John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:56 am 

Jester,

Just in case you've not already seen this silincer...

Quote:
Take a moment to look at this:

http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=16137

it is mounted directly at the point of passage through the celing in this case - but could be used through the wall as well. The idea is to create a safe passage directly at the point of penetration.

Does that help?

Rod

From this thread: http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8496

Not seen anyone yet make a silencer box with drywall, it's all been 3/4" plywood. Rod's diagram refers to "3/4" MD0"

I'm noticing you got a window in one room, but can't exactly see where that is from your floor plan from page 1:

EDIT: Regrabbed new Floor Plan from page 1, see following posts :D

If you don' have a window in a room you need fresh air ventalation. I was just convinced (had an internal battle) to add fresh air to my room.

Also that is a pretty sizable addition for a Heat Pump to take on. Have you already done the "math" on that.

Are you planning to "Zone" your HVAC system, balancing dampers.

Marc

Last edited by guitardad72 on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:54 am 

Marc,
Yeah that's a nice looking silencer. My main problem is that I don't have a whole lot of space for silencers. The way I was thinking about doing it was to basically build a ceiling box out of JM superduct board and then cover it in gypsum. My concern is more about losing isolation by using a standard metal boot than noise traveling through the duct.

The plan you linked to isn't the one I actually went with. I just up dated the my first post with my final plans but in the process I broke your link. (sorry)

So there is a window in one of the rooms but I'm still working out how to get fresh air into all of the other rooms. I think I will either install a ERV or pull air in to my system passively.

Before I ran the duct work I talked to the builder and he said they had installed a heat pump that was capable of heating the basement as well. I didn't install any dampers but I am going to have a HVAC guy come by and make sure my system is still balanced. Hopefully when he is over we can figure out the best way to get some fresh air into the rooms.

BTW I ran all of the ducts 6 months ago so I have been through a winter with the heat pump heating the whole house. It seemed to heat just fine and didn't seem to run more.

Lief Stevens
Gleeman Productions
www.OrangeKrushBand.com

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:56 am 

Jester,

Glad your on top of your ventalation needs.

I relinked last my last psot to you new plan.

Marc

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:51 pm 

Jester wrote:
BTW I ran all of the ducts 6 months ago so I have been through a winter with the heat pump heating the whole house. It seemed to heat just fine and didn't seem to run more.

Heat takes care of itself - especially in the control room - ifthere's a screw up it always occurs with the air conditioning..........

WHat info did he require of you in order to size the HVAC......

I just sized that for a new studio in NC - and it was a 3 ton unit just to keep up with the gear in the control room...... I sized it to operate at low speed for that room - with the idea that it left him some room to grow.....

The live room and iso-booth used another 2 tons - so that's 5 tons for a studio about your size.....

SO how many watts of total gear (boards, computers, outboard gear, studio amps, powered speakers, etc., etc., etc. do you have in the room?

here - look at the attached - you can download the spreadsheet at my website ifyou wish........

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:24 pm 

My unit is made by Comfortmaker it says SEER 13, 8.0 HSPF, and 1 1/2 - 5 Tons. Hopefully I won't have to replace this thing. I guess I will have a better idea after I meet with the HVAC guy.

Hey Rod what is your websites URL? Any thoughts on my silencer/boot?

BTW your book is great! I have bought every studio construction book that I have come across and most of them were painful to try to read. Yours has been a joy to read. It was a real lifesaver when I was trying to explain to my electrician what I needed done. In fact I gave him the book and told him to read chapter 6. Thanks for a great book.

Lief Stevens
Gleeman Productions
www.OrangeKrushBand.com

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:17 am 

Hey Jester,
Like you I am installing an ERV. It will be connected to my basement heat pump/air handler system specifically for my Studio. At the present time I'm planning on tying my air supply and return of my ERV into my air handler supply and return. (That's one of the different installation options for my ERV). I talked with a HVAC tech and he stated I needed to balance the amount of return I'm taking out of my air handler to my ERV with the amount of supply I'm sending from my ERV supply to my air handler supply. Hopefully, all this will work out ok.

You're probably going about it the right way by talking to a HVAC installer who could put it in for you also. I purchased my ERV (Fantech)from a place I saw on the internet. (Nothing was wrong with the transaction or the unit itself as far as I can tell) Most HVAC installers here act like my ERV has a PLAGUE! It's like this..."Hey, you no-buy your ERV from me, I do NO work on your ERV"!! After trying different installers I finally said, "the HECK with this...I'll put it in myself". I'm sure I can mount it and tie the duct lines into my air handler, but I MAY need some help in balancing the ERV. I finally found one guy who is giving me info on his knowledge of installing an ERV...that was a pure BLESSING.

I did wonder something though...even though the Studio equipment will generate heat, how much a factor is it that a basement has a 12-18 degree (at least in my basement) lower temp than outside the house? Wouldn't it make the HVAC system work a little less harder? (I'm only speaking about temp control not dehumidifying)

Thanx!

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:17 am 

Great thread! Sorry I took so long to check it out and to answer your question in my thread. I updated yesterday, but just in case you missed it, I'll also drop my answer here:

Q: "I'm trying to figure out how to attach my flex duct to my ceiling. I was thinking about making a box out of duct board and it looks like thats what you did. How did you attach these to dry wall of your ceiling. Any more detail on how you did this would be appreciated."
-----------------------------
A: The process was that they created a 2x6 soffit around when the flex duct was going to live. They temporarily used straps to keep the flex duct up and then, before the drywall install, they used plywood to seal up the soffit and compress the ducting into more of a uniform oval shape so that there wouldn't be any kinks in the ducting and air would flow smoothly. This was then dry-walled over when they did the ceiling.

Let me know if this answers your question.

Here's the pic that I refer to in my thread. I hope this helps. Great work!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:05 pm 

I wanted to get everyone’s thoughts on my HVAC system before I order all the parts. I recently did a voice over session with 9 people and the room got insanely stuffy and hot. It made me decide to bite the bullet and install a split system. I’m thinking of getting a dual system with one unit in the control room and one in the main room. What units do people recommended? I have been looking at the Sanyo SEER 13 dual zone 9,000 btu unit. There are some ridiculously cheap mini splits on ebay (Bonair) anyone have any experience with them?

For fresh air I’m planning on installing a ERV/HRV and connecting it to my existing forced air system (heat pump). Is the best way to do this to connect the supply and return to the to the forced air system return? The forced air system will then have a send and return run to each room. This will provide fresh air to all rooms as well as heating and cooling to my two smaller rooms that don’t have mini splits.

Another option I have considered is running the ERV/HRV directly to each room in the studio. If I did this I wouldn’t run the forced air to the studio. That would leave my small iso and drum rooms with fresh air but without air conditioning and heat. I live in Asheville NC and the temperatures are fairly mild so this might be a good option.
I’m thinking of using an AIRIVA HE150 or a Fantech VHR 1404. Anyone have any experience with these? Not sure if I should use a HRV or an ERV. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lief Stevens
Gleeman Productions
www.OrangeKrushBand.com

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:17 pm 

I’m starting to lean toward not using the existing HVAC system and just sending fresh air directly from the ERV to each room. AC and heat will be provided by a dual split system with one unit in the control room and the other in the larger live room. My other 2 small rooms won’t be used as much, shouldn’t ever have more than one person in them, and no heat generating equipment. I’m ready to get going with this so I would greatly appreciate you opinions.

Lief Stevens
Gleeman Productions
www.OrangeKrushBand.com

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:04 pm 

I have already run a bunch of flex duct but after reading Rod’s comments and the ERV install info I am thinking about installing metal round duct. Have other people who have used flex duct had any problems? I have a very limited amount of space so duct board isn’t an option. If I use round metal duct should I use a liner? Does anyone make a lined metal duct or are people using JM liner? What size duct should I use?

Lief Stevens
Gleeman Productions
www.OrangeKrushBand.com

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 am 

I'm bumping your question Jester, as I'm very interested in the answer as well, since I'm using flex duct on my tiny project, and hoping for the best.

www.myspace.com/billshoup

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:55 pm 

Well I ordered Fantech SER 1504 ERV and a Sanyo dual mini split system with 9000 btu indoor units. I was bit worried about getting the HVAC system right but as luck would have it my new roommate is a HVAC installer so that should help. I’m excited about getting this phase of the studio done.

Lief Stevens
Gleeman Productions
www.OrangeKrushBand.com

Report this post

Post subject: symetry
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:56 pm 

hey i'm a new member, i was looking over your plan which looks great. i think you might be blowing what would otherwise be a perfectly symetrycal control room by having different sized windows on left/ right sides. although the effects may be minimal it creates an asymterycal control room.[/i]

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:18 pm 

I have received and installed my ERV. Yea! My original order for the ERV and mini split was canceled as they didn’t have the fantech in stock and I decided to wait till the drywall was up to order the mini splits. I ended up getting a Broan-NuTone ERV90HCS. I used metal duct lined with duct liner for most of the duct work. The ERV has oval ports so I used flex duct to connect it to the metal duct. I also used a few feet of flex duct at the end of the runs to help isolate the duct work. Each of the four rooms in the studio has a supply and return. Each run will end in a silencer box

Lief Stevens
Gleeman Productions
www.OrangeKrushBand.com

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:34 pm 

Thought I would post some pictures of my silencer boxes being constructed. I ended up doing them a bit different than the plan I posted on the last page. I built them using 5/8” OSB and lined them with 1” duct liner. I then sealed them with acoustic sealant. There are 8 total, two for each room. For some reason I didn’t think they would take long to make but like everything else about studio construction they did. I will post some pictures of the being installed in a bit.

Lief Stevens
Gleeman Productions
www.OrangeKrushBand.com

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next