John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Hawaiian Home Question
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:06 pm 

I'm unsure if this falls under Construction, Design, or neither, but this can be moved appropriately if I'm wrong.

First off, this is my first post, so just to put it out there, here's my background. I am an aspiring producer, mixer, songwriter (etc.) from Hawaii. I have temporary treatment in the first reflection points (left, right, ceiling) with cheap foam and faux-bass traps in the front corners using my friend's leftover Auralex Sonolite bass traps (the bigger one) and just a little more foam on the back wall.

Room: 12' x 9.5' x 7.5' (lwh)

As far as this thread goes, I am not asking about the acoustics problems that arise in my specific room--I will tackle my specific room at a later time (when money comes and need arises), but more asking about any mindset differences I need to take into consideration while building/treating a non-studded house.

Is there anyone from Hawaii who can comment on treating a typical Hawaiian "single wall construction" room?
I guess I can open this up to people not from here. From what I've gathered, there are no studs in my walls. They are tongue-in-groove vertical redwood panels. My knowledge on this is limited, I'm pretty positive that there are no studs in the walls. This type of construction was made for Hawaiian homes with tropical climate in mind (as far as I know), and make for horrible isolation. Luckily, isolation is NOT my focus here. Treatment is more my concern, because if I ever need a better space, I'll hopefully just knock the whole thing down and build up to the current (normal) standards. I could go modular and free-standing--and will if it is the only way--but I don't like the look, and the floor space is limited.

My questions/concerns are basic. What is the best way to mount treatment (freestanding, mounted on-wall, etc.)? Does anyone know how much weight these walls can handle? I know it varies, but it doesn't seem like any of these walls can handle anything, but that's what I need to know. If I can't mount on these walls, I won't.

Are there any differences as far as treating the room? Do I have the whole thing wrong? Lol, I just don't know much about it and would like to learn more. There doesn't seem to be any information about these houses, pertaining to studio construction or basic weight-handling, anywhere on the internet. I chose to post here because I saw that there are a couple from Hawaii here.

Sorry if this is not compliant to the rules, but I think I got them all.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:36 am 

Hi there, and welcome! Just saw this, when I was looking for something else. I guess I must have missed it the first time... :oops:

Quote:
From what I've gathered, there are no studs in my walls. They are tongue-in-groove vertical redwood panels. My knowledge on this is limited, I'm pretty positive that there are no studs in the walls.
That does not sound right: I've never heard of walls built with out studs: Yuo do have a roof over your head, right? It must be supported structurally in some manner. My guess would be studs, but if not then there is something else in there supporting the roof. I very much doubt that tongue and groove panels would alone would pass inspection for that!

I'd check with local contractors, and ask about that.

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:37 pm 

I’m really sorry for necroing this post, but I just refound it while doing some research again. It is 100% studless. From the info I gathered, the walls are simply tongue and groove panels, mounted vertically like a box. It’s a very very simple technique that has been phased out, starting with the rise in the specific wood prices. Wires are put on the bare surface and covered with wood trim. If I poke a hole anywhere in the wall, I’ll have a clear view of the outside or the next room. Every part of it is load bearing, and the roof is supported solely by these walls, and adds rigidity, apparently. I’m not sure how it’s attached, but I hope it is lol.

I believe the foundation is “post and pier” as well. I still am not sure about the exact intricacies of it all, but I know for sure that there aren’t studs. Doors and entry ways are simply cut out after the walls go up.

But yeah, there are more articles and blog posts about it now than when I first posted, so if you’re curious at all, I could just be a “the more you know” type of thing, lol. I’ll probably be frequenting this site more often so I just wanted to clarify my situation before doing so.

Report this post