John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:18 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:34 pm 

Thought I would post some pictures of my silencer boxes being constructed. I ended up doing them a bit different than the plan I posted on the last page. I built them using 5/8” OSB and lined them with 1” duct liner. I then sealed them with acoustic sealant. There are 8 total, two for each room. For some reason I didn’t think they would take long to make but like everything else about studio construction they did. I will post some pictures of the being installed in a bit.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lief Stevens
Gleeman Productions
www.OrangeKrushBand.com

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:11 pm 

nice job!

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:41 pm 

I bought resilient channel (RC-1) to be installed on my ceiling but am now having second thoughts. I need help deciding if I should use it or just go without. The walls are double wall steel frame construction but I think the ceiling may be a weak point. The ceiling consists of a layer of plywood on the upstairs side which I have beefed up with a layer or drywall. There is an 18” cavity and I am using r-19 fluffy fiberglass insulation. The joists are 20” OC and I was planning on installing the RC-1 16” OC with layers of 5/8” and ½” drywall.

I have been reading that it’s nearly impossible to install without shorts and that even a single short will negate the benefit of using it. I’m also a bit worried about the RC-1 bearing the weight of 2 layers of drywall. I have already installed the RC-1 in my control room but I would be willing to remove it if people think the RC-1 is a bad idea. Would I be better off with just 2 layers of drywall and perhaps Green Glue?

If I do end up using it are there any tricks to installing it? I can’t seem to find installation instructions anywhere.

Lief Stevens
Gleeman Productions
www.OrangeKrushBand.com

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:13 am 

Those are really nice silencer boxes.

Now I have a simple question for the experts: do these boxes have to stand horizontally or can also perform efficiently when set on a vertical position?

thanks in advance

alex.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:55 am 

Resilient Channels:
A Proven Liability :
http://www.quietsolution.com/Multifamily_RC.pdf

Just 'cause I like to be different...which is really difficult to do in a house full of people that just like to be different.

http://www.dietrichindustries.com/produ ... _DMF07.PDF
"Double leg resilient installation is typically used for ceiling applications with multiple layers of gypsum board." /quote

Is there an echo ;)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:51 pm 

What what. I read the “A Proven Liability” pdf while I think it raises some good points I find it suspect that it’s on a site selling a competitive product. I really wish the companies that make resilient channel would publish some info about their products. Still on the wall about using RC-1. I’m finding a lot conflicting views about using it.

Lief Stevens
Gleeman Productions
www.OrangeKrushBand.com

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:26 pm 

There's some good posts (well, can anyone ever find a bad one?) by Rod on using RC on (double stud) walls. In general, don't.

On ceilings, yes.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:35 am 

[quote="xSpace"]Resilient Channels:
A Proven Liability :
http://www.quietsolution.com/Multifamily_RC.pdf

Just 'cause I like to be different...which is really difficult to do in a house full of people that just like to be different.

http://www.dietrichindustries.com/produ ... _DMF07.PDF
"Double leg resilient installation is typically used for ceiling applications with multiple layers of gypsum board." /quote

Space,

Quietsolutions is pushing much more expensive alternatives to RC-1 - so one would expect them to market how bad a less expensive alternative is.

Contractors can prote ct themselves from liability by simply having field tests performed to prove the product prior to sales or tennancy (in the case of apartments) if they so choose - then anything that changes is obviously caused by the tennant or new owner.

As far as the code requirements go - it's STC 50 min for apartments unless the test is in the field - then it's STC-45.

And the key word with Dietrich is "typically"........ RC-1 is acceptable for 2 layers of 5/8" drywall - beyond that RC-2 is required.

Sincerely,

Rod

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:04 am 

Let me explain.

What matters is that there is a bill and it is alive that could be directly related to improper install. I know that 75 percent of statistics in any conversation are made up on the spot, fact remains, people install products incorrectly. Installing this specific product incorrectly leads to reduced or no benefit.

edit:
Plus, it has things to NOT do when installing

It isn't about quietsolutions....

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:25 am 

Well I passed my framing, mechanical and electrical inspections yay! I picked a ton of rockwool and had 190 sheets of drywall delivered. However it appears I did my walls wrong. I connected them directly to my trusses which I know from an acoustical perspective is not the best way to go. I felt more comfortable with them connected what with the heavy glass windows and doors. The real problem however is that my trusses are the prefab 2”x4” type and they are designed to deflect (bend). So you can’t build load bearing walls beneath them. So I have to redo all of my walls ahhh! It kind of annoys me that the 2 building inspectors and contractors that came by didn’t catch it. Rod caught this and has given me some good advice. Here is the thread http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3386&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=c0a687460f90d7117716fd20ff82d1b2
I also contacted a mechanical engineer and he advised me to use a slip track to make my walls non-load bearing. I still figuring it all out but I’m going to have to do it quickly as all my drywall and insulation is sitting outside under tarps. In the meantime here are some pictures.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lief Stevens
Gleeman Productions
www.OrangeKrushBand.com

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:30 am 

Jester wrote:
So you can’t build load bearing walls beneath them. So I have to redo all of my walls ahhh! It kind of annoys me that the 2 building inspectors and contractors that came by didn’t catch it.

That's news to me.

As a matter of installation, it is recommended by manufacturers to first install a sheetrock ceiling to help bind the joists together and move as one.

That is one of the benefits of these joists, freedom to place walls where one sees fit.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:16 pm 

It was news to me as well! I was planning to be installing drywall starting last week. I talked to a contractor today who builds a lot of houses with this type of floor tress insist that building the walls like I did was fine. I’m a bit torn but I guess I will be redoing all my walls starting tomorrow. I talked to reps today and assuming everything goes as planned I will be picking up WIC sway braces and fast top clips tomorrow http://www.dietrichmetalframing.com/pro ... _20_21.pdf

BTW has any one used the WIC braces and what spacing did you use?

Lief Stevens
Gleeman Productions
www.OrangeKrushBand.com

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:16 am 

It’s been a while since I have posted anything but I have been hard at work. After consulting with a structural engineer, a contractor, my building inspector and lots of advice from Rod I ended up redoing all my walls to allow for deflection. I used Fast Top Clips http://www.dietrichmetalframing.com/pro ... _20_21.pdf on all of the walls of studio 1, voc booth, and the airlock. The walls of the control room and studio 2 are no longer attached to the ceiling trusses at all but are instead attached to existing walls with WIC sway braces. I passed my inspection again. Here are some pictures of the insulation going in.

Lief Stevens
Gleeman Productions
www.OrangeKrushBand.com

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:19 am 

More Pictures

Lief Stevens
Gleeman Productions
www.OrangeKrushBand.com

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:04 am 

Here are some pictures of the drywall going up. All walls and the ceiling are getting a layer of 5/8" and a layer of 1/2". Since I am using slip track (fast top clips) I have to leave a gap at the top of each wall. It also means I am doing my ceilings last. I'm going to have to use some sort of trim and lot of acoustic sealer where the walls and ceiling meet.

Seems like I have been drywalling forever! I finally finish a room and then I have to do it all again. Up until now I have done (with the exception of some of the electrical) all of the work myself. For the drywall I did hire a pro to help me. I also had a drywall party which ended in a mud fight. I'm almost done with my second layer of drywall and am just starting on the ceiling. I did buy a drywall lift to help and I'm so glad I did!

I got a quote for glass today. My control room windows are 3'x5' and 3'x3' and each will have a pane of 3/8" and 1/2" glass.
The quote was Annealed = $637.89 , Tempered = $841.10 , Laminated = $2266
I can't afford the laminated so I guess I'll go for the tempered.

Lief Stevens
Gleeman Productions
www.OrangeKrushBand.com

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next