John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:51 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:03 pm 

Update on the paint-job. The Yellow Sub-Marine.

Had some help from 5 dudes with the second coat of paint. While the ceiling and 3 walls are white, one wall got a bright yellow coat. And it rocks :)

The picture doesn't really do justice, but you get the idea. Yellow it the new rock and roll standard!

Next week we're adding some finishing details and start adding an extra layer of mass to the floor which will hold the finishing floor. Hope to start with building the low-end absorbers (aka bass-traps) this month. Exited.

Ro

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:21 pm 

Hi Ro ...

Yeah, I very much recall when my control room was done UP to the treatment point.

We could barely speak above a whisper it was so loud in this new echo chamber. :shock:

It was one of those ... 'Oh my ... what did I just build' :cen:

As each piece of acoustic treatment went up, the changes were dramatic ... but they ALSO exposed the areas that had not yet been treated.

Once the ceiling clouds were installed, the room went to a whole new level ... amazing.

Then came time to install the ductless AC/Heat system, and I needed to pull the top section of my rear corner trap ... I just could NOT believe how horrible that one corner then became. It was like the sound of a basketball bouncing on a metal floor. Ping city !

I know the acoustic treatment does nothing for isolation ... but the noise floor of the room after treatment dropped dramatically.

Just one of a series of emotional/ sonic trips that was experienced during the build. I only wished that I had done a convolution capture when I had the echo chamber ... would have been interesting to have and possibly use ... however, I will not be talking down the treatment anytime soon to do that :P

Anyway ... congrats on the progress! Hope the results exceed !

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:30 pm 

thanx RJH, amazing story :)
Last year I've done a small acoustic dress-up on a practice room of a friend band. The drums were taking over the room without treatment. So they called in for my help. I installed a as much corner-absorbers as possible, a few broadband panels on the walls and another dozen on the ceiling. The guys were amazed! So was I. Finally they could hear each other and not just the drummer :) Suddenly the room had focus and no more low-end booooooom. Simple treatment, super result.

Every-time you put up some treatment the sound changes, to the better. Just as you described. wow.

cheerio!

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:21 am 

At the dawn of 2013, here's a what I've been working on last month.
- Finished and painted the doors, doorframes, windowframes. All white.
- Added extra floor to the existing floor for stability, levelness and some extra mass.

Pix, as usual.
Happy new year folks!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:03 pm 

Hey Ro,

Is it going to be a one or a two seal door?
Are you going to use magnetic strips as well?

great progress keep it up :)

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:53 am 

Hai Vakis,

It's a one-seal door, for now. I have magnetic strips already, but I wanna measure the "leakage" first. If it's already within limits I won't go the extra mile. There are automatic door closers already that will push the door against the rubberprofile. That wall, including the doors, isn't my main concern. Adding another trim to hold the second seal will only take up precious space. The doors are about 90cm wide now. When dealing with drumkits or large speakercabinets, every cm counts :)

cheers bro!

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:07 am 

Good to see you are still at it Ro, if anyone gets a "hell yeah" for stick-to-itiveness, it is you. You are the man!

We all learn every time you post :)

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:47 pm 

thanx Brien :mrgreen:

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:28 pm 

Happy to report we started on the first low-end absorber. It's located in the upper corner at the back of the room. Pix? not yet! :)

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:57 am 

I want to share, atleast, my design for the low-end absorber in the upper back corner of the live room. The one we're currently building. Here's the detail.

simple ply frame construction with white cloth and a small barrier (low-pass filter) made of plastic sheet. Inside it's packed with glass-wool. Finishing pieces of ply on the front. Simple, effective and cool :)

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:27 am 
Site Admin

Looks cool, theory sounds good, but ... one thing missing.... PIX! Until then ".. it didn't happen.."! :) I, for one, am looking forward to seeing it.

Are you going to run REW before and after you install it? Would be neat to see what effect it has...

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:37 pm 

Right, Stu, pay attention. Here's how we build it. in fact, it's exactly like the design I posted earlier. Dead simple and way cool.

It's a ply frame, attached directly to the walls. A few pieces of ply 45 degr for attaching the cloth (to stretch it nice with perfect fit). Extra two steal-wires to keep wool in place.
Glass-wool cut to triangles and placed inside the frame
Add plastic-barrier as a low-end filter, then white cloth to finish. All stapled.
Added ply trims for finish. Added recessed light.

Took me a few hours to build and two hours to design the concept.

enjoy the "proof" :)

@stu: no, didn't run any tests. The main goal is isolation. These are "just" band practise rooms. But that's not gonna stop me from doing some acoustic dress-up :). Perhaps I will do before-and-after testing with the control-room. But that's a few years from here... I'm afraid. ah, well.
ro.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:06 am 
Site Admin

Pix!!! :shock: :!: :!: :!: Cool! 8) So it really DID happen then!

:)

Looks very neat, by the way. Simple, and pretty darn effective, I would guess.

I love seeing progress! And there can't be too much to do now? The end is in sight?

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:10 am 

Looking good Ro !

What dimension size did you choose for the wedges ??

Also interested in what acoustical change noticed ?

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:32 pm 

thanx guys, I'm pretty exited too. And yes, Stu, the end is nigh. Have to build 2 speakermounts which are also low-end absorbers, positioned in the corners underneath the previous build low-end absorber. Will start with those next friday, I figure they take about a days work. But I only work, at best, 2 evenings for 2 hours per week. 4 hours per week aint much eh. Hence the slow progress. Next I have to build two more corner absorbers that will wrap around the in- and out airvents.
And, some finishing trims, flooring, electrical stuff, more paintwork, 6 broad-band absorbers and other stuff...
prox 6 months works I reck'n. Oh well, been busy with *this* floor/room about 2 years already.

@RJ: the wedges are 60cmx60cmx85cm triangles. Cut from 60x120 boards. 75mm thick.

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next