John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:52 am 

Waka wrote:
Hi guys, sorry for not being around of late!

I've got some more pictures to share. I've done more work since these pictures were taken, but I've not taken more recent photos yet. The photo shows the 25mm first layer on the baffles. I've already added a 12mm hardwood ply layer on top of this. I'm still considering my finish options for this, so any ideas would be great.

Attachment:
20200113_145152.jpg

Attachment:
20200302_112339.jpg

Attachment:
20200302_114354.jpg

Seeing Ron's aaawesome birch veneer finished slot resonator makes me cry when I look at mine now :lol: But it's not something I can add to my resonators now as they're already fitted. I'm thinking of either sanding and oiling them, or hiding them behind a cloth finish (after testing the acoustic effects). My speaker baffles themselves could be veneered, but I haven't done it before (so I'm scared!), or the other option is to paint them satin/matte black, which will look cool with the speakers in them (and a lot cheaper).

So here's the most recent pics I've got. I'll add some more when my baffle wings are ready. It's hard getting building materials in the lock-down though sadly.

Dan

Looking good Dan, I think you should veneer the ply, it's actually really quite easy and very satisfying. It's difficult to get wrong in my opinion because it's basically like applying sticky back plastic...but with an iron! If you do mess it up then it's easy to just reheat and slide it into the right position, or simply remove it and try again. It's also easy to cut the edges completely flush after it's been applied, and you can always sand the edges slightly to help it blend. Try it! I think you'll like it.

If not then I would cover the entire soffit including the resonators with a fabric frame.

Paul

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:08 am 

Paulus87 wrote:
Looking good Dan, I think you should veneer the ply, it's actually really quite easy and very satisfying. It's difficult to get wrong in my opinion because it's basically like applying sticky back plastic...but with an iron! If you do mess it up then it's easy to just reheat and slide it into the right position, or simply remove it and try again.

I am very interested in veneering. It looks great when it's done well. I'm leaving the finishing for now though. It's slightly infuriating having so much time in lockdown and no materials!

Dan

Stay up at night reading books on acoustics and studio design, learn Sketchup, bang your head against a wall, redesign your studio 15 times, curse the gods of HVAC silencers and door seals .... or hire a studio designer.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:52 am 

Was finishing off some fascia cladding around the studio today and I nipped in and took a more recent picture of the speaker baffles.

I actually like the grain on the ply wood, so maybe just light sanding and oiling might finish it nicely.

Attachment:
20200410_162907_copy_1200x675.jpg

Dan

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stay up at night reading books on acoustics and studio design, learn Sketchup, bang your head against a wall, redesign your studio 15 times, curse the gods of HVAC silencers and door seals .... or hire a studio designer.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:44 am 

Wow! That's looking great!

Greg

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:18 pm 

Great stuff man I love to see progress pics!

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:42 am 

Hi guys, I can get back to studio progress next week. I've got a delivery with some more materials booked for Monday. Deliveries are still difficult to come by, but the Plywood I need to finish my baffles and wings are in stock now, I also got enough 100mm insulation batts off ebay to fill the rest of the wings and the first layer in the ceiling.

So I'll hopefully have some more pictures for you incoming next week,

Dan

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:57 am 

Can't wait to see your progress!

Paul

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13