John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:51 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:40 pm 

Hi, I am building a rather large studio under my house. All the walls and ceiling will be built using Hebel on a concrete slab (each room will have a separate slab and walls), however I'm wondering what I should put on the concrete slabs? I want to have a live room as I am a percussionist so I am thinking a timber floor, but is this neccesary since I have a concrete slab already? I'm not sure about whether the acoustic will vary greatly. I was just thinking of laying the timber straight on the floor with a sheet of rubber in between.

I will be carpeting the other rooms (small studio, mixing room, and office. I will probably use carpet tiles for durabilty.) But if this idea of timber and rubber on concrete is ok I may do this for the whole lot.

Any advice would be great.

Best, Philip

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:33 pm 

Hi, and welcome; if your slabs are smooth enough, another option is to stain the concrete; acoustically, you won't see a noticeable diff between concrete and wood flooring.

Try a google search on stained concrete, see what turns up; if you still like the wood idea, I have a few links I can post... Steve

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:35 pm 

I plan to do what is often called an "etched stain" concrete floor in my room -- chepaer than laminate and lots cheaper than real wood, and it will look kind of like marble when done. It's also extremely durable!

--Keith :mrgreen:

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:54 pm 

Dear Steve,

Thanks for that! I was hoping concrete would be the same acoustically. I will google and aim for a very smooth finish.

Cheers

Philip

Report this post