John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:59 am 

Jumpin' Jehoshaphats, that is one cool-ass wall!!! 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:02 am 

Okay. I give up. Your the coolest ever. You rock. So on and so forth...

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:54 pm 

lol.... i'm not sure about that, I'm hoping that once the rooms treated it will sound as good as it looks.

here's some update pix as promised... working on finishing up the thresholds between the doors and start the control room window.

rod (or anyone with knowledge therewithin :) :

the contractor who installed the rock left me a 1/4" gap next to the laminate floor, however, due to floor irregularities, pad thickness and just some tight areas, I really needed about 3/8". So I had to cut the floor a little short to leave the recommended expansion area, but there are still areas that touch the rock. two questions.

if that area is too tight, what are some problems that might occur, and i fear that you would probably recommend cutting the floor correctly next time (or undo the floor and cut it again ??) I tried to leave additional expansion area on the opposite side of the room from the rock part in order to compensate.

, and is there anything i can do to fill in those gaps where they are shown. along the rock ( the walls will have a baseboard of course). for instance, fill with some of the acoustical caulking, then try and stain it. (it's white now, so it would probably stain nicely to match either the floor or rock... and either is fine as long as it doesn't stand out and make it even more obvious). worste case is I leave it, they aren't horribly noticeable even standing up, but i don't like the unfinished "look" of it...

also: please visit my studio design post to give me suggestions on how to finish the control room side!

thanks guys
kevin

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:44 am 

Wow Kevin,
You have been working. :wink: Looking great my friend.
Anything flexible along the rock will work. Test it with stain before you install. Most caulks are hard to paint/stain.But it must be flexible for expansion and contraction.
T

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:29 am 

That wall look great, Was it expensive to do?

Look forward to the next update

cheers

Alan

Report this post

Post subject: talking price:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:17 am 

yeah,

i'd say it was pretty expensive, luckily, i haven't paid for materials! i provide the labor, the homeowner provides for material.. if i remember correctly, the rock is about 11-14$/sqft. (i think the floor was close to $4/sq ft w/ underlayment, on sale, it's a Berry, Lounge series) but since the contractor who built the house originally is also a friend, (who also did the false rock upstairs) he helped us do this within our schedule, and budget and did a nice job. (the rock is the only thing i've not done myself.)

the paint we've used has been sherwin williams: we've gone through about 5 gallons of primer, 1 coat on everything, and 4gallons of color for the walls and two coats each color. we also have 1 gallon for the trim. I think the paint was $30-40/gl because of the deep color. i haven't totalled everything up, but i think everything so far has been about $8k... i might try and detail a post later about specific costs since I know it's good for people planning a studio to see actuall costs.

thanks for the compliments guys... i'm really trying to get it ready for a september open house. so keep checking back, i hope to make good progress in the next couple weeks.

but i've got a lot of details to attend to, not to mention the entire control room... but that should go much quicker since i'm not actually building anything but the acoustical treatments.

k

Last edited by sandledfoot on Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:16 am 

Hey K, man, that's simply BEAUTIFUL...that rock...Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice touch!
Congrats on some mighty fine work!

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:17 am 

hey all,

well, though not much progress as I would have hoped, but i have been working on the studio and only played halo 3 for 2hours last night! the 360 has otherwise been in it's box! (Honest!)

so this is going to be a whirlwind update - of mostly random things i've been working on. for the last couple months.

The biggies done are the window and doors, and i've started the slot resonators.

the first three pix are of how I finished the door thresholds. The I extended the laminate floor through both doors. I used two different transitions that are sold with the floor,

:first pix shows a transition down to the cement floor (which will not be finished).
:second pix shows how the transitions are only about 1/4" difference from the rest of the floor. there was a good bit of measurement so that the doors would seal properly, which they do. :)
:third pix shows how they look completed. (with saw dust for good measure)

fourth pix shows the lesson for ppl to pay more attention when they cut boxes in their drywall, otherwise, you'll end up like me fixing them all again and again because they don't line up with the boxes or are gapped to big. sloppy work is not good. :evil:

fifth is the cable pass: i did go with a smaller, electrical grade conduit, instead of the 4" drain pipe. and.... noise tests are hillarious... the pipe transfers the audio better than most speakers i've owned... i'm going to come up with a mini door and seal for them, so that they will be quiet. for all you ppl who don't understand how so much sound travels through them, go to your local playground, where they have installed these tubes across the playground for kids to talk to each other... now shorten that to a few feet, and you have a great conduit for sound waves... hmmm.....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:19 am 

so you also can see from the last pix that I've put in baseboards...
and the final moldings on the doors and finished the window.

so, heres a brief of how i did the gap treatment...

got 2" 703. some black fabric
cut the 703 (with a putty knife)...
cut the fabric to overlap the back
sprayed on a bit of 3M super77
folded said fabric,
and wiggled them into place.

I put in a few coat hanger wires to make the joint between the peices the window is longer than the 48" insulation. (this was probably not necessar, but made wrapping and moving the longer peices around a little easier.)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:40 am 

so i've also been starting to address the control room:
i'm only finishnig part of the back wall, as most of it will be done with soft/absorbant panels... but i have a few sheets fo drywall left, so i'll hang them while i'm at it.

I also ordered adn recieved my fabric... $450 later :shock: I have 4 rolls of fabric from here: www.fabricsonline.biz

Quantity Name Item number Unit price Total price
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
20 EGGPLANT A10 USD 5.50 USD 110.00
28 Black 50" wide burlap C3 USD 4.50 USD 126.00
20 FERN A12 USD 5.50 USD 110.00
20 OLIVE A25 USD 5.50 USD 110.00

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amount: USD 456.00
Total amount: USD 456.00

this should cover all fo my panels, and the black will be used for either the slot resonators or the ceiling... and yes, everything will be fire treated!

I cut 8 sheets of plywood for about 5 hours this weekend to make slats, and if you look at the insulation, you can see thats about 4" of sawdust! i have also been sanding for about 7hours... once with 120 and again at 220 in prep for staining tonight! i've switched stain colors, to golden pecan. the red oak stain was too dark, and didn't alow the wood grain of the oak and birch to come through.

so thats about it for now... hopefully i'll have more in the next week or two of some actual studio use!!!~!
kevin

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:00 pm 

realized i didn't have a pix of the doors.... so here are the doors in construction state...

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:51 am 

ok,

i didn't just quit working on the studio ya know... i just got an xbox360... so i was.... uh... distracted.

heres what i've been working on.

control room rear wall (and steps)... insulation, drywalled... painted...
trim work is done... after breaking several base molding... we gave up on wood and bought some flex molding... expensive stuff @ $8/ft... but installed like a dream :)

I also put in the lights for the control room... they look cool, and i only blew up one dimmer! (figures it was the last of four... see what happens when you get careless!)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:01 am 

part of the trim was finishing the projector door... it looks great, however, its not as functional as i would hope for... you have to move the projector back into the cavity to close the door... hmm... it's a pain... so i'm sure it won't happen often.

and installed the hook rails and started on some of the absorbers...

i also have 6 of 8 slot resonators done, but no pix yet ;) hopefully soon...

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:59 am 

Holy crap, sandledfoot! I missed the rock wall first time around.

This build is looking awesome, can't wait to see the pics of the slot resonators.

Very cool!

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:19 am 

well, time for an update. and i'm posting my artsy shots too!!!

i've been able to hone my skills in making some fabric wrapped panels... the hold up for a while was the "hanging" part... just not sure how i was going to attach something to it to hang securely... so i invented a corkscrew! well... i guese i didn't invent it, but i did make a bunch of them... the process went as the pictures show...

JWL there are some pix of the slot resonators.... fuzzy, cuz its dark in there... and yes, my slot lines are cut crooked... not really intentional... but thats what you get with a circular saw (three blades later).

(and an action shot!!!) (it was kinda the first session in there... but we were really just playin...)
enjoy...
k

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next