John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:28 am 

Just a quick point vutall after Stuart's very detailed reply. If you get a great control room together, but then find your family are disturbed by the noise and decide to build an outbuilding, if you build it the exact same finished dimensions you can move all of the treatment in there once it's built, without many worries about redesigning it.

Dan

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:43 am 

A hair brained idea I just came up with since my wife and I were discussing out plans for the land...

We are going to get a Yurt/Ger someday in the future. I know circles are the worse possible acoustics, but what if the walls are just cloth and wooden frames? Very little chance for reflection there. Couldn't probably record anything at all in it, but may be ok to mix in....

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:44 am 

Quote:
We are going to get a Yurt/Ger someday in the future. I know circles are the worse possible acoustics, but what if the walls are just cloth and wooden frames? Very little chance for reflection there. Couldn't probably record anything at all in it, but may be ok to mix in....

I believe it would be horrible for mixing as well. Concave shapes wreak havoc on good acoustics.

Greg

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:03 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I have a feeling your neighbors would not thank you for your caring and consideration, as you belt out 80, 90, 100 dBC from inside what is basically a tent, just a few feet from them... :)

You might find heating, cooling, and humidity control to be a little complicated, too. Mid winter, for example, might be a tad on the coolish side...

And of course, there would be no decay time at all, no diffuse field, on ITDG, no termination... It would not exactly meet the specs for a critical listening room.

There's probably a reason why there don't seem to be many recording studios built inside yurt's.... :)

- Stuart -

Report this post