John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:54 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: progress
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:36 am 

hey all,

well, it's getting there, slowly right now. heres the scoop.

most electric has been roughed in. everything is moved that needed to move, so i've started the rest of the ceiling and soffit. talked w/ the home-builder to see if it's feasible to do the false rock on the column and back wall, seems like it's definately possible - should look WAY cool when it's done. (albeit, probably not the best idea to have in a tracking room, but i've requested that there be large amounts of depth and angle variation so that it can act as a diffuser. and I can always surface treat the room.

and i just got a bunch of rough cut cherry for stuff, should be a good little score for 30$!

heres some pix.

first shows the "screen" wall. used as a screen for the home theater, there are HT boxes for the center and right chanel visible, alone with the 3gang light switch box

second: shows how I tapped the upstairs supply to feed the TR
third: shows how I moved the vent from the side of the supply trunk line to the top (that was a pain to cut)
fourth: shows the crtr wall quad box outlets. hey nice saw! (sorry it's new! :D )

later!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:50 am 

hey all,

well progress is going slow, i'm split between two projects, so... but here's whats going on.
the ceiling has 98% of the drywall panels up, the duct is 50% covered and the wiring is about 80% roughed in.

this weekend I hope to get the ceiling drywall done, the duct covered and finish the wiring. I also will be working on the sofet this weekend and hope to completely build it out.

heres a pix of how I framed the curved wall.

cheers,
sandled

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:42 am 

hey all,

well, making some progress this week, most of the sofet and ceiling framing is done. anyways, heres the proof. (i know some people don't read the text and only look for pix)

heres a pix of the rough cut cherry to be used for the window frames/door

you can also see the duct wrapped, and the sofet covering it, I don't have the end of the sofet done yet, the round cap, but that will come soon.

i've managed to create a little nook above the curved part of the room that might prove to be usefull space. Not sure if it will help but i dont think it will hurt acoustically, maybe even function as some form of trap. (i have no idea what i'm talking about.) in either case, i just didn't want to wall off that much of the ceilling in that part of the room and just stopping the sofet at the support column didn't make sense.

kevin

Report this post

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:28 am 

Hi All,

Hope everyone has had a great pair of holidays! I've been pretty busy, and not much work has been happening on the studio (lame I know). but i have a few photos for you!

The first is the project box in the corner,

the second is the bull nose to the sofet, which hides the HVAC

the third is the reason i've not been working on the studio, i've been working at getting the churchs new system up and running! pictured is our new yamaha m7cl console and racks

Report this post

Post subject: work resumes
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:51 am 

Hi all,

Though I haven't posted in a bit, i've resumed work on the studio. So far, i have everything insulated (thanks steve!) and have begun the drywall. I have also spoken with the builder to confirm the false rock, and his requirements for that. So heres a few pix of the progress, should come together soon! I can't wait to get back to recording and mixing!

first picture shows entering the tracking room from the control room,

second pix is a crude mosaic of the tracking room looking back at the control room door (which will be glass) and window, false rock area (exposed block), sofet that hides the hvac and door to the rest of the basement (which will be a plain solid door).
kevin

Report this post

Post subject: drywall going up
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:02 am 

ok it's getting exciting!

most of the drywall is up. some of the mud coats have been applied and the room is sounding pretty good! i hope to be painting by the end of the week. though i need some electricity for the lights!

first pix is tracking/control room wall,

second pix shows the tracking room back wall, (the drywall still needs to be cut away from the door).

kevin

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:38 am 

no comments thus far, i know your watching! 8)

been mudding/taping/sanding / repeat...
hmmm what else does this process remind me of... ??? tracking, cutting, tracking, mixing, tracking, mixing, rewind, mix, rewind, mix...

took a break from mudding to plane some wood, sand and stain it. 80/120/220 and a single coat of olymics 'red oak' oil stain (6$/qt). tonight i'll apply one of three coats of minwaxs polyacrylic ($34/gl). 2.5 hours planing, 2 hours of sanding and 5minutes of staining for four boards. so heres the results.

these are the first to install, which will be the shelves inlaid in the false rock (which will be mounted on the block wall shown in the other photos. the window frame and door frames will also get this treatment.
second pix is a prime sample :D
the third pix shows the control room wall still exposed, with the ceiling... i'm still trying to figure out how to treat the control room, so that it's symmetrical... and hiding the ductwork

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:44 am 

hey all,

:?: looking for some ideas on how to tackle the double door threshold area. the stud walls are spaced 4.5" apart (for a total of 12" airgap). and if I install the doors as is, the factory thresholds create an un-even space. I was wondering if I should remove them and create a new threshold myself that integrates both doors. please see the pix to see what i'm talking about.

edit: I'm concerned that if I create a new integrated threshold from the cherry stock, that it will be sitting on the concrete (or a foam sill seal?) will this be ok? I used pressure treated elsewhere on the concrete floor.

as for progress... most of the room is drywalled and most of it has been mudded. I've been getting some of the wood finished so that I can mount the shelves and make that area available to the contractor doing the concrete work. it's coming along, tryign to choose a color, it won't be long before we paint! :D

any comments so far? I know i'm doing alot of things that I shouldn't (like couple the ceiling to the floor joists above) but again, this is not my house, so I have to make some compromises for the homeowners sake. when I get my own house, i'll try and do things according to rod's bible (i mean book)! (it might be the 6th edition before that happens too!)

anyways, the rest of the builds look great on the site, this really is a great resource.

kevin

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:56 am 

:? :arrow: Hoping Steve or Rod or ANYONE :roll: to give me some feedback...

:?: I was looking for some help regarding the threshold question still...
ideas?

My latest idea is to use a filler piece that would equal the height of the threshold, but i'm not sure how to keep it in place, and still not sure if it's "safe" to put the piece right on the concrete, or if i need a foam sill moisture guard under it. I was going to cut a slot for the edge of the metal threshold lip to sit in, which would keep it in place, or possibly glue it down.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:59 am 

Since no one is commenting... figured I would, not much to add except...

Genius work in terms of build, construction, and a+ for creativity... good work man... as you said somethings are not traditional studio build like isolating this or that and floating this or that etc. But, it looks great and end result should look great and work pretty well too -- its someone elses quote - but you can treat so much with additional absorbers and treatments etc. etc. vs. making the walls etc. absorb or do this or that...

At least the rooms aren't freaking square to start with etc. and its gonna look sharp... I do wonder about sound transmission from the live room to the CR in these types of spaces where all this elaborate work has been done, but in a traditional studio like this (separate LR and CR) - how or what are you doing to make sure there is no leakage between?

Also, is this a basement or where is this? (I missed that I think)...

Good work -

David

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:34 am 

Hi Dave,

Thanks for commenting and the compliments! This studio is in a basement, which luckily has 9' ceilings, except for the troublesome support beam and worst, the ductwork going under the support beam (i think i have about 7' clearance in that section).

As for isolation, the main concern of isolation was between the TR and CR, not between the floors, which i still attempted to address by adding a layer of 5/8th on between joists, and another 5/8th as the finished ceiling... I was not able to isolate the TR ceiling because of budget and owner concerns... so, you make due what you have.

Isolation results are still up in the air... i have yet to put doors and windows in, so i'm a few weeks away to see how much i've been able to isolate the two spaces. I've used double walls which have an airspace (including insulation) of 12" and double 5/8 drywall on the outer leafs. the windows are two 1/4" laminate sheets, I know I should have a 1/4" and a 1/2", but this is what the local supplier could get for me...so...
the doors are exterior double pane glass doors... again, NOT what the recommendation is. However, i have other flanking issues (namely the ductwork that passes through each room) that may limit the effectiveness of replacing the double glazing with a single thicker glaze... which is still an option if the door proves to be the weak spot afterall.... something i'll have to address when the time comes.
I'm hoping to achieve decent isolation, IE, be able to track some music in the TR with my CR monitors turned up. As long as I can do that, i'll be happy:) (roughly about 40-50db difference, but realistically i'll prob get about 30db)

I attached a pix of my sketchup model, kinda crude, but it worked for me to layout the room and figure a few building concepts...

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:33 am 

I have some pictures of the door/threshold assembly, hopefullly to stir some suggestions out of you :evil:

and heres some more pix for the rest of the silent audience:

here's the pvc conduit... i know it's not the long gracefull bend, but theres not enough room to use them... I plan on making a doggie door on both sides with seals, that will cut down on sound transfer through the tube... and possibly fill it with some insulation or something... i'll deal with it when the time comes...(suggestions?)

heres a mosaic of the block wall, which has some of the shelf supports on it... they're pretty robust, and going to be encased in concrete, so they'll be fairly strong! which they need to be since they will also be used as steps to access the shelf area... can't wait for the builder to do his thing with the concrete... should look awesome.

heres a pix of the ceiling texture i'm using... kinda copied my dads idea... though he does this WAY better :roll: guese i just need to be 20 years older, less hair and i'll have it down :lol: (and i believe there are already comments in the "how not to..." section that describes applying mud on a horizontal surface above your head)

heres another mosaic of the overall rooms progress... not much being done this week since i'm helping out with a local play production :)

cheers,
kevin

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:39 am 

i exceeded the 6 picture per post limit! :shock:

heres the control room side pix of the conduit... (i'd be shocked if this post alone doesn't get me yelled at by SOMEONE on the forum!)

Report this post

Post subject: Please move me:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:43 am 

Hey Moderators!

I was hoping to move this post to the Construction Forum... I am hoping to trigger some responses...

I didn't realize that build diaries should be in the construction forum, not the design forum. (Though the main page of build diaries is in the design forum).

thanks,
kevin

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:54 pm 

well, here's a comment for you:

WOW!

fast and presice build... At first I thogght i saw some flaws in the window/door framing, but then looked a bit closer and noticed the double frame (sistering) and as long as that is up to code.... It would be in Europe.

on the conduit_CRside.jpg, it shows a big white pipe in centre.
Is that for air or cables?
If it's for air you should mount something that makes sure the air doen't travel that "straight" through the pipe. And if it's for cables it sure looks too big. Say a standard 24 channel XLR cable would be about 20mm thick and this looks more like a drainpipe in size. I think you would be better off mounting the cables directly through the gyproc and make it twist and turn a bit inside the wall before exiting into the other room.

best

a

:arrow:

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next