John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:25 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:24 am 

Unanswered questions, awaiting response:

1) "E.g. it can be designed to absorb twenty times more than the high quality bass traps of today," First, define what it is you are measuring! "Twenty times more" of what? Power? Energy? Frequency range? Money? Something else? Are you really claiming that your device provides damping of room modes that is 26 dB greater than the current best designs?

2) "this can correspond to giving you an extra 26dB efficiency,". In simple terms, you are claiming that I could take a typical two-leaf studio wall, with each leaf consisting of drywall mounted on a stud frame with suitable insulation in the cavity. I measure the isolation, note that it is providing 60 dB TL across the spectrum of interest. I then remove the insulation (since it isn't necessary, and in any case is taking up the space where your device will be), I install your device, and when I measure the TL again, you say it will now be 86 dB?

3) "it can help block the low frequencies from going out the window or doorway, without actually blocking the window or doorway, " If I understand that claim correctly, you are saying that the wall in the above example would continue to provide 86 dB TL even if it has a door in it, and the door is OPEN? Or if I remove the door completely, leaving an empty doorway? That's an even more outrageous claim, since you are claiming magical properties for your device. How would it prevent sound from traveling through an open hole?

4 ) "it uses low impedance to reflect the sound," Explain. What type of impedance are we talking about? Lower than that of empty air? How would your device create such a low impedance "force field" (my term, since I can't think of any other way to describe what you are claiming) in the empty doorway?

5 ) "where as a wall will simply cause the sound to be attracted to the window or doorway which have the lower impedance." Say what? Please explain in what way a normal wall causes sound to be "attracted" to the window. What is this "attractive" property that you are talking about? What physical mechanism causes sound to be "attracted" by some objects, but not by others?

6 ) "it may function on its own for a lifetime without needing a battery charge, i.e. it may use several microwatts." So it requires electrical power? What for?

7 ) Are you saying that you can accomplish the same in something the size of a doorway?

8 )Are you saying that I could replace an entire Superchunk bass trap with something the size of a shoe-box?

9 ) You claimed that "it uses low impedance to reflect the sound". Yet you now claim that it does NOT use low impedance, but rather HIGH impedance, in order to create an impedance mismatch. So which is it? Does it "use low impedance to reflect sound"? Or does it use higher mass and higher stiffness to get that impedance mismatch, as you seem to be claiming now?

10 ) Are you saying that the impedance offered by your device is substantially LOWER that that of air?

11 ) Is this a vacuum based device, where you have a much lower air pressure inside the device than out?

12 ) In order to have any useful effect acoustically, the impedance of your device would have to be either substantially lower than that of air, or substantially higher than that of air. So which is it?

13 ) Does your device have more than twice the impedance of air, or less than half the impedance of air?

14 ) You claim that if is poor at reflecting by itself and "only becomes a great reflector when combined with walls", yet you also claim that "unlike walls it can reflect the low frequency sound". So which is it? Can it reflect low frequency sound by itself, or can it not do that unless a wall is present? And can it affect waves that are larger than itself, or can it not do that (with or without a wall)?

15 ) In any event, you claim that your device can suck sound from a distance of 1/4 wave away, so let's consider that 37.5 Hz issue I'm working on right now: You are saying that you could place your device anywhere in the room, and it would fully absorb this problem from a distance of 7 feet or less?

16 ) So I could put the device on the ceiling, 7 feet away from the back wall, and it would effectively reduce the intensity of that frequency by as much 26 dB BETTER than the device I already designed for that?

17 ) So your claim is that the specific acoustic impedance of your device is around 90 MKS rays? And that the speed of sound waves passing through it will be around 1,500 M/S? And that's why it will be twenty times more effective than any other bass trap?

As I said: outrageous claims require outrageous proof. So far, you have offered none.

Proposed challenges, awaiting response:
Maybe you actually do have a device that works as you claim, so let's see the proof. Build a working prototype bass trap that works as you claim, is about the size of a shoe-box as you claim it can be, and outperforms a normal Superchunk bass trap or acoustic hanger trap as you claim it does, and can be placed up to 7 feet away from where such a trap would typically be located as you also claim. Once you have done that, (and not before!) please feel free to post again on this thread. And provide photos of the device, in operation. But do make sure that you also include the complete report from the reputable independent acoustic test facility where you have it tested, and showing that it does, indeed, perform the way you claim it performs.

When you post that, I'll happily eat my words.

In fact, let's simplify the challenge, so you have a better chance of being able to comply: Instead of shoe-box size, it can be as large as typical airline carry-on bag, with a volume of about one tenth that of a typical superchunk, and it doesn't need to work at a distance of 7 feet from the typical location: lets make that 5 feet. But we do still need the lab rest reports, showing that it exceeds the performance of a full-size superchunk trap by 26 dB when tested according to ASTM procedures. In fact, lets make it just 10 dB! Not 26 db. As long as your "invention" exceeds the performance of a superchunk by 10 dB across the entire low end of the audio spectrum (from 20 Hz to 200 Hz), that's enough.

... waiting ... 24 hours will be up shortly ...

Oh, and I nearly forgot:

READ THE forum rules for posting (click here). You are still missing something!

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:10 am 

I repeat,

I am trying to delete all my posts.

Why is your system not letting me delete my posts??

??

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:35 am 

What ever you do,

just make sure you don't open yourself up to a multi-million dollar lawsuit.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:26 pm 

Hilarious. I don't even understand what you guys are talking about, but I sure know a scammer when I see one. Soundman2020 is so right when he says these are standard responses for someone trying to pull a fast one... that much is abundantly clear. I'm now genuinely expecting Michaell to say he's a Nigerian Prince with $50m in offshore accounts that he needs our help accessing... for a share of the profits of course. :D

You ain't fooling no one mate. :lol:

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:40 pm 

Quote:
What ever you do,...

READ THE forum rules for posting (click here). You are still missing something!

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:40 pm 

atomicus wrote:
Hilarious. I don't even understand what you guys are talking about, but I sure know a scammer when I see one. Soundman2020 is so right when he says these are standard responses for someone trying to pull a fast one... that much is abundantly clear. I'm now genuinely expecting Michaell to say he's a Nigerian Prince with $50m in offshore accounts that he needs our help accessing... for a share of the profits of course. :D

You ain't fooling no one mate. :lol:
:thu:

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:55 pm 

Quote:
just make sure you don't open yourself up to a multi-million dollar lawsuit.
So there's a lawsuit pending now? Well then you DEFINITELY cannot delete your posts! That would be tampering with evidence, or destroying evidence, which is a felony in your country as far as I know (unless your name is Hillary Clinton, apparently). So it cannot happen. That would be illegal. But don't worry: I'll make extra sure that the backup procedure is followed very carefully, and all the evidence is preserved in pristine condition, right out in public display, where everyone can see your claims exactly as you made them, for as long as the Internet lasts. It's the least I can do, and my attorneys inform me that it is a legal requirement.

From now on, your posts can no longer be deleted, ever.

Thread locked, for legal reasons.

Report this post

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2