John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:04 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:13 am 

thanks andreasB! seems like you've visited my thread 5500 times! (or at least your the only one to comment!)

it is a pvc pipe, and it is 4"... way overkill, but I wanted to be able to get an entire snake with ends through it, as I will need it to be removeable later. there will be lids on it on either end that will be closer to size of the actual cable thickness to allow it to pass through, and I plan on filling the rest of the tube with ??? something? i'm not sure what yet... maybe try and find some of these electrical putty packs online?

I am going to go back and put in one more support around the door to bridge between the king studs and adjacent studs, just not shown in pictures. i've been trying to get the drywall seems finished so we can paint and get the false rock started! I can't wait to see that! :D

paint base coat should be done this week, hopefully color this weekend, then it gets tough, window and door frames :roll:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:33 am 

ah, well, I managed to pull a 16channel snake with 50meters of cable through my tiny 35mm hole, just 1 xlr at the time and you'll get there.
I understand that you wanted to remove/change the cable. Or maybe expand the number of connections, anyways i'd do it with smaller holes and not a pipe. BUT since you're already put the pipe in, maybe you can fill it with insulation (pink fluffy stuff?) or something.

The other reason I'm talking about the pipe is the possibility of flanking through the pipe since it's a pretty sturdy construction that connects the two leaves.

Regarding studs, I'm not exactly sure what the ling stud is: but you might need another vertical stud connecting the top of the door frame with the top of your wall frame. (perhaps that's a king stud, who knows :P )

a
:arrow:

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:34 am 

it's difficult to picture, but the conduit is actually not physicall attached to either wall, it is resting on the ply wood that you see, and i will use acoustical adhesive to glue around the perimiter of each side where it contacts the plywood. it's probably not the most effiecient method...

I could change the size of the pipe too, what would you recommend?

k

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:46 am 

dunno what shapes and sizes you got "over there" but in europe we have a type of piping usually used for water installments under kitchen sinks and such. They're usually about 45mm and is pretty much enough for pulling through two multi cables. The trick is to pull the xlr's through one-by-one until they're all through and then just decide the length of cable you need on both sides... this is of course only the case if you go for an already soldered and connected cable. I guess the handy guys (aaron f.ex) just pull multi cables straigt through, open them up and start soldering the various connections they need.

so, to sum up, the tube should be about as large as an XLR plus the thickness of the cable and then some extra mm's just to make sure it runs thorugh smoothly.

a

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:50 am 

ok...

I've read a few places that you can do recessed lighting, provide you build a sealed 3ply drywall box for the cans... however, this seems to directly conflict most manufactures warning about using recessed lighting in tightly enclosed areas, as it builds heat and can be a fire hazard... so, how does that work? are there special fixtures that we should buy?

i seemed to avoid this problem for now, I just didn't build the enclosers as I should have, (again not my permanent studio) , however... in my NEXT studio build :twisted: , i'll probably need to know this.

so, i'm getting really close to painting and installing windows and doors... which i'm still hoping that someone can help me out w/ my threshold issue... surely i'm not the only one to have this issue, as there are other designs that incorporate two doors! :evil:

any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
thnx
kevin

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:09 am 

ah, I thought someone answered that door question earlier.

Well, I think you should keep the original thresholds as they separate the two doors from eachother. But if your concern is the fact that the space is "uneven" (can't picture why you're so concerned about that small space, can you even place a foot in there?) you could probably cut off the original thresholds "inner" part and thereby get an even floor.

Generally (as in my case) you have the two doors mounted on top of separate floors already and therefore never encounter that situation your facing.

a

Report this post

Post subject: color - lights
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:37 am 

so... been still at it... though its starting to come together!
took a chance on a dark color, man it really looks great! yahoo!!!

also had someone to come over and help w/ the electrical work... (someone who knows what they're doing... unlike me!)

so heres some teaser pix... no false rock yets or doors or windows... trying to finish up w/ the shelves before the builder can start that area, then i'll be working on the doors and windows.

the nice thing about the minimal/ spot lighting is that it doesn't show some of my drywall screwups.... 8)

cheers!

btw... i'm probably going to cut the manufacturers thresholds off the door, and make my own out of the cherry... i'll post pix when that happens... hopefully soon!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:57 am 

Sandlefoot...
I must say you have got one of the most interesting yet beautiful designs I've seen! You have really done an EXCELLENT design in your work. This is one of my favorite threads to visit (when I'm on here!) I really like your choice of colors...kinda has that "warm" look to it.

I was going to comment on the recessed lighting as I've asked about that question myself...

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... ght=#51904

Looks like you're past that though...
Anyway, I'll be looking forward to your upcoming progress...

Report this post

Post subject: False Rock started!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:50 am 

thanks stan!!!

man.... this window and door stuff is tricky! it'll be a bit before i have anything new to show from me... however, the false rock is being done as I type! should be wrapped up soon, and i think the homeowner has a choice of flooring, and it looks great... so that will be done within a couple weeks too... slow ...but steady progress... hey, i might get done this decade yet!

K

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:20 am 

Sandlefoot,
Looking superb, and yes it is a teaser to all of us wiating to get to that point.
The lighting is stellar. I can only hope my lighting design turns out half as good as yours
Looking forward to soe more pics
Keep up the good work
Tom

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:08 pm 

I've been checking out your build. Looks very nice. I see your location is Morgantown. I'm near Clarksburg, in Quiet Dell. My project is at http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8426.

I lived in Morgantown when I went to WVU. My band used to play the Lair, Underground, & Gibbies, etc.

Good luck with your project!

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:20 am 

britune
ahh yes... the long nights in back alley behind gibbies to catch a smoke...
the group i played with is not playing anymore... but it was fun overall... maybe minus a few nights and drunks!

i'm interested in seeing on what you decide, i don't feel that well qualified to give you suggestions, since you seem to know whats going on thus far... but i'll be watching your post

Update:

So work on the studio has been ever so slow recently, ive been busy with another project and doing little things (like putting in outlets)...

I have got the first door and window in, and if you saw my other post, know that it was not the best way of doing it... however, i know i keep using this as my excuse, but since this is not my permanant studio, i'm going to wait to see if my method will get me by... If it does not and I find the seal to be unsatisfactory, then I'll take it out and pay to have it installed professionally, and either way I've lost nothing...

This weekend I hope to finish the "outer" wall of the tracking room, which is the front of the control room wall, which i haven't done anything with yet.

Work on the false rock continues, and is looking amazing, can't wait to see it finished... the floor will be a day or two after that, so perhaps in about two weeks i'll have some really cool pictures to post.

cheers!
kevin

Report this post

Post subject: update:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:59 am 

hey all,

long time no post! well, unfortunately not much has been happening, however, the rock wall is about done. so I put up some photos that show what i've been talking about...

no floor yet, i did some electrical work to get the lights working for the rock wall to see how it looks, but thats about it...

i'm leaving for brazil for a month this week, so theres not going to be alot of work done for a while...

the first photo shows how the builder put in a mesh foundation for the concrete... the shelves in the wall double as steps to access the little nook area... i think for recording , i might cut a piece of 703 that fits tightly in that area and make it a trap of some form... we'll see... it's all an experiment

the photo of the column was edited to show more detail of the rock... so it is normally a darker color... but you get the idea...

kevin

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:49 am 

WOW! Way cool! are you a set designer or what?

a

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:15 am 

Kevin,
Very cool. Nice touch. Thats what I was talking about. Your finish work and ideas are ery cool
Definately gives it the Batcave look
Tom

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next