John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:02 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Studio Design
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:19 pm 

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and I hope I am posting in the right thread.

I have a chance to get an apartment (74m2)where I would also build my little music studio. Based on the pictures you can see that it is a penthouse.
Attachment:
WhatsApp Image 2018-06-30 at 12.10.12h.jpg

My question is, if the living room would be suitable for my music studio. The monitors and studiodesk would be in front of the terrace. Would I have to do a lot acoustically? If so, I would not rent the room. The studiodesk should not be too close to the terrace.

I would get the apartment empty. The furniture, sofa etc... in the pictures are all removed from the previous owner.

That's how it looks in the back. There is a kitchen on one side.

Attachment:
WhatsApp Image 2018-06-30 at 12k.10.12.jpeg

Attachment:
WhatsApp Image 2018-06-30 at 12.10.1l2.jpeg

Attachment:
WhatsApp Image 2018-06-30 at 12.10j.12.jpg

Thank you very much for help!

Cheers,
Mike

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Studio Design
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:22 am 
Site Admin

Hi "audiokontrol". Please read the forum rules for posting (click here). You seem to be missing a couple of things! :)

Quote:
My question is, if the living room would be suitable for my music studio. The monitors and studiodesk would be in front of the terrace. Would I have to do a lot acoustically?
That depends on what you want to accomplish! If you need to isolate the studio well (sometimes incorrectly called "soundproofing"), then that's a big issue, and would need a large investment. If you don't need to isolate it, and only need to treat it, then that's easier to do but once again it depends on how good you want it to be. If you want it to be a professional level studio where you can mix and master with high precision for commercial purposes, that's not going to be easy, and might not even be possible in such a room. But if you just want to use this as a "hobby" studio to play around in for your own entertainment, then it's a lot easier, and would only require some basic treatment.

Quote:
The studiodesk should not be too close to the terrace.
The desk you show is no use as a series control room desk. You should NEVER ever put speakers on the desk itself, for many reasons. So forget that desk, and get one that is more appropriate for a recording studio control room.

You say that the desk cannot be too close to the terrace, and that's fine, but the speakers will have to be very close to it. In fact, the speakers will have to be right up against that front wall. That's the only option in a small room like that, if you want decent sound in the room.

Quote:
That's how it looks in the back. There is a kitchen on one side.
That's a big problem. The rear wall of a studio normally needs a large amount of treatment, mostly bass trapping, and you have no place to do that, because the kitchen is in the way. It still might be possible to do something there, but it's going to be very hard to get good "tight" bass response in that room.

- Stuart -

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Studio Design
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:55 pm 

Hi Stuart,

many many thanks for the reply!
I thought more of a "hobby" studio. But the sound should have been precise.
I didn't take the apartment. I would have had to invest a lot in the acoustics. I'll look for another apartment with "normal" 4 walls.

Thank you!

Report this post