John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:28 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:26 am 

Here's my speaker framing and ventilation design. I'm not going to be isolating the speaker in my design, but instead going for very solid framing and a tight fitting speaker box.

Attachment:
Speaker Shelf and Ventilation.png

Dan

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stay up at night reading books on acoustics and studio design, learn Sketchup, bang your head against a wall, redesign your studio 15 times, curse the gods of HVAC silencers and door seals .... or hire a studio designer.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:59 am 

Man, your craftsmanship is great. It looks gorgeous so far. Are you leaving the resonator wood exposed like that or are you going to paint it?

Greg

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:06 am 

Gregwor wrote:
Man, your craftsmanship is great. It looks gorgeous so far. Are you leaving the resonator wood exposed like that or are you going to paint it?

Greg

Thanks man! That means a lot.
I'm considering what's the best way to finish it at the moment. I'm leaning towards sanding the exposed surfaces and staining/oiling them.

But I'll leave the finishing work til near the end.

Dan

Stay up at night reading books on acoustics and studio design, learn Sketchup, bang your head against a wall, redesign your studio 15 times, curse the gods of HVAC silencers and door seals .... or hire a studio designer.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:11 am 

Updates for you all:

I've been slowly doing some more in the studio.

I've now finished the speaker baffle (soffit) framing on both sides and and the baffle "wing" on the right side.

I've got one layer of 25mm mdf and a layer of 12mm hardwood ply to fit to the face of it. There will be a 600mm cloth faced gap at the base of the wing as a port for sound to enter and a 200mm gap at the top.

I'm considering another 150mm port just below the speaker shelf on top of the slot resonator currently, to expose the insulation around the speaker more to the room. :?: I'll think some more.

Let me know what you think guys!

Dan

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:08 am 

Waka wrote:
Updates for you all:

I've been slowly doing some more in the studio.

I've now finished the speaker baffle (soffit) framing on both sides and and the baffle "wing" on the right side.

I've got one layer of 25mm mdf and a layer of 12mm hardwood ply to fit to the face of it. There will be a 600mm cloth faced gap at the base of the wing as a port for sound to enter and a 200mm gap at the top.

I'm considering another 150mm port just below the speaker shelf on top of the slot resonator currently, to expose the insulation around the speaker more to the room. :?: I'll think some more.

Let me know what you think guys!

Dan

It's looking really nice Dan, did you already upload a sketch of your ray tracing with this soffit design?

I am debating between a total hard flush, total soft flush with slats, or a design similar to yours which is half hard/soft.

In my mind, a total hard flush is the only one where you will get the full effect of the half space low end power boost since a proper hard flush would be a front wall which is completely sealed from floor to ceiling to side walls.

The other two options are really a variation on the same thing, a speaker mounted in treatment with some hard surfaces to reflect the upper mids and highs. The benefit being with a soft flush is that the space behind the monitors can be used for bass trapping and depending on the design near field monitors can be used more effectively with less comb filtering due to the low end being absorbed behind them... which is why you rarely see near fields in studios with proper hard flush front walls, though there are exceptions.

So what was your though process in deciding to go with this hybrid hard/soft flush and what are your opinions on the total hard flush and soft flush with slats?

Paul

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:52 pm 

That looks professional as hell dude! Wow!

Greg

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:32 am 
Site Admin

Yes, well done - that's the way to hold a speaker tight in soffit mount.
cheers
john

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:42 am 

Paulus87 wrote:
did you already upload a sketch of your ray tracing with this soffit design?

I think I uploaded the raytrace on my design thread a while ago. I didn't change any of the angles since then. Ray tracing showed that any sound pasding under the baffle in the 600mm lower section soft section, should bounce below the mix position as it heads away, or be blocked by the desk.

Paulus87 wrote:
In my mind, a total hard flush is the only one where you will get the full effect of the half space low end power boost since a proper hard flush would be a front wall which is completely sealed from floor to ceiling to side walls

It's true that a hard flush mount is attempting to emulate an "infinite baffle", eliminating edge diffraction and compete half space projection of sound.

But in the end you can get a huge way there by simply increasing the size of the baffle. You just push the baffle step as low as you can. This reduction is edge diffraction and SBIR elimination are the key benefits of flush mounting speakers in my opinion. Low frequency boost is an added bonus in my eyes.
I would still flush mount my speakers even if there was no boost to the low end.

I chose to allow "soft" sections in the baffle, for speaker ventilation, and give the low/mid frequencies some access to that sweet, sweet fluffy absorption stuffed in the corner there :lol:

Gregwor wrote:
That looks professional as hell dude! Wow!

Always love the support man!

John Sayers wrote:
Yes, well done - that's the way to hold a speaker tight in soffit mount.
cheers
john

Thanks for the vote of confidence John!

I've got some more pics to come this week. :mrgreen:
Dan

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:01 pm 

Dan,

Did you use clamps with the wood around your speaker and then glue/screw it or did you build the enclosure and then slide your speaker in? I'm mostly curious how hard it will be to remove the speaker if there is an issue with it.

Greg

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

Greg - the box should be very tight so when you slide the speaker in you can hear the pressured air escaping.
It's the tight air that holds the speaker in even on an angle.

cheers
john

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:00 pm 

Gregwor wrote:
Dan,

Did you use clamps with the wood around your speaker and then glue/screw it or did you build the enclosure and then slide your speaker in? I'm mostly curious how hard it will be to remove the speaker if there is an issue with it.

Greg

I actually did this a bit wrong. John's method of allowing a couple on mm all around so it can slide in and out (but with that air pressure holding it in) it's the best way. I cut mine a bit small so it is too tight. I would need to remove the baffle and loosen it to get it out :oops:

I'm considering the likelyhood of having to do this soon or not, and whether it's worth fixing the boxes. I would need to cut the side panels a bit taller. As they are tight on the top of the speakers atm. I might just leave em.

Dan

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12