John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:15 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Lost Studios 3.0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:00 am 

I'm back for more fun and punishment as Stuart would call it. Long story short (way short) I sold my last home and studio 2 years ago. I have been using my Buddies studio since then that I built for him a couple years back. Cellarstudios.net

This will be my 5th build and every time I finish one I truly cannot wait to start the next. I thoroughly enjoy building these. I have procrastinated on this one, since I am leasing the space and wasn't sure I wanted to commit to the expense and tear it down when I decide to leave or move. But finally, I made the decision to build a smaller version of what I had previously. All my gear has been in storage or over at Cellar Studios and hated seeing it sit idle.....

The decision on how large it would be (or small) depended on how much space I could give up for my daytime business. We moved quite a bit of material and equipment around, sold and discarded some, just to make enough space. And came up with a 13x30 area in the warehouse.
I must say after all the other builds this has been by far the easiest. Not for the simple fact I have built these before, or have learned what not to do :shock: , but because I am building in a dry, large and no limit space. All my tools are at hand and I didn't have to build around obstacles or make accommodations for existing conditions.
Plus I decided to build in increments of even footage (2', 4', 8' etc.) as to not have much waste or excessive cutting. This has proven not only a money saver but a labor savings as well. Currently I have 40 man hours (all done by myself) But will have help with the ceiling. Which I hope to start this week or next.

The plan as it has happened so far and the next steps are as follows.
I'm terrible at Sketch up or don't have the patience to learn, so all you get is a basic floor plan :oops:

I have kept the structure/studio away from the existing building and the only hard connection is the floor.
All walls double layered sheet rock and caulked like crazy :horse:
Control room 10x12x8 high, all inside out walls and ceilings (single leaf)
Live room 12x16x10 high, Two inside out walls and two hard walls. Ceiling will be a hard surface. RSIC and hat channel ceiling.
Live room will be MAM (double wall decoupled) construction.
I kept all my midrange absorbers from the last studio and will re-use those.
Flush mount monitors ( and yes Stuart, I plan on making them more stable than at present :D )
Polished concrete floors
Bass traps at wall to ceiling junction. Trying to save as much floor space as possible
The doors that join the control room and live room will be solid wood frame with glass panels.
The doors that join the outside to the live room will be solid core.
All doors will have automatic sweeps and type K trunk rubber gaskets
Electrical will be all surface mount.
Fresh air fans and HVAC will be installed above the control room with silencers and ducting. Dual silencers above the live room.
Snake is already installed behind the wall.

I need to add that material cost look like they will run about $10 a square foot. (not including HVAC) And what I attribute that to is keeping the increments at even numbers and therefore very little waste. Plus no obstacles. Presently I am at $2100. I will keep you posted as that number grows.
Enjoy, comment or just peruse as I do daily with all of your posts.
Peace
T

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Lost Studios 3.0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:07 am 

And more pics

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:09 am 

and more

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:12 am 

and even more

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:28 am 

Dammit, Tom, you sure are a masochist! Some people stick sharp nails deep into their skin, others whip themselves with pieces of glass, but that's not enough for you! Nope, you go all the way to extreme self-torture, and build more studios!!!
:) :roll: :shot:

Seriously, congratulations on having the courage to do that! Most people can stomach one build, maybe two, max. But FIVE! Wow.

Quote:
And came up with a 13x30 area in the warehouse.
Nice!

Quote:
Flush mount monitors ( and yes Stuart, I plan on making them more stable than at present
I would certainly hope so! That present structure looks like it would be about right for soffit-mounting an iPhone ear bud!! :) :shot: :lol: 8)

Quote:
Bass traps at wall to ceiling junction. Trying to save as much floor space as possible
You'll probably need some in the vertical corners too. Are you planning to use John's system of hangers under the speaker shelf, inside the soffit, and my system of abundant porous absorption in the "wedge" above the top of the soffit box?

Quote:
Fresh air fans and HVAC will be installed above the control room with silencers and ducting.
Make sure that your fans are accessible without having to break down walls or ceilings... cleaning, maintenance, repair, replacement...

Quote:
Attachments:
I hope that's not an accurate, scale representation of where you plan to put your soffits! :)

It's good to have you back, Tom! I'll be following your new build, so I can enjoy watching you torture yourself! :)

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:33 am 

Stuart,

Quote:
Seriously, congratulations on having the courage to do that! Most people can stomach one build, maybe two, max. But FIVE! Wow.

I am planning on adding Studio Construction to my current business model. I thought about it two years ago but kinda pushed it under the rug until now. I am sure I will be lucky to build even one a year, but doesn't hurt to try

Quote:
Quote:
You'll probably need some in the vertical corners too. Are you planning to use John's system of hangers under the speaker shelf, inside the soffit, and my system of abundant porous absorption in the "wedge" above the top of the soffit box?

Live room....I am hoping the two inside out walls plus a ceiling to wall bass trap will be enough for the live room. If not I can always build 1 or 2 verticals later. I truly want as much floor space as I can get.

Control room...Because off the size of my console (8'x3') the ends will fit underneath the monitors and almost flush to the front wall, and yes I will fill the upper part of the soffit with " abundant porous absorption" :D I also have the two rear vertical bass traps. Plus all walls and ceiling are inside out.

Quote:
Quote:
Fresh air fans and HVAC will be installed above the control room with silencers and ducting.
Make sure that your fans are accessible without having to break down walls or ceilings... cleaning, maintenance, repair, replacement...

Absolutely, I basically have a storage deck above the control room where I can access all the fans and HVAC

Quote:
Quote:
Attachments:
I hope that's not an accurate, scale representation of where you plan to put your soffits! :)

Haha , Maybe in my next life I will be an architect :P I measured them out on the floor and have my soffits positioned for 90 degree at 38%. In addition I will have another monitor set closer in at a 60 degree on stands

Quote:
It's good to have you back, Tom! I'll be following your new build, so I can enjoy watching you torture yourself! :)

Happy to be back posting instead of just reading
T

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:54 am 

A little more progress, Putting the lid on tonight

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:37 am 

Finally got the lid on, insulated and caulked. Started the taping and mudding and will be installing the silencers this eve.
Plus all the rough in wiring is completed, Need to get the electrician out to hook up to the panel.

I have been toying with many ideas for the wall going into the control room and settled on Notty Cedar. And after listening to Stuart about vertical bass traps in the live room I came up with a conventional way to satisfy his concerns and mine at the same time. Hoping to get those started this eve as well.
Trunk rubber and more fabric showed up today so we will get some of the fabric installed as well.
Enjoy the pics
Peace
T

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:42 am 

and a few more

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:00 am 

Every time you think you are finished with the caulking another case gets used up in a hurry. :shock:

In my past build I have always had to make my silencer boxes with MDF or strand board/plywood. But this time because of the surface area I had to work with I chose 2x10s. This proved to be the quickest I have ever build these and most effective. The insulation is Earthwool by Knauff. "OC 703 equivalent" Not any cheaper but it was what they had.
Got some painting done and started the finish work.

I am having a hard time finding an available electrician to hook me all up. Everyone is booked out until January.
Enjoy the pics
T

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:52 pm 

Quote:
In my past build I have always had to make my silencer boxes with MDF or strand board/plywood. But this time because of the surface area I had to work with I chose 2x10s. This proved to be the quickest I have ever build these and most effective. The insulation is Earthwool by Knauff. "OC 703 equivalent"
Tom, are you CERTAIN that stuff is proper duct liner? It looks like ordinary insulation wool to me... the surface does not seem to be protected in any way from air erosion and shedding fibers... Also, I noticed that you have no baffles in there, so low frequencies will still get through, and the spacing doesn't look right at all: the open area around the ends of the wool "chunks" seems to have a smaller area than the feed duct... There won't be any useful impedance with that layout. The insertion loss won't be very high.

Is this maybe just a temporary silencer box, to get you going quickly, and will be replaced with a proper one later?

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:43 am 

Stuart,
It is a compressed rigid insulation. Probably hard to tell from the pics. Not to worry :D

On a happy note I finally got an electrician. :yahoo: ..He is coming out in 5 days to get me hooked up.

Installed lights and all the wood trim. ( well a few more pieces) and I'm all done with the wood. Installed a snare rack, Got glass ordered for the windows, 1/2" laminate. Should be in next week
AC unit and fresh air should be completed by the end of the week just in time for power and hopefully start moving in gear in two weeks time.
Peace
T

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:29 am 

Great to see your build coming along so fast. Subscribed.

I'm curious as to how you applied the fabric facing to the corner traps and inside out walls. I presume that you attached it to the frame with a staple gun while stretching it out by hand, and then covered the staples with wood fascia? Is this correct or have you used some other method?

May I also ask what fabric you used?

Cheers!

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:47 pm 

chrispire wrote:
Great to see your build coming along so fast. Subscribed.

I'm curious as to how you applied the fabric facing to the corner traps and inside out walls. I presume that you attached it to the frame with a staple gun while stretching it out by hand, and then covered the staples with wood fascia? Is this correct or have you used some other method?

May I also ask what fabric you used?

Cheers!

Hey Chris,
You are correct. By hand with staple gun. And a little care to stretch as you go.
Regular fabric that you can push air through. Cheapest you can find as long as you can't see through it works well.
Peace
T

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:20 am 

First session last night and everything went smoothly.
A few more pictures and a few more to come when I get my new video monitors in.
Peace
T

Report this post