John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 27  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:59 am 

A few more pictures, this time of the caulking procedure.

I start out with 2 sizes of "backer rod", 1/4" and 3/8".

Here is a pic of the box of 1/4" backer rod. Now where do I find the end in all of this mess??? :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

-----------

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:00 am 

Here, I am gently applying the backer rod to the wall/floor junction.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

-----------

Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:01 am 

I used OSI SC-175 caulk, and is pretty easy to work with (for caulk, that is!).

-----------

Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:02 am 

And finally, the sealed seam.

-----------

Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:33 pm 

Well, I didn't make as much progress this weekend as I had hoped, although we put in a lot of hours of hard labor! I keep telling myself that I not a pro, and therefore don't expect results like a pro, but it can be frustrating nonetheless.

I pretty much did it all by myself this weekend as my son had "other plans" for much of the time. Funny how they run when there is work to do!!! :)

Anyway, I got everything caulked, and a first layer of tape of mud applied. I still need to go back and add a second, and possibly a third layer of mud to the tape joints, then a quick sand, and I am ready for drywall layer #2. (I can't wait!!!)

Here are a few pics of the progress. I really wish I could have got this layer finished by tonight, but I ran out of time and energy.

One thing I can say... this place is AIR-TIGHT!!!

Here is an early shot of the control room after the beginnings of the first layer of mud and tape.

-----------

Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:35 pm 

Yours truly with a caulking gun and my USA Baseball shirt! Caulking around the edges of all of the outlets and light fixtures.

-----------

Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:36 pm 

A couple of quick shots of the air lock after the first layer of tape and mud.

I am out of town for the next few days, which is frustrating, but I do plan on getting this first layer complete BEFORE the weekend so that we can start on the next layer...

-----------

Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:32 am 

Oh... my aching body! I woke up this morning feeling like I was run over by a Mack truck! I am getting too old for this stuff!!!

Friday night, I went down and finished touching up the mud work and caulking on the first layer of drywall. Stayed up way too late for this old man (it was like past 9:00 PM!!! Hehe... Just kidding! ;) )

Saturday came, and I went out and re-rented the drywall lift, and then took a trip to the building supply for another load of 20 sheets of 5/8" drywall. We have 37 sheets total on the first layer, but I wasted a lot of square footage on poorly planned cuts. I am hoping to get the second layer done with about 35 sheets total, knowing that the live room side of the dividing wall was already covered in a single layer before we started, and was not included in that 37 sheet number for the first layer.

We then took a load of scrap wood, drywall and other construction junk to the dump so that we had some more room to work in the garage, and also got rid of the large wood scrap pile that was collecting on the side of my house. My neighbor was getting sick of seeing it, I'm sure!

By the time we got all of that done, it was past noon, and time for lunch! We didn't actually get started hanging any drywall until almost 2:00, which makes for a short day. We did not get anywhere near as far as I thought we would, but that has been the story of this entire project!!!

The second layer of drywall will go on in the opposite orientation from the first layer. This adds strength to the walls, but also makes sure that none of the seams are on top of each other for isolation purposes. Each new piece of drywall placement has to be carefully thought-out as to the best location to make sure that every seam is staggered.

Also, the second layer of drywall gets the Green Glue treatment to help with the isolation. I heard someone say that it has the consistency of ketchup, and I'd have to say that is a pretty good description! Green ketchup!

We then started making pretty good progress on the 2nd layer, but the process just totally sucks for me! I hate drywall!!! We started with the ceiling in the CR, and the resilient channel (my son calls it "Brazilian channel" as he misunderstood me when I was first describing the process, and now it is a standing joke...!). What a pain! Anyway, we finished that part, and proceeded to complete the entire control room ceiling, and move into the hallway/airlock. Not a lot of progress for the number of hours we put in. Finally, at about 10:00 the battery died in my screwdriver, and we called it a night. :( Bummer.

We will start again this afternoon, with the goal of at least getting the ceiling done so I can return the lift tomorrow morning. My project time line list shows the second layer of drywall is supposed to be completely hung by the end of today. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! Crap! I hate to get behind schedule. As it is, I have a tentative completion date of October 28th, and I really need to meet that date.

So much to do...

Here are a few pics to keep things going. I will post some more later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Introducing Blain (on the left). He is my son Pierce's friend and band mate. He was a great help yesterday, but also a bit of a distraction for Pierce. "Now where are those 2 guys when I need them???"

-----------

Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:33 am 

Pierce gets going on some screws into the "Brazilian channel". ;) This is the first piece of the second layer of drywall! As you can see, we are staggering the seams.

-----------

Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:33 am 

Green Glue... lots of that green ketchup stuff!

-----------

Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:34 am 

Pierce "gets jiggy" with the Green Glue.

-----------

Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:35 am 

Here is a close up of the cold air return vent in the control room and you can see the 2 layers of 5/8" drywall.

Lots more to do today. I'll post some more pics later...

-----------

Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:44 pm 

Nice progress and nice report DH. That GB lifter is a real handy tool, now innit!

ps. did you know you can post 5 pictures at the time in just one message?

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:36 pm 

Ro wrote:
ps. did you know you can post 5 pictures at the time in just one message?

Thanks for the message Ro. Yeah, I did know that I can post multiple pics, but you cannot put comments for each picture that way. For some reason, that feature of the BBS is not functional, and the comments just disappear. I post multiple pics when I can use the same caption for multiple pics. Is the way I am doing it not appropriate? If so, I can try to make all the comments at once, and then just post, but I think it loses effectiveness that way. Let me know!

The other alternative is to just post links to pics that are hosted on my site like Lou is doing, but the forum rules say not to do that.

Anyway, onto the progress...

Well, we finished the second layer of drywall on the ceiling, and that is about as far as we got. I did take some measurements and did some planning for the second layer on the walls, but that was about it.

I need to caulk the ceiling layer before I put up the wall layer, and plan on getting that done tonight before we "dive" back into the drywall on Tuesday. I am in town all week, so that should help the process go a bit more quickly this week compared to last week.

There is really nothing new to see as far as pictures, it is just the same old thing after all... just more drywall! My son did sneak this one picture in when I wasn't paying attention. The flash is making my hair look gray for some reason!!! Image Image

-----------

Napoleon Bonaparte

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:55 pm 

Hey DH
I've been monitoring your progress from the start. Like you, I'm not fond of drywall. Cutting it is ok, but right now I'm pretty much doing all my work "solo", so moving a 4x8 ft piece of drywall from my garage to my basement is really hard to do. I still haven't even had time to begin a thread, but hopefully I'll start one in the next month or two. I'm trying to get all my HVAC work finished before I do the thread though.

Anyway, the pics you're posting are GREAT! There's nothing like detail explaination with pics I say. I'm getting some great tips watching your progress. Keep the info & pics coming. I'm sure if it's helpful to me, it's helpful to others.

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 27  Next