John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:43 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:38 pm 

Hello everybody,

I am planning to upgrade my interface to an focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and then via the ADAT connection ad 8 more channels with a preamp. Also I notice the interface have a S/PDIF in and out. I have read that this type of connection can support two more inputs. My first question is what equipment I need that have two inputs to connect via de S/PDIF connection ? It´s just another audio interface with two inputs that have a S/PDIF out and then connecting it to the Scarlett via the in S/PDIF ? Or I need another type of equipment ?

In addition, the 18i20 have 8 outputs and If I create a headphone mix for each output the sound is in mono. There is a way of converting the mono signal to stereo ? I know that you can do it with to outputs for one musician, for them to hear in stereo, but I don't want to waste two inputs because I will need more than 4 mixes. There is something that I can buy or do in the software that converts the mono signal to stereo to only use one output, and the musician can hear itself in stereo ?
There is a possibility to add a headphone preamp with more outputs, but my main problem is that I can't connect via ADAT because I already have the Mic Preamp. I don't know if there is another way of connecting it, but I suppose that the first possibility is more viable.

Thanks.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:26 am 

Quote:
I have read that this type of connection can support two more inputs

Yes. It's just a different form factor. You're best off to do a google search or read the manual for that. The bottom line is that you need a preamp that has that type of connector. It's that simple.

Quote:
the 18i20 have 8 outputs and If I create a headphone mix for each output the sound is in mono.

I don't want to waste two inputs because I will need more than 4 mixes.

That interface works alright for most people. But, I will say this: My friend owns it and it's DSP is very weak and limited. That's why it's affordable compared to something like the RME UFX series of interfaces. The Focusrite only has so much processing power built in. Therefore, it does NOT allow you to have all inputs and outputs running at the same time. You have to choose where to allocate the DSP. So, if you're tracking a live kit, it will allow you to have like 1 or 2 outputs going. And vise versa... say you're doing a gang vocal recording and you have only 1 mic up and need multiple outputs for headphones mixes, it will work for that. In short, you can have:
lots of input, minimal number of outputs
OR
minimal number of inputs with lots of outputs

For what you want, I'd suggest getting something more capable such as the RME UFX. The basic original UFX design allows 30 inputs and 30 outputs at once, all with eq and dynamics processing as well as effects, mid-side processing, polarity flipping, etc. It has that, plus it has 30 channels you can route from your DAW to blend in! It's a beast, and cheap. The best part about RME are the drivers for the hardware. It doesn't get better.

Greg

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:50 am 

There may very well be audio quality problems that I can't hear, but the routing on the 18i20 is very useful to me once you wrap your head around their mix control software. The max load I've had it under is four custom mixes at a time with 7 of the analog ins and 8 more through the ADAT input simultaneously.

You can create 8 mono, or 4 stereo custom mixes using the outs. The monitoring is advertised as zero latency when tracking, and it seems close enough to that for me. In the custom mixes you can choose any combination of live inputs, daw outputs etc..

I did what you're saying you want to do - eventually I connected a nicer pre to the ADAT input.

Anyway I'm personally really happy with the above aspects of this interface just my two cents.

Report this post