John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:45 pm 

I've been working on building a control room at my new house for the last few weeks. I got the first layer of drywall up all around and just about finished putting the second layer on the ceiling. I drew marks on the walls where the hat channel ran on the ceiling and then hit it with a chalk line. For some stupid reason, the hat channel was not near the chalk line leading me to drive about 5 extra screws through both layers of drywall and green glue. I can't help but feel that this is going to cost me some serious STC points. What is the best way to correct this issue? Joint compound? Caulk? Acoustic sealant? Ripping it all down and pulling my hair out? I'd really hate to go through all of this work (and money) and not have the best outcome possible.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:45 pm 

Hi Jeff. Please read the forum rules for posting (click here). You seem to be missing a couple of things! :)

That said, if your screws are still in place and you did not remove them, then your best bet is probably just to leave them there, and don't touch them. They have plenty of mass, and are probably sealing the holes quite well, so that's all you need. However, do make absolutely certain that they are not touching anything else behind the drywall! You don't want them short-circuiting the decoupling.

If you already took them out, then just fill the holes with good quality caulk. Force it in deep. It does not matter if it goes too deep and drips out the other side, but you do want to make sure that it gets at least 2/3 of the hole filled.

I did notice that you mentioned hat channel: I'm assuming that you have that decoupled with RSIC clips, or some such?

- Stuart -

Report this post