John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:49 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:17 am 

Hello !

well, it seems I finally finished the studio…can't quite believe it. :yahoo:
After all this time spent researching, designing and building the place, it really seems unreal…
Ok, I still have to build the desk before considering it completely finished (!)…but as I said I need to wait for the studio to start paying back a little before facing more expense…so an office desk will do for now :-)

Anyway, here are a few pics of the finished place (sorry if it's a bit of a repetition of previous posts). Also the quality of the pics isn't very good, I took them with my phone and having to resize them to the forum resolution limits didn't help either :-)

CR
front:
Attachment:
Slipway Studio Control Room.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_3778.jpg

rear:
Attachment:
IMG_2436.jpg

LR
Attachment:
IMG_3759.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_3746.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_3747.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_2389.jpg

...and this is the soffit for the Live room air con unit, which double as a superchunk as well:
Attachment:
IMG_1436.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_3812.jpg

Perhaps I'll get some professional pics sooner or later, and when that'll happen I will post them here as well.

and here is the finished website, if you fancy to have a look:
http://www.slipwaystudio.com

I just wanted to say Thanks so so much to everyone that patiently guided me through this fantastic experience (Carsten, Brien, Glenn, Ro, Charlie, BriHar, Limsa-terry, RJHollins, Kevstar, Bigsby, Finck).
A special thanks of course to John for his guidance and for hosting this fantastic site… I started so naively with very little understanding of what's involved in building a studio and couldn't find a better place where to source the information I was seeking… and way way more!
But a super-mega special thanks is for Stuart for his tireless guidance and support…I couldn't have done this without your teaching. You are a Wizard - Grazie Signore !!

I'm still checking the forum daily and very much enjoy reading about other builds and I'll definitely keep to do so.

for now All the very Best and good luck to everyone !!!

Ciao

Simo

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:56 am 
Site Admin

Simo, words escape me. :shock: There's just nothing to say that can do justice to what you have achieved there. Simply amazing, stunning, and incredible.

WOW!

(This thread is now a Sticky, and is also at the top of the list of completed studios, where it deserves to be: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5842)

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:13 am 
Site Admin

Wonderful work Simone - you should be very proud. :thu:

Thanks you for sharing all your work on this forum.

cheers
john

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:54 pm 

Wow! I'm flattered :oops: - you give me a great honor making my build a thread on the forum.

Grazie !

Simo

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:06 am 

Simo--as I've said before, your build has been such an inspiration! Countless hours of effort are reflected in your designs and execution, and it's a well-deserved honor for your thread to be sitting at the top of the sticky list. The documentation of your build has been very educational to me, and I'm sure many, many others on this forum continue to benefit from the questions you posed along the way and the excellent answers you received. The success of this build is a testament not only to you, but to John and Stuart and this forum as a whole.

So thank you, Simone--you are a real artist!

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:20 am 

I'm flattered to be mentioned in the list :oops:

SIMO ... I think we all be thankful that you shared your 'build' with us here on the forum !

Secondly ... it is a pleasure to see this level of craftsmanship ! 8)

I've always looked forward to reading your thread, and hope you a busy recording schedule ... may you find time to check in and let us hear how its going.

Great stuff !
:D

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:54 am 

SIMO - i am only half way through but I had to jump to the end to leave a thank you - great thread and all these pics are really helpful.

The only shame is that I spoiled the build up by seeing the end result - amazing Simo.

BW, Ben

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:29 pm 

Thanks a lot for your kind words Mark, RJ and Ben. Much appreciated !!

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:56 am 

Hello Simo, I study your project really carefully and your work is inspiring. Congratulations for your great work!

sorry for reviving this after 3 years, If you dont mind I would like to ask you why you chose to have a 3leaf ceiling?

I can see going from outside -in that there is:
the outer shell which is your whole structure's outer ceiling.
Then insulation ,then double sheetrock.

Then again insulation and sheetrock.

And finally your inside treatment which is not concidered as a leaf.

so its mass-air-mass-air-mass. this is a 3leaf right?

why didnt you start your inside treatment directly after the double sheetrock?

also why didnt you angled the double sheetrock according to your will in order to have a sloped ceiling working in favor of not being parallel to your floor and then just add the inside treatment?

I am just trying to figure it out..
Simo or anyone else who gets the big picture please correct me if I am wrong and show me the way!

thanks!
george

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:34 pm 

Hi George and thank you.

Originally, when I decided to give it a go building my studio I wasn't confident in doing it by myself so I contacted some builders to help me build the outer shell…. well, it didn't take me long to realize that they weren't the best builders in the country (very common here in UK unfortunately) and they were cutting corners wherever possible.
It was when the outer shell was finished that I decided to do the internal build myself.
The ceiling they built was quite bad, definitely not what you could call soundproofed. I fixed it the best I could as I didn't have the budget to dismantle it and re-do it from scratch and then decided to do another leaf.
My studio is at the end of my garden and surrounded by neighbours' gardens, around 20m from my house and more from neighbours' houses, with nothing above it.
I have had very loud rock bands recording here and from outside you can't hear a thing, so I guess (considering my situation) - even if that's not the correct way to go - it was a good call :wink:

Good luck with your build!

Simo

By the way since I'm at it, here are a few more updated pics (more of them on the website http://www.slipwaystudio.com)
Please like the Slipway Studio FB page (@SlipwayRecords) or Instagram (slipwaystudio) if you can… nowadays seems to make a Big difference for business, any help with this much appreciated :-)

Attachment:
Slipway Studio_Control Room_01.jpg

Attachment:
Slipway Studio_Control Room_02.jpg

Attachment:
Slipway Studio_Control Room_03.jpg

Attachment:
Slipway Studio_Control Room_04.jpg

Attachment:
Slipway Studio_Control Room_05.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:57 pm 

Hi Simo, thank you for your answer, that is good to know!

Nice pics! ;)

I would like to ask you ssomething more if you dont mind..
if you supposedly angled the double sheetrock ceiling in order to have a sloped ceiling,
would that worked okey not being parallel to your floor?
so you could then just add the inside treatment

Or that is not a good way to go?

Thanks again,
George.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:14 am 

No problem George,

The clouds are spaced around 25 cm from the walls and the front soffits.

The front cloud was angled with a steeper angle (30°) than the one above the desk (12°), in order to create a 'wave guide effect' across the ceiling, pushing the first sound reflections away from the listening position and straight in the mouth of the rear bass trapping.

I then used the available space above the front cloud (in the wall-ceiling corner) for additional trapping with a angled super-chunk.

Hard back clouds are better than open-back ones for breaking up the modes / flutter between floor and (a flat) ceiling - angling also provides a more broadband effect than simply making it flat. Insulation in your clouds will not affect low/low-mid frequencies - whereas a angled hard top cloud will do a better job.

Also, hanging them with chains and hooks gives you the freedom to adjust the height and angle to find the right combination at any time.

Hope that helps

Simo

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:43 am 

Hi there Simo,
thanks for your detailed reply!

Your construction details and all the discussions with the other members during your construction are so much of a help for me.

Thanks again,
George.

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23