John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:02 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:58 am 

As soon as the flooring is done im going to start insulation walls. I was thinking I will finish of the insulation with plastic. This is to avoid the dust coming from the insulation and on to the equpment. And also ”plastic has the affect of retaining some of the high end (Air) in the room” (ref .John in this blog post: http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1742&start=15)

Will plastic be a good idea in my case?

After the plastic I will finish of the room with cloth FR701. But in this case I need to make a frame for the cloth so that the plastic dosent make “waves” on the fabric. Does anyone have any suggestion on the best way to mount the frames on the wall/ceiling.

Any suggestions or comments?

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:39 pm 

This week’s update. Floor finished, all wall and ceiling frames and joints caulked and isolated. My fabric has finally arrived, electrical will connected and installed at the end of this week and I’m currently looking to find the right kind of glass fo my window. Could I use plex class? Or must I use laminated glassing. Also, how thick must the glass / plex be?

So next step will be getting the window installed so I can start doing some testing with the REW acoustic software before moving forward with the treatment. ¨

In regard to the last question i posted on how to install the fabric I will build frames for the walls, wrap the fabric around the frames and mount it on the wall.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:44 am 

Quote:
I was thinking I will finish of the insulation with plastic. This is to avoid the dust coming from the insulation and on to the equpment

With caulk everywhere, I doubt this is necessary, but it won't hurt to contain the fibres and dust.

Quote:
And also ”plastic has the affect of retaining some of the high end (Air) in the room”

If you're referring to your walls, yes. For your floor, this won't do anything because your insulation is fully covered up by wood already.

Quote:
Will plastic be a good idea in my case?

For your floor, I answered above. For your walls, it depends on how you want your room to sound. You have a single room studio, so realistically you should be looking into variable acoustics for at least some of your walls. For your ceiling, maybe, some.

Quote:
Does anyone have any suggestion on the best way to mount the frames on the wall/ceiling.

Brad nail them.

Greg

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:35 am 

Hi Greg! Thanks for replying

Quote:
For your floor, I answered above. For your walls, it depends on how you want your room to sound. You have a single room studio, so realistically you should be looking into variable acoustics for at least some of your walls. For your ceiling, maybe, some.

Yes, i ment the ceiling and the walls. Mostly for keeping the fibers in but also to make sure that the room doesnt sound to dead. I will use platic on the wall and ceiling then do some measurements and treat the rest of the room accordingly (slots, base traps etc.)

Quote:
Brad nail them.

Thanks, brad nail it is..

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:10 am 

This weeks update. Finishing between the two doors.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:45 am 

What kind of glass should I go for in the control room? I have contacted the local glass shop and he listed up different alternatives. I have attached the table he sent me. So when I calculate the minimum thickness I needed the glass to be (1/3 of the thickens of my wall) ==> 25 mm (0,984 inch) /3 = 8,33 mm (0,328 inch). That gives me the minimum thickens of 8,33 mm (0,328 inch). But thicker is better, right?. So if I go for the Laminated tempered glass with thickens of 16,76 mm (0,66) that will a good choice. Or am i way of here? or should I consider the laminated glass to be two different thickness

ref: in this blogpost: http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17770#p124232

can anyone give me some feedback on this?

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:10 am 

Anyone?

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:14 am 

Quote:
What kind of glass should I go for in the control room? I have contacted the local glass shop and he listed up different alternatives. I have attached the table he sent me. So when I calculate the minimum thickness I needed the glass to be (1/3 of the thickens of my wall) ==> 25 mm (0,984 inch) /3 = 8,33 mm (0,328 inch). That gives me the minimum thickens of 8,33 mm (0,328 inch).

You used two sheets of 1/2" drywall for your walls?

If so, then your math is correct. You need at least 8.33mm LAMINATED glass for each leaf.

Quote:
But thicker is better, right?. So if I go for the Laminated tempered glass with thickens of 16,76 mm (0,66) that will a good choice. Or am i way of here? or should I consider the laminated glass to be two different thickness

I've never heard of laminated tempered glass. Where I live, it's either laminated, or tempered. You want laminated. Ask your glass shop if they can get you glass made with "acoustic PVB" instead of regular PVB. It's not a deal breaker, but the acoustic PVB will drastically improve your coincident dip.

So, looking at your chart, you should be able to go with the top most piece of glass.

Greg

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:26 am 

Gregwor wrote:
Quote:
I've never heard of laminated tempered glass. Where I live, it's either laminated, or tempered. You want laminated. Ask your glass shop if they can get you glass made with "acoustic PVB" instead of regular PVB. It's not a deal breaker, but the acoustic PVB will drastically improve your coincident dip.

So, looking at your chart, you should be able to go with the top most piece of glass.
Greg

Thanks Greg for posting! I have emailed the glass shop asking if they can get acoustic PVB laminated glass.

Report this post