John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:10 am 

So my room is small, about 6x11. I have made 3 24x48x2" panels and one 24x48x6" bass trap. I was going to use the 3 2" panels to hit the first reflection points on the walls to my left and right and on the ceiling (also my floor is carpeted). Behind me in one corner is a bookshelf and on the opposite corner behind me I was going to place the bass trap. But now I have been reading and it looks like it is a better idea to put the bass trap behind the monitors because they are right up in the corner. The problem is that one monitor is in a corner and the other one is next to an opening that you walk through to get to the other part of the room, so its not realllly in a corner, but its first reflections do hit the wall. Should I place the bass trap behind the monitor in the corner and risking making it unbalanced or should I put it behind me in the other corner. I have Yorkville ysmp-ii and they have switches on the back that allow you to compensate for the corner placement. Should I do different settings on the left and the right monitor to account for the fact that they are in somewhat different acoustic situations. Also, directly to the left of the left monitor, I have a small TV between it and the corner, should I not have that there? Thanks for reading.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:58 am 

Symmetry is important, but not so much at bass frequencies, and not so much behind the listening position. Remember that rectangle rooms have 12 corners total, so you should aim to have bass traps in as many of those corners as you can fit into your small space.

--Ethan

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:16 am 

Soo, let's say I only have the one. Where would I benefit from putting it the most, behind the monitor, or behind my listening position?

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:17 am 

Maverick wrote:
Soo, let's say I only have the one. Where would I benefit from putting it the most, behind the monitor, or behind my listening position?

Only one bass trap? That's not enough! But I'd put it in a corner.

--Ethan

Report this post