John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 4:25 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:16 am 

hello there VERY helpful friends. I'm confused about something. I've read the FAQ's etc. i own Rod's book and I've built numerous studio projects but one thing is substantially confusing me...

I'm building a small detached space in Los Angeles. I need a room to mix, edit, compose, sing loudly, track instruments that aren't drums. My question is about leafs when it comes to doors with built in glass. So I'm using a standard room-within-a-room double leaf construction. I'm planning to use a solid core exterior door of some sort outside on the outer leaf (more about that later) that can be locked for security etc and on the inner leaf i bought an incredibly heavy, nearly 4" thick solid wood door with glass that was removed from a recording studio. This inner door has two separate pieces of glass in it - separated by an air space. My plan is to often leave the outside door open when I'm not doing stuff that is too sound sensitive (so i can enjoy the southern california sunshine and keep an eye on my dog on the patio) but then for more sound sensitive work i can close the outer door. (yes i am aware that when the outer door is open it essentially eliminates all of the outer leaf... but i work in headphones alot so that won't always be a big deal). HERE'S MY MAIN QUESTION: am i doing more bad than good with the door that already has 2 separate sheets of glass in it because it adds a 3rd leaf to my structure?

2 - EXTERIOR DOOR RECOMMENDATIONS: i've built 4 studios in the past but they were always inside existing structures so I've never had to purchase an exterior door. I'd love some recommendations on exterior doors that don't cost a fortune but will work well. THANK YOU!!

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:29 am 
Site Admin

To be certain, you'd have to do the math. Figure out the surface density of each door, and of each pane of glass, and figure out the air gaps, then just plug them into the three-leaf equations, and see what you get!

- Stuart -

Report this post