John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:31 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:25 am 

Kendale!

wow! The pictures and the work you've done is truly amazing and inspiring. I've been following your progress closely because I'm trying to design/achieve something similar to what you've done to your room.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:25 pm 

Aloha,

Thanks, guys. :wink:

Where to order:
http://www.silentsource.com/gom_index.html
http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/prod ... ilford.asp

1.) How much the cloth ran (per ft.?)
Silent Source: Fabric price is $15.00 per linear yard. Fabric is 66" wide. Full bolts are 50 yards. Minimum order is 3 yards.
Acoustical Solutions: $19.50 per yard

2.) How long did it take to get it in?
3-4 days FedEx

3.) Did you have some kind of brochure to be able to select different colors or textures?
http://www.silentsource.com/gom_index.html
http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/supp ... fabric.asp

Aloha 8)

Last edited by kendale on Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:38 am 

Aloha,

Small update: front side absorber rough frame up - still needs rockwool, back panel, GofM cloth, and respacing of slats :wink:

Aloha 8)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:12 am 

Kendale,

Beautiful work as always! I have question about the last picture (that actually has nothing with side absorbers).

How high are your speakers and how high is your desk? I'm at the stage where I need to build my mixing desk and my concrete pilars for the speakers to sit on. I don't know what a good height for my desk should be. I think a big difference between our two setups is that my "sweet spot" is 7' back from the speakers (85 1/4" to be exact) and you look like you're a lot closer.

Also, I was going to build two rack boxes to go on either side of the mixing desk (with the desk sitting on a board between them) but that is going to make it difficult to get around because the room is only 12' wide. Does having all of your equipment off to one side cause reflections off of the front of the equipment or does it matter since the equipment is behind you?

len

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:38 am 

Hello!!

Your studio looks really nice! The absorbers and slots have some really nice work done on them :D ! I wonder, with the slots, have you tuned them in to some specific frequency or is it just general low-mid trapment??

Cheers,

Ola

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:46 am 

Aloha,

Hey, thanks guys :wink:

Len: Thanks for asking :wink:
Quote:
How high are your speakers and how high is your desk?

The center of the woofers are at ear level, which for me is 45" off the floor. The shelf for the speakers are 40".
The top level of the console is 37 1/2". (The console is by Argosy, whom I'm trusting, knows how tall to build the piece. Depending on what mixer, if any, you will be using, perhaps you could check out their site and see if they build a unit for it and use their dimensions as a starting point. http://www.argosyconsole.com/

Quote:
I think a big difference between our two setups is that my "sweet spot" is 7' back from the speakers (85 1/4" to be exact) and you look like you're a lot closer.

My sweet spot is about 5 1/2' back, the usable width of the room is only 8'.

Quote:
Also, I was going to build two rack boxes to go on either side of the mixing desk (with the desk sitting on a board between them) but that is going to make it difficult to get around because the room is only 12' wide. Does having all of your equipment off to one side cause reflections off of the front of the equipment or does it matter since the equipment is behind you?

I'm sure that it does to some extent, but that was the only place I could fit the rack. It does allow making changes to compressor & reverb settings and the like easier, and there really wasn't enough room to get around the sides of it positioned behind me. The side and rear absorbers have really helped tame most of the reflections.

Ola: Thanks for stopping in.
Quote:
I wonder, with the slots, have you tuned them in to some specific frequency or is it just general low-mid trapment??

Low-mid. One thing nice about having the slats is that it keeps the room from becoming too dead. :D

Aloha 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:41 am 

aloha!

hey kendale, how about the cloud(s)?

keep going, it looks fantastic and i'm shure it sounds the same!!

greez
roman

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:52 am 

Aloha roman,

Thanks for checking out the thread/s. :wink:

I am still waiting on my contractor friend to come by. We've talked this week and he's been pretty tied up, so we're planning on maybe next week, sometime? It's okay though, 'cause there's plenty to keep me busy right now and he's doing it as a favor. I'll post pics as soon as it goes up.

In the meantime (as part of Len's running joke) I thought I'd post a couple of scenes from the "kendale" Hilton for our friends in Switzerland, Sweden, and Norway. It's currently 82 degrees, mostly sunny with tradewinds 5-10 mph. :mrgreen:

Aloha 8)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:24 pm 

Aloha,

I hate you.

Aloha,

--Keith :mrgreen:

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:55 pm 

Aloha Kendale,

Nice job on the landscaping (presuming you did the work)... that's a lot of retaining wall stones. Looks just like Durascape stones from HD or Lowes. I see you've got more in the back corner, that's a lot of stones to move, not fun but good exercise.

Is that St. Augistine Grass, which is the norm hear in Florida... BTW we've had it in the 90's the past few days here... great wheather for my pool side gigs and hunting for easter eggs today

Oh Yes Happy Easter everyone.

Marc

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:39 am 

Aloha and Happy Easter,

Hey Marc. 90 degrees, huh? Whew, that's a bit warm. Especially without those tradewinds to cool things off.

The stone blocks are from Lowe's but they're called Castle Block out here. And yes, it was alot of exercise - seven or eight pallets worth. My wife & I did all the work except for the help putting up the gazebo. She's got about 150 rose bushes planted, and about 75 more to go. That stack of blocks in the corner is for a waterfall & two more raised beds (and more roses.) The grass we chose is called Zoisha.

Hey Keith. Heh, heh, heh! Ah, it's nice here.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Aloha 8)

Last edited by kendale on Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:51 am 

Aloha Kendale

Your garden and house looks a bit like one of my 4 smaller summer residences ;-)

cheers
Roman

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:21 pm 

Aloha roman,

Switzerland! I'd love to visit! :wink:

Aloha 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:07 pm 

Aloha again

i never said my summer residences are in switzerland :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll:

nevertheless, i've got something for you: a little flight across the alps :-)
http://www.flugsimulation.ch/forum/show ... hp?t=39765

I think we have to stop at this point, or you have to move the thread to "off topic" ;-)

ooh, have to go to bed now, it's 6am here... *zzzz-zzzz-zz*

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:19 pm 

Aloha roman,

Thanks for the link. Beautiful! It has been my wife's lifelong dream to visit Switzerland. Someday maybe... :wink:

Aloha 8)

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next