John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:51 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:41 pm 

Aloha,

Something like this to put the mounting hooks/blocks about 24" OC. This should also help distribute some of the weight, I think. I'd hate to have this thing coming down unexpectantly. My guess is it tips the scales at 60+ lbs. :shock:

Any suggestions to ensure a safer install are most welcome!

Aloha 8)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:38 am 

Location: Amsterdam, London, Paris & Somerset, NJ, USA: go figure!!!
never ceases to amaze me what the right toools in the right hands can accomplish.

questions:

what will be the weight of that cloud ones it's done?
have you included that weight in terms of planning for code allowance?

I think you are smart that you have integrated your handywork as part of the other furniture in the room itself. I wonder though how the addition of all this extra wood may affect your ability to claim back anything from the insurance company should you have a fire (GOD FORBID!!), but you know what I mean.

I am in the process myself of, for now, build my own version of 2 argosy consoles and the thing is getting heavy. Since I'll be placing everything in a second floor room, I know there's no way around codes or load directives from my local municipal office!

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:28 am 

Aloha David,

Thanks for dropping in. :D

Quote:
what will be the weight of that cloud ones it's done?

Other than the two panels of cloth and the four mounting blocks with hardware (total of maybe 5 pounds) I'm guessing at this moment about 60-75lbs. I'll get that thing weighed and post the info.

Quote:

To be honest, I hadn't realized that doing portable acoustic treatments required checking the code allowance. :oops: I had been considering them as "furniture" and not taking them into account as such. I'll be checking into it. (Duh, sorry Keith! :wink: )

Thanks for pointing that out, David. I'd definitely rather be safe than very sorry.

Quote:
I wonder though how the addition of all this extra wood may affect your ability to claim back anything from the insurance company should you have a fire (GOD FORBID!!), but you know what I mean.

I am looking into the insurance thing. http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5436

Aloha 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:52 pm 

Aloha,

Hmm, just noticed I've reached "Senior Citizen" status :mrgreen:

Pad, pad, pad.... :wink:

Aloha 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:45 am 

Pad, pad, pad

Careful, you saw what happened to Keith and Dan for doing that... :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:22 am 

Aloha,

Small update: 9 yards of Guilford of Maine - FR701/2100 Buff #460 ordered today! :D

On a sidenote: I had the chance to meet the owner of Salmon Peak Recording Studios at work last month and while chatting about music and guitars and stuff, he mentions he has a studio in Texas. I recognized the name of his studio because it's featured on the website I ordered the acoustical material from: http://www.silentsource.com/efs/salmonpeak/index.html
http://www.salmonpeak.com/

Pretty cool.

Aloha 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:45 pm 

Aloha,

Several posts/pages ago I mentioned that a friend of mine had gifted me with a table saw, jointer, compressor, grinder right before Christmas. http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... c&start=75 Well a friend of HIS was coming out here for a visit and needed a place to stay and asked if my wife and I would mind putting her up for a couple of weeks. Since we have friends and family stay with us quite often, we said no problem. Come to find out that this friend is also into woodworking and liked the side absorbers, soffits and cloud units I've been posting here.

So, Friday night I come home from work and am told there's a gift for me from this friend...a brand new plunge router, edge guide, a complete set of bits and this Japanese saw thing! Very much coolness, indeed!

Just needed to tell somebody. :roll: Once I get this router thing under control, I'll be posting a few more pics of something routed. :wink:

Aloha 8)

Last edited by kendale on Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:26 pm 

Note to self: Big Island couple has space in home for guests and appreciates power tools as gifts. :twisted: 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:33 pm 

Aloha,

Quote:
Note to self: Big Island couple has space in home for guests and appreciates power tools as gifts.

A few suggestions, perhaps? :P :wink:

Aloha 8)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by kendale on Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:19 am 

Aloha,

Quote:

Talked with a contractor friend of mine and he said that the weight would be no problem for the code allowance. I am still trying to track down some a copy of the codes. He's planning to come over this weekend to help locate the trusses and install eye hooks. :wink:

Aloha 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:00 am 

kendale wrote:
A few suggestions, perhaps? :P :wink:

:lol: Looks like it's time for Kendale to set up his..........

ImageImage

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:31 pm 

Aloha,

Update: 9 yards of Guilford of Maine and another 2 sets of 8 channel Mogami TRS-TRS studio snakes arrived today, and the contractor comes by Sunday! Sweet! Hopefully we'll make a little progress this week on the cloth install and get the cloud up and flying.

Aloha 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:15 pm 

Note to Keith (Mr. IT hisself :=) - no, a router is NOT a little box that makes computer signals go where you want 'em to... (OK, it is, but it's NOT too :? )

Note to self: Check price of shipping heavy power tools compared to cost of hotel rooms... :twisted:

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:53 am 

Aloha, :wink:

Quote:
Note to self: Check price of shipping heavy power tools compared to cost of hotel rooms...

The Fairmont Orchid - $369-$1439 per night
The Four Seasons Hualalai - $625-$6,500 per night :shock:
The Hapuna Prince Resort - $370-$1250 per night
The Hilton Waikoloa Village - $324-$474 per night
The Waikoloa Beach Marriott - $239-$409 per night

Aloha 8)

Last edited by kendale on Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:39 am 

You better start adding on rooms, bro; at those prices, you're startin' to look like the deal of the century... :wink:

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 20  Next