John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Leaf questions!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:25 am 

Greetings!
My question is the following. First of all i want to mention that the room I’m talking about is not supposed to be a studio (nor recording room nor control room), I just want to isolate the most possible amount this room from the rooms next to it. Mi problem is that I’m not allowed to touch anything of the existing construction which is already a 2 leaf system ( M S M) a typical drywall wall.

Drywall – Fibre Glass – Drywall. And both drywalls are attached by the metal stud.

One of my ideas is to add to the existing wall more layers of drywall, in other words more mass. But I’m not sure how much weight the metal studs can handle.

Another idea would be to create another wall on top of the existing one decoupled about 2 “from each other. This wall would be just the timber frame filled with Insulation (about 5 “thick) and drywall covering it. I know that this would create a 3 leaf system and therefore I would like to know what would happened if I instead of the new drywall panel use a Acoustic transparent cloth. Would it be better to sacrifice se mass the drywall offers but still have a 2 leaf system? Please Help

I would like to mention that all of the room’s walls are like this and that I’m not allowed to remove just one drywall panel of the existing wall.

I hope you understand me English is not my mother language.
THNX!

Adolfo

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Leaf questions!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:43 am 

Adolfo, no es necesario postear la misma pregunta en inglés y también en español! Ó el uno, ó el otro, por favor...

(Translation: It isn't necessary to post the same question in both English and Spanish! One or the other, please....)

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:07 am 

PandPstudios wrote:
One of my ideas is to add to the existing wall more layers of drywall, in other words more mass. But I’m not sure how much weight the metal studs can handle.

Adolfo

Usually this is the way to go, with a wooden structure. But a metal frame is a completely different animal. It isn't that the metal stud cannot take the additional mass, but rather has the metal wall been constructed in such a manner so that the metal wall will not >collapse< with racking or any other kinds of movement, E.G. doors swinging open or overloading with insufficient bracing.

This is a very delicate position you are in and you must have some level of certainty that what it is you do with adding mass, this flimsy metal wall can take it.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:16 pm 

Thnx for the answer!

and sorry Stuart I didn't know it was not "allowed" i thought this way i'll get more different sugestions.
This will not ocure in any future again.

Adolfo

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:26 am 

It's not that its "not allowed", Adolfo. It's just better to keep all your questions in one single thread, or else you tend to lose track of what you asked where, and where the answers are! I learned that early on, when I asked questions in different threads: today I know that I got answers to those questions, but I have to go searching all over to find them! But by all means, if you don't get an answer in the Spanish forum, then feel free to ask in English too! There are only two of us taking care of Spanish, but dozens in English.

- Stuart -

Report this post