John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:48 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 27  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:32 am 

xSpace wrote:
Makes me wonder how someone can hit their head...twice...on speakers all the way at the end of a hall at eyeball level?

You have to understand that I am not that bright!!! ;)

Actually, I was working on putting in the flooring both times, and on my knees looking down, and then stood up and BANG! @$*^%$%$#!!!

Glenn: Thanks, I will start with 2" and see where it leads me.

-----------

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:50 am 

doublehelix wrote:
You have to understand that I am not that bright!!! ;)

Yea you are.:)

...you just didn't treat it like a construction zone. {construction helmet emoticon (]: ) }

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:06 am 

Well, I finally got the floor done, and it was a lot of bending, kneeling and stooping! My back and my knees are killing me, but then again, I am an old man! Image

So far this weekend, we also got a few other miscellaneous items completed as well, and there is still tomorrow where I hope to get some soldering done.

Anyway, here is a few pics of the floor:

I also got the trim up around the mic closet:

Tomorrow, a bit of tidying up, and then out comes the soldering iron... Oh, the joy!!! ;)

-----------

Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:11 am 

From this...

To this...

-----------

Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:20 am 

very cool!

Even cooler than those spammed-pix I've seen around here lately (what's up with that!)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:13 am 

Thats sweet.!!!! Looks awesome dude!

You'll be recording in no time.!!!!

Looking forward to see it with the clouds and corner traps installed.

Best regards! :wink:

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:59 am 

Thanks a_r and Ro!!! I really need the cheerleading right now, I am tired and anxious to be done with it all so I can get to the music.

I spent the day cleaning and soldering as planned. I still have a few more small panels to complete, but the large main panel is done, which is a huge relief. I tested for continuity and polarity as well, and everything checked out perfectly.

This panel has 20 Neutrik combo jacks, as well as 2 instrument jacks, and 2 MIDI jacks. The combo jacks are a pain in the butt to solder!!! Someday, Neutrik needs to make combo jacks that are pre-normalled for both XLR and TRS without having the solder the small jumper wires.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics of the main panel.

-----------

Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:09 pm 

Hey, looking great man!

Did you solder the entire box on the floor? I can't imagine how you would do that.

Aren't you almost done yet?

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:08 pm 

That breakout box is just the right distance from the floor to set a refreshment on. That is, if you have been working long hours on a body breaking job...and you have!

Be good to yourself, you deserve it :)

I did a floor damn near identical in product, color and the room size last year 'bout this time. Fella I did it for helped. One day, 400.00 usd. I will NEVER do one again! Man I was in pain in places that shouldn't even have nerve endings for days!!!!

But if I ever do anything for that one particular fella again, I'll do it for 20% less if he doesn't help!!! ;)

Let's get ready for a new work week!

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:21 pm 

Well done! Keep it up!

A comment about your cloud: the difference between a 2" 3" or 4" ceiling cloud will be the frequency to which it absorbs. Thicker material, lower frequency. Also, space the cloud from the ceiling a few inches (the same as the thickness of the insulation). If it were me, I'd make the ceiling cloud 4" thick, especially if I had enough material already to do it. If not, start with 2" and go from there, you can always throw another 2" up if needed.

Also, make sure the wood panels that face down, that the lights are mounted into, are not at the exact first reflection points if possible. Have the wood take up as little surface area as possible.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:58 pm 

Eran wrote:
Did you solder the entire box on the floor? I can't imagine how you would do that.

Yeah, about killed myself!!! It really, really, really sucked!!! My back (which was already killing me from doing the floor), my knees, my hips... Arrrgggg!!! The pain and the agony!!! ;)

Hehe... it did get pretty frustrating. I would solder one jack, and then get up and stretch for a while. It really was not a fun job, especially with those damned combo jacks. Yuck!

Eran wrote:
Aren't you almost done yet?

Getting there! I have all the acoustic treatment in the live room to do, and a bit more wiring, and then all the floorboards.

Once that is done, I can clean out all the construction materials in the iso room, and do that floor and the floorboards. Then, I am "done"! Maybe 2 more weeks??? ("-ish")

xSpace wrote:
That breakout box is just the right distance from the floor to set a refreshment on. That is, if you have been working long hours on a body breaking job...and you have!

Be good to yourself, you deserve it

I was thinking along those same lines!!! Problem is, at this point, I can't bend that far over to get to the damn thing!!! Ahhh... my aching back!

xSpace wrote:
Man I was in pain in places that shouldn't even have nerve endings for days!!!!

Yeah, me too.... I need a couple of days of rest I am thinking!!! I am actually going out of town tonight through Wednesday night, which should give me the rest I need.

Thanks for the kind words guys... pushing through to the end!

-----------

Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:54 pm 

jwl wrote:
A comment about your cloud: the difference between a 2" 3" or 4" ceiling cloud will be the frequency to which it absorbs.

Thanks! I was mostly concerned about ceiling reflections rather than absorption, but some absorption would obviously be nice as well. This panel is being designed to go in the live room over the drums, so I am concerned about reflections getting back into the OH mics.

The frame itself is going to be made from 1X4 planks, which means in reality they are 3.5" wide. Due to the low ceilings (7.5'), I don't want to go any thicker than that. I will be spacing them off of the ceiling about 3-4". About the thickest that I could make the panels is going to be 3" of fiberglass.

The other option is to make the frame from 1X6 planks (5.5" wide), which would restrict the ceiling height too much. I would rather have less absorption and more height over the drums for this application I think.

jwl wrote:
Also, make sure the wood panels that face down, that the lights are mounted into, are not at the exact first reflection points if possible. Have the wood take up as little surface area as possible.

Once again, this cloud is going to go over the drum area not in the CR so first reflection points are going to be hard to determine. I am trying to think ahead to where the drums are going to be placed, and where I normally place OH mics. Thanks for the heads up however, as it gives me something to think about to make sure I keep it in mind.

Would there be any benefit to recessing the flat wood panels up into the cloud by a small amount (0.5" or so)???

Thanks for your input!!!

-----------

Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:43 am 

For a drum cloud the principles are the same. I'd make it as thick as possible since the drum kit will produce some low frequencies.

Acoustically, I don't think it'd be much difference if the slats are recessed.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:32 pm 

The soldering is finally done! Ya-hoo! Every jack has been tested for continuity and phase, and I am happy to say that we have 100% success!!! :)

Here are a few of the panels:

Next up, I needed to wire up my live room monitors before I could build my corner traps. The reason as you can see, is that I wanted to hide the wiring behind the traps as best as I could.

As you can also see, due to some *more* poor planning on my part, I have wall panels right at that 17" mark where the corner traps need to go. This time however, I was able to come up with a solution that does not involve cutouts in the traps like I had to do in the control room. These first couple of pictures show the line outs leading to the LR speakers. I soldered 90 degree TRS plugs onto the end of the balanced cables (what a pain, I might add!), and then routed some small slots on the back of my corner trap frames to be able to fit the cables between the wall and the frames.

The one AC outlet that you can see in the trap area will be covered and not used.

Next, the wires were run along and up the wall, and out the top of the corner trap frame. Remember, all of this wire will be behind the trap, and you will not see it.

Once outside of the trap, I left space for the trim work, and then routed the cable through some surface-mounted conduit.

On the *other* side of the room, I ran the electrical cables using the same method as I did with the audio cables.

Here is the "finished" product. Remember that both corners will be covered by corner traps, and there will also be crown molding along the top of the wall, so once it is all wrapped up, it should look "passable".

Here is the back of one of the speakers. I am using a temporary power cable until I can get down to the store to buy one of the short ones.

I tested the speakers out, and they sound awesome in the room considering there is no treatment up yet to speak of. It was a boatload of work and money just to get sound into the live room, but in the long run, it will be worth it. Quick-and-dirty playbacks for the band, plus for setup/teardown/chillout music.

I made a bit more progress with the corner traps, but last night was my daughter's birthday, and my son was designated as the "official camera man" and ended up running off my camera! I'll post some more progress in a few days.

Left to do:

-Acoustic treatment (including drum cloud)
-Floorboards and ceiling trim
-Final touch-up work (filling nail holes, HVAC covers, the banister for the stairs, etc.)
-Buy two nice large oriental rugs for the floor

-----------

Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:06 pm 

This is wonderful. Congratulations on a job well done Doublehelix.

/Gash

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 27  Next