John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:50 pm 

you're welcome to drop by any day, Stu. Now, if you'll excuse me...gotta find me some acoustic fresh-air. I heard it rocks.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:17 pm 

Suck it
Yeah, wall socket time! Pictures will tell the story....

cheers!

ro

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:25 am 

Light'm up!
ooooooohhhwwwyaaaa, boys 'n girlies... Finally mounted lightning and connected power.
it is all coming together.

see pix, see comments.

cheers!
ro

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:50 am 

:thu:

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:19 pm 

Acoustic broadband panels

YUP! It's time to actually make some cool stuff.. not that all the other stuff ain't cool, but this is a recording-studio forum, right! To let's get cracking.

Yesterday we made a prototype for broadband panels. There will be six of those on the walls. Smaller versions end up at the ceiling.

Dimensions: 200x60x10(cm). 10cm/4" thick rock-wool inside, covered with white fabric. We used a French-cleat system to mount them on the walls.

Here's the actual proof :)

ro.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:28 am 

Very nice! Looking good. And now I understand the purpose of the wood rail along the middle of the wall! Smart thinking.

- Stuart -

PS: I'd suggest running REW before you start hanging treatment, then again after you are done!

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:59 pm 

Soundman2020 wrote:
PS: I'd suggest running REW before you start hanging treatment, then again after you are done!

Yup, I hear ye. I had planned a pre/post scan-session but since it just isn't my priority to get acoustics in this room top-notch I will skip it. This is a rehearsal place, scanning the room would only be appropriate if it's full of band-equipment and perhaps people.

But, it might be "nice" to show the effects. I already build low-end absorbers so..hmm.... neh, gonna skip it. I need this to be released in october this year o_0

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:53 pm 

Little update, just got back from holiday and made more panels. There's a total of six panels on the walls, and another dozen will be mounted on the ceiling.

There are 3 panels on the east wall and 3 on the west wall. Chess-board placement; no panel faces another one. The north and south walls are filled with load-end panels already which will act as mid-range too. No need for extra panels. Perhaps an acoustic reading will clear up details. Dunno if I'm gonna, after this room isn't high-profile.

Here's a couple'o pix from the wall-panels.

And, I have scheduled an appointment with an acoustic engineer to test the isolation of the room. See if I stay within code-limits 0_o

Enjoy the weather. Ro.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:50 pm 

Little update,

- Made broadband-panel frames to go on the ceiling, "clouds" if you will. Will add them later, cuz..
- Started with the finishing floor. It's laminate glued to the existing floor. Solid as a rock.
- Meanwhile I ordered some rack stuff and made a mixertrolly with storage for mics, cables and other.

Gotta go, got flooring to finish :)
Hope to re-open this space on sat oct the 12th.. still got loads of stuff to do.

Ro.

(sorry, pix are in reversed order. I'm lazy, so not gonna change order)

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:47 pm 

FINISHED
Yes, you read it right. The first room is practically finished. Two more to go...
The whole structure is in place, walls, ceiling, floor. Electrical stuff and acoustics are fixed. Only thing to do now is, ROCK!

Here's a list of pix to keep you occupied. We've finished the floor and added clouds.

And, most important, WE PASSED THE TEST! :)
Yesterday a certified acoustics company did some testing around and inside the building. The walls that separate rooms (internal) are performing great, even in low frequency ranges. weeehooooo. :) On the outside of the building it's oh so quiet.

Love it when a plan comes together.

Saturday oct 12th the room will officially be opened. Bands that currently play on the second floor will move to this new room.

cheers mate, I'll keep in touch.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:28 am 

Congratulations, Ro! :yahoo: :thu:

Looks good, sounds good, passed inspection, your happy.... What could be better? !!!

Now put down the hammer and go celebrate someplace!

:)

Can I add this thread to the "Finished Projects" list, or do you want to put the other two rooms on the same thread?

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:14 pm 

Hai Stu,

We're popping the bottle in two weeks :)
This was just phase 1 of 3, so two more to go. It's not finished yet indeed. aaaah, more work!

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:08 pm 

'elo folks!

Four weeks ago we opened the new built room. Bands have been using this new space since then and are a happy crowd. A VERY HAPPY crowd :) They've gone from some dirty rotten, non-acoustic, poor-isolated, smelly, little dump room to a highly isolated, optimized acoustical, fresh rehearsal room. And they love the "sound" of the room. Really. Job done I'd say.
Two pics attached, nothing fancy. Have to do a proper photo-shoot later...

I, myself, am super exited about the wall that separates liveroom with controlroom. That one I was worried about. I was wrong, this changes everything. The wall is highly isolating sound. Even in the low-end. WOOT!? yes, it does. Yes, job done indeed.

two more rooms to go.... already started breaking down the old, bad live room. That stinky one. It's located on the second floor. I attached a picture to give you an impression of the state it's currently in (we already tared down a wall and stored our tools there)

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:18 pm 

Good work Ro ! the place's looking great man, very tidy (not common on rehearsal rooms!) :thu:

Good luck with the other rooms construction

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:42 am 

:yahoo: :thu:

So go make more music already!

:jammin: :inn: :shot:

- Stuart -

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next