John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:55 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:57 am 

So basically the room is concrete floors at the moment in the basement, room dimensions are 20 ft long 10 ft wide with 8 ft ceilings. The walls are bare right now just studs and insulation and I want to have the room as soundproof as possible for the cheapest price. I dont even know where to begin or what to look for or the right way to ge about this all i know is that i dont want to mess up because once the drywall is up im not going to remove it so any help is appreciated, where do i start what are the right soundproofing materials i will need? I can provide pictures but let me know how you would go about it!

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:03 am 
Site Admin

Hi. Please read the forum rules for posting (click here). You seem to be missing a couple of things! :)

To learn the basics of how to isolate your room, and how to design and treat it, I'd suggest two books: "Master Handbook of Acoustics" by F. Alton Everest (that's sort of the Bible for acoustics), and "Home Recording Studio: Build it Like the Pros", by Rod Gervais. The first one will give you the background in acoustics that you need to be able to design a studio, and the second one will give you the basics for actually designing it and building it.

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:30 am 

Im not looking to make a top of the line thousand dollar studio im asking peoplr for their opinions on building a chea studio ex what kind of drywall sound proofing and insulation i should be using any help is helpful, thank you.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:51 am 
Site Admin

There is an announcement at the top of the forum about what to do to assure getting as many responses as possible.
The announcement leads to this post (click here). Actually, several people on this forum who are experts will most likely not reply if you don't do what is written in that post. Many others who are very helpful, will probably not reply out of respect for the moderators' wishes.

Quote:
the room is concrete floors at the moment in the basement,
Good. That's the best possible floor for a studio.

Quote:
room dimensions are 20 ft long 10 ft wide with 8 ft ceilings.
That's the minimum recommended size for a control room, so that's fine.

Quote:
The walls are bare right now just studs and insulation and I want to have the room as soundproof as possible for the cheapest price.
First, you have to define what you mean by "soundproof". That means different things to different people. If you mean "isolation", as in "stopping sound from getting in and out of the room", then you first need to define how much isolation you need, in terms of decibels. Without having a goal, it's impossible to say what materials or techniques you would need.

Quote:
I dont even know where to begin or what to look for or the right way to ge about this
That's why you need those books! This is a "self help" forum, where you at leas have to put in some effort. Nobody is going to design a studio for you for free! It seems that's what you want, but it isn't going to happen. You first have to at least do some basic research, define what you want in real terms, and do a rough layout of what you have in mind. Then people here will happily help you improve your design, and tell you what you need to do next. That's how the forum works. If you want someone to design your place for you, then you will have to hire them to do that. Or if you want to do it yourself, then you'll have to put in some effort to the design. And the best way I know of to get started, so you can "know where to begin" and "what to look for or the right way to go about this", is in those books. They are NOT meant for building expensive pro studios: they ARE meant for people just like you, who want to build a small, inexpensive home studio, and don't know how to get started. That's why I recommended them for you, since they are exactly what you need.

- Stuart -

Report this post