John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:36 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:03 am 

xSpace wrote:
Burned and Sticky?

Yep, that is Florida!

Have a good one.

Got sunscreen?

Ha! Funny! We have been having a great time, and yes, I keep myself pretty lubed up with a ton of sunscreen. Actually, we are in the Pensacola area, so are not too far from Alabama, although I am not sure where you are in Alabama. We take I-65 all the way through to get back to Indiana however. I'll wave as I pass!!!

ale-recording wrote:
Wow man... What a fantastic job you're pulling there... Superb.!!!!

Gee, thanks man! :oops:

Hopefully, you can learn from some of my stupid mistakes, and your build will go a bit more smoothly than mine did. I look forward to reading your build thread, best of luck!

-----------

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:15 am 

James - Have you always been this nice or is it something you've perfected with age? :wink: :wink:

You're a top fellow dude and, one day, our paths will cross - that, I promise. :P

Great job again, but what's with the sunscreen crap? :wink:

Muso = Cool = Ego = Tan = Just lay there and get........................Muso'd :lol: :lol:

Much love to you and yours as always my friend, :wink:

Kindest regards,

Lou. 8)
(Don't tell the forum about all the wiring I've still to do! :roll: :roll: )

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:22 am 

Oh yeah - and wave to your right too, as you travel back north ! I'm about 4,000 miles over there! (Opposite direction to sun - big hot burny bright thingy in the sky!)

HA! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re...................ds :wink:

Lou. 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:19 pm 

" We take I-65 all the way through to get back to Indiana however. I'll wave as I pass!!! " /quote

Yea, I-10 to 65 north exchange is a few miles past Dauphin Island Parkway in Mobile. Watch out for those "seasonal road workers". I saw one guy "sprint" across four lanes of morning traffic while holding on to his pants with one hand and what looked like a coffee in the other! Never looked one time either way!!!

Drunks and children right;)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:10 am 

Lou wrote:
James - Have you always been this nice or is it something you've perfected with age? :wink: :wink:

"F" You Mate!

(better? ;) )

Lou wrote:
You're a top fellow dude and, one day, our paths will cross - that, I promise. :P

I hope so my friend! I look forward to it.

Lou wrote:
](Don't tell the forum about all the wiring I've still to do! :roll: :roll: )

Ha!!! Sucker!!! I finally finished all of mine... what a pain!

-----------

Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:23 pm 

24 pages of a [b]"Sheer Experience"[/b] having always had the luxury of working in ready built Pro Studios and now building my own [i]"Private Control Room"[/i] for Sound Design & 5.1 Surround Stems & Mixes these pages and the warmth of the whole community is just fantastic.

I have learnt so very much gleaning the pages of this forum for the past 2 weeks and I thank all of you for your Wisdom, Experience, willingness for DIY and serious challenges. I am just so very Impressed with John's Site and the calibre of people whom as a group & community work in harmony pulling it all together.

Their is hope left in the world, and I am indeed so inspired by all of you, the Studios and build process inclusive of the learnt techniques are amazing. I live in Australia and I'm stoked to have found this site, My thanks to all & Double Helix (Great Work!)javascript:emoticon(':D') ADDA[size=12][/size]

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:09 am 

Here is the rest of the drum cloud build. I can tell you, it has been a lot of work for 3 "ceiling-mounted bass traps"!!! More than I expected, to be honest, and it took the better part of two weekends to complete.

First, the boxes were stuffed with 3 inches of rigid fiberglass:

Next up, 12 eye hooks were driven into the ceiling joists that were spaced 16" on center. I skipped a joist, so these hooks are spaced 32" apart. Standard carabiner clips were added to the eye hooks to attach to the cloud.

Next up, Pierce's friend Brent (whom you might remember from the window installation) helps to drill and install matching eye hooks on a pair of 2X4's that are to be attached to the back of the cloud boxes.

Here, our new puppy, Tosh (after reggae singer Peter Tosh) lends Brent a hand.

Next, the 2X4 braces are attached to the back of the cloud boxes. Based on a recommendation from forum member Gulfo, I used a single brace across all the boxes to ensure that they were all level and square with each other. (Great suggestion by the way, thanks Glenn!) This basically turned the 3 boxes into a single unit.

Here, you can see how I laid out the lights to get a feel for the positioning. These particular lights can be surface-mounted or recessed, I opted to go with the recessed mounting as you will see in a minute.

12 holes drilled into the boxes to house the lights. What a pain these holes are to drill!!!

Here are the light cans installed, ready to be wired from the back.

And, a test to make sure that all 12 lights work! Success!!!

Next up was to hang the beast!!! A bit of a pain, and it took several people to hold the thing in place while I attached all the carabiner hooks to the eye hooks.

I am not a fan of seeing the hooks, so I decided to create a small frame of fabric to act as a skirt to hide the eye screws and carabiner clips. First up the frame:

Covered with fabric:

Before, and after adding the skirt:

I then wired the cloud into the existing light fixture, hiding the wire with some basic conduit.

And finally, finished!!!

Remember the vision here in the design? Turned out pretty close after all!

We also did a bunch of small detail work, like install all the HVAC vent covers, hang the banister on the stairs, etc. I was actually able to make a final to-do list with all of the remaining tasks, which is a good sign!

The main things left to do are to finish the corner traps, build some bass traps for the walls, and do the floorboard trim work. Then the rest are minor detail things.

Getting closer, and closer....

-----------

Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:57 pm 

James, that's just AWESOME!

And yeah, that extra trim (skirt) is worth the trouble!

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:22 pm 

Ro wrote:
James, that's just AWESOME!

And yeah, that extra trim (skirt) is worth the trouble!

Thanks Ro! The skirt was actually not that difficult to make, it was just the idea that set me back for a day or so! I was going crazy trying to think of a way to hide the hooks. In my CR, I used some small corrugated tubing, but that did not look as nice as I had hoped, and the cloud was much bigger and that method would not have worked. Once I came up with the idea for the skirt, the implementation was easy.

-----------

Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:17 pm 

Nice one James - It looks awesome mate! :D

Just a minor thought, (and you'll love this now you've hung the ba$^&£d). Is there any merit in dropping the height of the back of the cloud, as far as possible, without intruding on those wall mounted monitors? Maybe to create another angle which might give you better functionalilty/visual 'digness'? :roll:

Just a thought mate, nothing more. :wink:

Regards as always,

Lou. 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:37 pm 

Lou wrote:
Nice one James - It looks awesome mate! :D

Just a minor thought, (and you'll love this now you've hung the ba$^&£d). Is there any merit in dropping the height of the back of the cloud, as far as possible, without intruding on those wall mounted monitors? Maybe to create another angle which might give you better functionalilty/visual 'digness'?

Thanks for the kind words Lou.

Hmmmm... that is an interesting thought, and would probably not be too difficult to do

Anyone else have any comments on the effectiveness of such a move?

-----------

Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:46 pm 

Dude - I know I'm not anyone else, and it will be interesting to hear what the others think, but it also occured to me that by dropping the back of the cloud by about 8" to 10" or so, you'd also obscure the view of the white trunking on the wall between the two monitors. :idea:

I'm not trying to talk you into this honest.......................but, :wink: :wink:

Either way it looks the bizz! :wink:

Regards,

Lou. 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:41 am 

Lou wrote:
by dropping the back of the cloud by about 8" to 10" or so, you'd also obscure the view of the white trunking on the wall between the two monitors. :idea:

That trunking is going to be stained to better match the wood wall eventually. (It is on the to-do list.) Also, there is a crown molding piece that is going to go along the top of that wall, and the hope is that they trunking will blend in fairly well with the crown molding, especially once it is stained.

Does anyone see any acoustic benefits?

-----------

Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:59 am 

OMG!!! What an awesome job James!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Is that the coolest cloud ever or what ?? 8)

I have 2 questions:

1) All the lights in the cloud go on and off at the same time or you can light them separetly ? Is it a "regular" switch or did you put a dimmer ?

2) This is been on my mind for a while now.... I see that you used rigid fiberglass here so it's fairly easy to keep it in place (without the need of glue or anything)... But how do you keep your insulation (the pink fluffy stuff) on your walls (inside the studs) without taking risk of it "falling down" long after your drywall is in place ? I know you can "jam it in there" really hard but is that going to hold on in place for years ? Did you put anithing to help the insulation stay in place ?

Thanks in advance!!! :wink:

Best regards.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:11 am 

ale_recording wrote:
OMG!!! What an awesome job James!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Is that the coolest cloud ever or what ?? 8)

Thanks!

ale_recording wrote:

1) All the lights in the cloud go on and off at the same time or you can light them separetly ? Is it a "regular" switch or did you put a dimmer ?

I have 6 lights on one circuit, and the other 6 from another circuit. They are on a dimmer, which is cool, but I am waiting to see if there is any interference. If there is, I will remover the dimmer.

ale_recording wrote:
2) This is been on my mind for a while now.... I see that you used rigid fiberglass here so it's fairly easy to keep it in place (without the need of glue or anything)... But how do you keep your insulation (the pink fluffy stuff) on your walls (inside the studs) without taking risk of it "falling down" long after your drywall is in place ? I know you can "jam it in there" really hard but is that going to hold on in place for years ? Did you put anithing to help the insulation stay in place?

The pink fluffy stuff between the wall studs was stapled in place.

Take care!!!

-----------

Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next