John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:21 am 

Hi,
this is my first post. Glad to be onboard.
I live in Norway by the way, and I am a musician turned recordist at a passionate hobby/semi-pro level. Not my main job.

I am about to build a 2-room home studio on the ground floor in a new house/residence I am building with my wife(control room and drum booth-110dB :P. Basically two decoupled rooms ). Although a house build already far under construction, the studio came a little late onboard unfortunately.

The room:
I have 30.9 square meters available pre studio build, see attached pictures for ca dimensions. Only 2.6m regular ceiling height, 2.67 to the joists above (these joists are 30cm "tall" up to the floor boards above, will normally be filled with Glava, insulation). The house will have a balanced ventilation ("sealed house") with a central aggregate changing the air (not specific for the studio....yet). This means I could lower the ceiling (decoupled) 20cm to a final ceiling height inside the studio of 2.4m. However there is still 37 cm above the decoupled studio ceiling going up between joists 55cm apart and hitting the floor boards above. 50% of the walls are underground, built by insulated thermo blocks (type of polystyrene) called Jackon 350 which are filled with concrete, built to a height of 2.6meters. The two studio rooms`concrete slabs were partly isolated by strips of rock wool before the concrete was poured. Also, walls with adjoining rooms inside the house also got this lining. Not sure this was smart. Sewer pipes come up through the slab as well as some "water heating system" pipes. There are bedrooms above and on the side of the studio, but I am not looking to play drums while family members sleep. Watching TV above in peace and children playing undisturbed in the next-door room would be ok though. Closest neighbor is at least 15m away.

So, I already know many of my limitations, and that it will be expensive and with many compromises compared to better rooms/premises.

I have also read up on two-leaf constructions, decoupled walls and ceilings, clips/hat channels, gypsum-sandwich and green glue etc.. I will have help building this by the contractors doing the house. They have built home cinemas, but not recording studios. So, partly DIY.

I will probably ask more questions later, but I have a few things I haven't been able to find by searching through the internet and this forum.
I understand that a floating floor is often not necessary in a build like this. Especially if building on a concrete slab which is earthed. However, the way house concrete slabs are constructed and "earthed" in my area/type of ground (insulation, TEK standards, radon-block etc) is first a Layer of gravel then some form of thick rubber mats, covered with steel armor, which concrete is poured onto (English is not my first language by the way).

Please see pictures.

Questions:

1. Will this still mean this is an "earthed slab" ( as I have rubber and gravel underneath), and therefore no need for floating the floor?
2. If needed (ideally as little sound/noise as possible should escape into the house or outside) will u-boats under the floor joists, then filling with sand before the floorboards be good? Not exactly a spring floated concrete floor of course.

I appreciate all feedback. Thanks in advance.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:15 pm 

Welcome!

Quote:
I have also read up on two-leaf constructions, decoupled walls and ceilings, clips/hat channels, gypsum-sandwich and green glue etc.. I will have help building this by the contractors doing the house. They have built home cinemas, but not recording studios. So, partly DIY.

You will really have to watch the contractors every move as they typically don't "get it" and they will probably screw up something very important.

Quote:
1. Will this still mean this is an "earthed slab" ( as I have rubber and gravel underneath), and therefore no need for floating the floor?

You won't need to float the floor. You already have decoupled slabs.

My biggest concern is your room shape/layout as it doesn't really allow for symmetry or bass trapping. Also, a very important detail you need to sort out is a proper HVAC system.

Sorry about the late reply, I'm just trying to get caught up here!

Greg

Report this post