John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:24 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:27 am 

Aloha,

Quote:
You can export JPEGs from the trial version. I think it's under the FILE menu.

Quote:
File>Export>2D Graphic... I thought the free version was fully functional for 30 days.

Thank you, gentlemen! :D

Aloha 8)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:44 pm 

Aloha,

testing...

- edit -

Aloha 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:24 pm 

Is there a question in there somewhere? Steve

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:48 am 

Aloha Steve,

No question. I was just doing a test (in response to someone else's question) to see what kind of files I am able to attach. It appears that I am allowed to attach jpeg and .gif files, but no bmp files. That's all it was. But thanks for asking. :wink:

Aloha 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:45 am 

BMP files will easily exceed the 150k file size anyway; typical - just checked one file I uploaded a while back, the bmp version is 1.5 megs, the jpg version is 93k - I've found that generally jpg's give truer color rendition than tif's or gif's, YMMV... Steve

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:16 am 

Aloha,

Small update - Finally had a couple of free hours, so I started assembling rear absorbers - the first of four - pics to follow. :D

Aloha 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:04 pm 

Aloha,

Rear absorber - the first of four.

Pics by piano, guitar, amp for size comparison :wink:

Aloha 8)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:30 pm 

Beautiful craftsmanship, as always!

len

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:33 pm 

Aloha,

Thanks Len, I appreciate that. Say, how did your bass hanger situation turn out? I don't recall reading if you had resolved those questions you had.

Spent the afternoon knocking out another rear absorber. (#2 of 6) It's interesting how I never seem to be quite prepared for the "physical presence" these absorbers have in person. :shock:

Still waiting for contractor friend to help hang the first of possibly two clouds. :(

In the meantime it's back to Lowe's/Home Depot for more supplies. :D

Aloha 8)

Last edited by kendale on Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:02 pm 

kendale wrote:
Thanks Len, I appreciate that. Say, how did your bass hanger situation turn out? I don't recall seeing if you had resolved those questions you had.

I'm still working on it. I haven't posted to my build thread in a while. Most of the design work went on behind the scenes with knightfly. I've started building the CR rear wall and have pictures which I will post soon. I finally managed to score on mineral wool of the proper thickness and density and a only .76/sq ft. It should arrive Tuesday. I've spent the weekend working on the rear wall framing that it's going to go into. I've bought enough to build the slatted wall in the main room, and should still have enough left over for a few ceiling clouds and corner traps in the the main room and drum room.

That will leave me with just the speaker wall to build once we figure out what to do about the poorly placed ventalation registers.

len

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:09 am 

Aloha,

Update: rear absorbers done! :D

The room is definitely getting quieter and I am begining to hear the "confines" or "space" of the area I am in. Initial listening to reference cuts are begining to reveal more of the subtlties of reverbs used in mixdown. Cool.

Next up: side rear absorbers (2 units), front side absorbers (2 units), 2nd cloud unit. (Still waiting on contractor friend to help hang 1st cloud :( )

Aloha 8)

Last edited by kendale on Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:30 pm 

Aloha Kendale!

So, from the pic I gather you move the traps up when you mix?
Also, what are you noticing as the biggest difference in how things sound now with the treatments you've installed? Is it more on the lower frequencies? And lastly, is there a difference in the volume level you listened to before compared to now? I've heard that once treatments are put in, most people end up reducing the amount of volume gain because of better "presence" in their music.

BTW...those traps look GREAT...most likely, er, I'll be using some of your ideas... :wink:

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:55 pm 

Aloha Stan,

Thanks for stopping in. :D

Quote:
So, from the pic I gather you move the traps up when you mix?

According to my understanding, these are supposed to be placed at the rear wall, but...(there's always a but somewhere, eh? :wink: ) the piano is against the rear wall and there really is nowhere else to put it so...they might either end up being up against the piano or moved up. I'll have to do a couple of mixes either way to see which works best.

Quote:
Also, what are you noticing as the biggest difference in how things sound now with the treatments you've installed? Is it more on the lower frequencies?

The main differences is that I can hear the monitors and soundstage much better and less "room" artifacts. With the side absorbers, the mid lows cleared up noticably allowing the HF to really sparkle. I've a got a mix scheduled early next week so we'll see then what kind of difference there is on the low end.

Quote:
And lastly, is there a difference in the volume level you listened to before compared to now? I've heard that once treatments are put in, most people end up reducing the amount of volume gain because of better "presence" in their music.

Yes, there is a difference. Interesting that you should mention that. (not a bad thing considering there should be less fatigue during those long sessions.) I did notice that very same thing as the side absorbers went in, so I'll hazard a guess that it should continue with the rear being absorbed as well.

Quote:
BTW...those traps look GREAT...most likely, er, I'll be using some of your ideas...

Hey, thanks. If the posts & pictures are helpful to you, then by all means! I believe that's the whole point of this forum. I'd love to hear/see pics of your place as things start rolling for you.

Aloha 8)

Last edited by kendale on Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:09 pm 

Aloha,

Update: side rear absorbers almost done (ran out of Guildford of Maine cloth...again :roll: )

Aloha 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:36 am 

Looks great Kendale...
Just curious to know...

1.) How much the cloth ran (per ft.?)

2.) How long did it take to get it in?

3.) Did you have some kind of brochure to be able to select different colors or textures?

Thanx!

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next