layer. You'll notice above the noggins near the ceiling that the gap between the studs is quite tight, I'm struggling to caulk inside there.

The reason the noggins are there is because, when I was framing I forgot to account for the depth of the head and sole plates and my sheathing came up short. :oops:

I bought an extendable/adjustable sealant nozzle to try and reach in there, but because my caulk is in 900ml tubes they come with the nozzle built in and it can't be replaced by the adjustable one :x

I'm leaning towards getting a different sealant for these areas with a removable nozzle.

Any other ideas?

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:25 pm 

Ok after 2 weeks and redecorating our downstairs bathroom I finally got someone to help me fit the second ceiling plasterboard layer! :yahoo:

Attachment:
layer 2 begins.jpg

Attachment:
layer 2 up.jpg

Report this post