John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:00 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:22 pm
Posts: 23
Location: London, England
Hi everyone
Is anyone out there using LED lights with VARIACS? If so what brand/model. What other accessories are needed. Better to run from step down transformers or is mains 230vac types ok? From what I can gather it is only the real expensive ones that are AC dimmable?
I am completely in the dark about LED lights.


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:51 pm
Posts: 2
LED technology allows for ground-breaking designs of inspiring purity and beauty. LED lights are a smart innovation in the future of lighting. Advanced technology, energy efficiency and durability put [DIRTY SPAMMER RESIDUE REMOVED BY MODERATOR] lights years ahead. A light-emitting diode (LED) is a two-lead semiconductor light source. It is a p–n junction diode, which emits light when activated. If you have difficulty to do oyur essay writing work individually,many resources like [DIRTY SPAMMER RESIDUE REMOVED BY MODERATOR] is eager to facilitate the educational process for everyone and offers its reliable writing assistance with all types of written assignments.


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:42 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:17 am
Posts: 9965
Location: Santiago, Chile
ronrogers wrote:
If you have difficulty to do oyur essay writing work individually,many resources like ... is eager to facilitate the educational process for everyone and offers its reliable writing assistance with all types of written assignments.
This is just too funny! Normally I just remove spam like this and ban the spammer, but this is too hilarious to let go so easily.

This spam is from an essay writing service, yet in their very own spam that is attempting to promote their writing skills, they demonstrate (with comedic clarity) that they don't have a clue about writing! In one single short sentence they manage to misspell "your" as "oyur", forget to put a space after the comma, and commit the grave grammatical error of not matching plurals to their verbal clauses: "many resources is eager". That should be "many resources are eager".

With such a load of glaring errors in a simple sentence, I really think I'd skip on using their service! I very much doubt that they'd be much of a Guardian of your Essay! I can just imagine how awful the outcome would be. Amusing, but awful!


- Stuart -

_________________
I want this studio to amaze people. "That'll do" doesn't amaze people.


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:45 pm
Posts: 27
Location: Brooklyn
Soundman2020 wrote:
ronrogers wrote:
If you have difficulty to do oyur essay writing work individually,many resources like ... is eager to facilitate the educational process for everyone and offers its reliable writing assistance with all types of written assignments.
This is just too funny! Normally I just remove spam like this and ban the spammer, but this is too hilarious to let go so easily.

This spam is from an essay writing service, yet in their very own spam that is attempting to promote their writing skills, they demonstrate (with comedic clarity) that they don't have a clue about writing! In one single short sentence they manage to misspell "your" as "oyur", forget to put a space after the comma, and commit the grave grammatical error of not matching plurals to their verbal clauses: "many resources is eager". That should be "many resources are eager".

With such a load of glaring errors in a simple sentence, I really think I'd skip on using their service! I very much doubt that they'd be much of a Guardian of your Essay! I can just imagine how awful the outcome would be. Amusing, but awful!


- Stuart -



Hahahahaha this is incredible! Spam is reaching new heights!


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:11 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:17 am
Posts: 9965
Location: Santiago, Chile
Quote:
Hahahahaha this is incredible! Spam is reaching new heights!
Yep! We get quite a few "essay writing services" spammers. I have no idea why! It's kinda hard to fathom the connection between "recording studio design" and essay writing...

But then again, spammers are not the most intelligent creatures on the face of God's green earth! They are not exactly known for being Mensa material! :) I think most amoeba's rank hire on the list of useful life-forms.... 8) :lol:

- Stuart -

_________________
I want this studio to amaze people. "That'll do" doesn't amaze people.


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:07 pm
Posts: 57
Location: Baltimore, MD
Anybody know if LED lights are prone to emitting ultrasonic sounds? I know some devices like motion sensors do, as do some switching power supplies. I've heard CFL's can, too.

I ask, because the primary output of my studio will be sound fx libraries that could be pitched down quite a bit. Sounds up in the 25-50kHz range quickly wind up being audible with that sort of processing. I'd like to avoid incandescent lighting due to excess heat, but if that's my only option...


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:05 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:17 am
Posts: 9965
Location: Santiago, Chile
Quote:
Anybody know if LED lights are prone to emitting ultrasonic sounds? I know some devices like motion sensors do, as do some switching power supplies. I've heard CFL's can, too.

I ask, because the primary output of my studio will be sound fx libraries that could be pitched down quite a bit. Sounds up in the 25-50kHz range quickly wind up being audible with that sort of processing. I'd like to avoid incandescent lighting due to excess heat, but if that's my only option...
LED's run on DC, not AC. The light emitting element itself is pure DC. The entire thing might be powered by AC, but in that case there will be some type of transformer, rectifier, power supply, voltage regulator, etc. The LED unit itself won't make any sound, but a poorly designed power supply might. If that's an issue for you, it might be worth your while looking for LED units where the power supply can be separate from the actual light itself, and put the power supply outside your isolation shell.

- Stuart -

_________________
I want this studio to amaze people. "That'll do" doesn't amaze people.


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:07 pm
Posts: 57
Location: Baltimore, MD
Soundman2020 wrote:
Quote:
Anybody know if LED lights are prone to emitting ultrasonic sounds? I know some devices like motion sensors do, as do some switching power supplies. I've heard CFL's can, too.

I ask, because the primary output of my studio will be sound fx libraries that could be pitched down quite a bit. Sounds up in the 25-50kHz range quickly wind up being audible with that sort of processing. I'd like to avoid incandescent lighting due to excess heat, but if that's my only option...
LED's run on DC, not AC. The light emitting element itself is pure DC. The entire thing might be powered by AC, but in that case there will be some type of transformer, rectifier, power supply, voltage regulator, etc. The LED unit itself won't make any sound, but a poorly designed power supply might. If that's an issue for you, it might be worth your while looking for LED units where the power supply can be separate from the actual light itself, and put the power supply outside your isolation shell.

- Stuart -


Interesting. I hadn't thought of having a remote psu. Thanks for the idea.

-Dan.


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:51 am
Posts: 6
DanCostello wrote:
Anybody know if LED lights are prone to emitting ultrasonic sounds?


No, not at all.

Quote:
I know some devices like motion sensors do, as do some switching power supplies. I've heard CFL's can, too.


Yes motion sensors can, because there are acoustic devices that work at those frequencies. They are usually piezo electric transducers. CFLs do because they use a "chopping" power supply which generates all kinds of electrical switching noise and the CFL bulb itself then becomes the radiator.

Quote:
I ask, because the primary output of my studio will be sound fx libraries that could be pitched down quite a bit. Sounds up in the 25-50kHz range quickly wind up being audible with that sort of processing. I'd like to avoid incandescent lighting due to excess heat, but if that's my only option...



LED lights that allow you to use a remotely located ANALOG power supply will work great. I say analog, because some switching power supplies can emit switching noise down the supply wires if not well filtered.


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 10 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group