All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:44 pm 
Site Admin

Cool!

Don't you just LOVE caulking? Isn't it FUN!? 8) :lol:

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:47 pm 

Ha! It's getting tedious now. My only solace, is that I don't have to caulk nearly as much on my inner leaf walls, just caulk the OSB layer and then plaster/dry line the plasterboard layer. The inner ceiling is inside out though so I've got quite a bit of caulking to do there, which I'm trying not to think about :lol:

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:26 am 

After two busy weeks at work, I've done some more studio.
I've started putting my cheap fluffy insulation in the outer leaf. I used standard Isover Spacesaver loft roll. About 10kg/m3, I needed 80mm so used 100mm nd compressed it as it's so light. I'm using insulation netting to keep it in place, as it's not self supporting.

I also am checking all of my chalked edges as I go in case any were underfilled. Some had loose powdery plaster board cut edge to seal, so had thin hairline cracks near the surface where it hadn't fully adhered. I'm sure it's fine lower in the joint, but I overcaulked those again before adding the insulation just incase.

I'm going to caulk the inside of the sole plate when I'm finished insulating the walls and have hoovered.

Attachment:
insulation begins.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Waka on Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:26 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
needed 80mm so used 100mm nd compressed it as it's so light.
You shouldn't compress insulation! It won't harm the insulation itself, but it can damage your isolation, for two reasons: 1) It changes the acoustic properties of the insulation itself, greatly increasing the GFR, and 2) It can create flanking paths between the leaves: compressed fiberglass can become stiff enough that it can conduct some sound from one side to the other.... 20% compression, as you did, is maaaaybbbbeeee OK, but I'd check to be sure that you didn't cause any problems like that...

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:47 am 

Soundman2020 wrote:
Quote:
needed 80mm so used 100mm nd compressed it as it's so light.
You shouldn't compress insulation! It won't harm the insulation itself, but it can damage your isolation, for two reasons: 1) It changes the acoustic properties of the insulation itself, greatly increasing the GFR, and 2) It can create flanking paths between the leaves: compressed fiberglass can become stiff enough that it can conduct some sound from one side to the other.... 20% compression, as you did, is maaaaybbbbeeee OK, but I'd check to be sure that you didn't cause any problems like that...

- Stuart -

Yeah, I know this, but I'm sure it is fine here. The GFR is only around 5000 rayls, and like you said, it's only 20%. I was expecting some increase and accept it.
I don't think we have a problem with flanking it's still very bouncy, not stiff at all.

Report this post