John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:35 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:43 am 

Aloha Y'all,

A Merry Christmas to all, and to all, goodnight!

Aloha 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:05 pm 

And to you; hope ya found some goodies under the ol' palm tree :wink: Steve

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:21 pm 

Aloha and a Happy New Year to y'all! (Hauoli Makahiki Hou!) :D

Quote:
And to you; hope ya found some goodies under the ol' palm tree Steve

Thanks, Steve. Actually, that ol' palm tree started dropping them coconut wrapped gifts at the begining of the month. A friend of mine gifted me with a 10" Craftsman table saw, grinder, compressor, jointer and table extension. The timing was perfect, as I was about to start the side absorber projects.

In addition to that, a client gifted me with the new Sonar 5 Producer Edition software. I was initially saving up for Samplitude, but hey, what else can I say but; "Wow! Thanks!" All I need now is to install some much needed RAM and we're looking at delving into the world of DAW! Much coolness, indeed! 8)

Here's a few updates of what's been going on between sessions and the regular job.

- resized 2nd section of side absorber to 43" tall.
- built left rear side absorber to fit in computer desk cubby of wall unit
- waiting on $$$ for rear panels/insulation install
- ran out of Guilford of Maine/need to reorder
- will redo slot sizing (for those with discerning eyes :wink: ) after Guilford arrives and is installed
- trying to convince mrs. kendale to agree to left front side absorber install on as needed basis. (requires disassembly of the wall unit glass doors. :shock: )

Next up: rear absorber panels & cloud/lighting

Aloha 8)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:52 am 

kendale wrote:
A friend of mine gifted me with a 10" Craftsman table saw, grinder, compressor, jointer and table extension.

Wow! 8) Hey, does your friend need any other friends? :roll: I'm very loyal! :P

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:49 am 

Aloha,

Yeah, wouldn't it be great if we all had/and were friends like that? :D

A couple of observations happening here in regard to the shrinking real estate situation. :o

It is interesting to note that the "physical spatial feel" and room dimensions are shrinking as the acoustic treatments go in.

At the moment, I have about 14’ x 8’ x 8’ 8”/10’ (sloped ceiling) with the front absorber/soffits, side absorbers, and planned rear absorbers in place, down from the original 20' x 12' x 8'/10'. I stand to lose about 8" of height after the cloud/lighting is installed, but no worries there as I'm a fairly short guy. :wink:

Just a small note to consider for those about to acoustically treat their rooms after the fact (as compared to built in.) It's comfortable enough for one person, cozy for two, definitely needs a lounge/hangout area for more than three.

Also, small update: finished installing insulation/rear panel on one of the side absorbers. While you can definitely hear a difference upclose between no insulation/rear panel and with, it's a little to soon to predict the final effect they will have on the overall room sound until the other absorbers are done. Very interesting how all of the small changes and treatments combine together to tailor the final room sound. Very cool.

One more note: just finished a last minute demo for a friend this morning. I noticed that the mixdown was much easier and faster than a session done just two weeks ago. Again, very cool.

Aloha 8)

Last edited by kendale on Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:46 am 

Aloha,

Quote:
I was hoping to build some sort of treatment for the front wall that I could take with me to the new location in the future...

This was taken from my original post in the design forum. http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... ght=#15598

In the last last update, I mentioned finishing one of the side absorber units (measures 36" x 8" x 43" - l x w x h) and is one of the smaller units.

After assembly the unit weighs about 50 lbs. Not too bad in and of itself, but combined with the odd dimensions, it makes for a bulky, clumsy move.

There's six 4' x 8" x 4' units up next. :shock:

Perhaps something to add to a "Lessons Learned Along the Way" topic. :wink:

Aloha 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:59 am 

I plan to upgrade to Sonar 5 soon as well, but you may still wanna keep the budget for Samp; although Cake's been improving their handling of digital audio with each version. Good thing, Pro Audio 9 SUCKED for audio compared to Samp 6.

Thing is, you might still end up using BOTH as I do with older versions; I use Hubi's Loopback virtual midi cable driver to tie both programs together, one synced to the other internally. Only way I could "have my cake and eat it too", using Samp for audio and Cake for midi stuff (8x8 midi interface, etc)... Steve

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:03 am 

Aloha,

Quote:
Only way I could "have my cake and eat it too", using Samp for audio and Cake for midi stuff (8x8 midi interface, etc)... Steve

Ha! That's a good one! :D :D :D

Update: Finished rear panel/insulation install on side absorbers. (Still waiting for Guilford - they're stuffed, but not pretty!)

Initial listening test: Hey, this stuff really works! Reference cuts sound cleaner, crisp even. Depth perception has improved, and even more refinements of initial improvements posted earlier. (bottom end tighter/ imaging clearer/ drums sound clearer, more defined in mixes/able to hear clearer at lower volumes than before/room sounds quieter without music playing, louder & tighter with less effort when music played/less fatigue/more enjoyment in listening to mixes!)

A lot of the low-mid/mid haze is gone - like somewhere between defogging/cleaning your windshield. It's amazing how much of a difference each step of the treatment makes. Even more so, it's interesting to note how much mush was there in the first place! No wonder that first CD in this location was such a struggle. :roll:

I am so looking forward to seeing what happens when the rear absorbers and cloud are added. Very, very cool.

Aloha 8)

Last edited by kendale on Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:08 am 

Yeah, but are ya HAPPY??!? :wink:

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:07 am 

Aloha y'all,

Man, two whole weeks have passed since the last post and further progress. :shock:
(Waiting on $$$ for the next phase...it's coming, but oh so slowly :roll: )

Been spending the time listening, listening, listening to the changes in the room's sound, designing and redesigning a cloud/lighting unit and materials list and watching and enjoying the progress all you guys have been making on your studios. :D

Keep up the good work & pic posts!

Aloha 8)

Last edited by kendale on Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:33 pm 

Aloha,

Thought I'd put this out there and see what y'all think and/or suggest.

Thanks!

Aloha 8)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by kendale on Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:25 pm 

How would this go into the room? Would the long side go left/right relative to your mix position or front to back? What material are you going to be using? 2x4s?

If it's the later, what are the "extra" lights for on the bottom of the drawing? Equipment rack illumination?

It looks good - any chance you could build me one just like it? While you've got the tools out. :-)

len

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:02 am 

Bottom part of the drawing is probably a side view; and what's the shipping cost from aloha-land to Texas??!? :wink:

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:07 am 

Aloha Len and Steve,

Thanks for asking. The design is based on noisefix's cloud, which is based on one by LP Swist. http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... sc&start=0 (About 3/4 of the way down the page)

Quote:
How would this go into the room? Would the long side go left/right relative to your mix position or front to back? What material are you going to be using? 2x4s?

The 96" spans the width of the mix position. Framing (hemlock) consists of 1" x 4" with 1" x 6" panels for the lights. I will probably go with 1" x 2" to keep the rockwool from sagging/falling out of the frame. Not sure yet if everything gets covered in the Guildford of Maine stuff or just the rockwool panels.

The two "extra lights" are positioned forward of the mix position, aimed at the monitors, the group of three are positioned over the console.

Quote:
It looks good - any chance you could build me one just like it? While you've got the tools out.

Would you like that in white, beige, avocado or natural? :wink: Having not built one of these before, the manufacturer waives all responsibilty, liability and resulting mechanical and emotional breakdowns that may result. :o I think the shipping costs would be as much if not more than the actual cost of the materials, labor and tax and licensing, though. :shock: Or you could try ordering one from noisefix. He's based out of Sydney, though. :wink:

Aloha 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:16 am 

Damn, when's this retarded technology gonna let us email SOLID things? (Imagine what that'd do for the mail-order bride biz... :wink: )

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next