John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:30 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:30 pm 

I've made some panels based on the common single panel design seen in some of the stickies. Particularly the [url]The 25 minute, $25 acoustic panel viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10297[/url] but without the need for the wooden frame. This should make them lighter and perhaps cheaper too.

For now I'll just add some photos then edit and add more details over the next wee while. Ta.

Attachment:
panels wide shot 2.jpg

Panels are 600x1200mm(2x4') by 50mm(2") spaced 90mm(4") off the wall.
Attachment:
Wall blocks 2.jpg

These are 90x45(4x2) by about 200 or 300mm(8 or 12") with a 75mm by 12mm section ripped out of them. You will want to rip this section out before cutting the blocks down to their final length. So start with your 4x2 at about 800 to 1200mm(4ft) long and rip with a table saw or skill saw with a guide.
Attachment:
Wall blocks 3.jpg

Pre drill your screw holes to prevent the wood splitting. I have 30mm of the higher density wall board (what we tend to call gyb board here) so i just used some 50mm(2") collated gyb screws. Remember to try and avoid running in to any electrical wire or plumbing in your walls@!
Attachment:
Wall panel back 1.jpg

This is a panel of Roxul 590 with the material wrapped around, stretched tight and glued. I used 3M super 77 glue which I didn't think was that good. I've since used 3M Hi-Strength 90 which is better and I think Ados F2 would probably work too. You can use long staples to hold the material tight while the glue dries.
Attachment:
L brackets.jpg

The success of this design hinges on the density of your panel being sufficient to support four L shaped brackets. Roxul 590 is 80kg/m3 and and I haven't had problems with sagging or tearing. Initially I used the shelving brackets shown in the above picture, which work fine but a cheaper option is ...
Attachment:
L brackets 2.jpg

...These 300mm(12") 12kn straps. They should be easily available and are sometimes also called hold down straps. Bend them 90 degrees so that one end is 100mm long. Cut the other end to a point. ^
Next decide how high on the wall you want the panel to sit and subtract 200mm(8") from this measurement to get the height of your top blocks.
More explanation to follow

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Luke 78 on Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:23 am, edited 10 times in total.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:31 pm 

looking good. I'd love to see more details on how you hang those on the wall. keep it up!

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:04 am 

mark on the back of the panel with a pencil where you are going to insert the bracket.
you want them to line up with the top of the wall blocks.

Then insert them. I try to get them about 3/4 of the way through horizontally before rotating it upwards. You want the end to poke out as perpendicularly as possible. It can be a little tricky to get this right so have a practice go at it somewhere else on your panel first. Another option, which I just thought of now, would be to go right through the panel. You would have to do this before wrapping the material around but it could work.
Attachment:
insert l bracket.jpg

Using one of these long screwdriver bits makes life ten times easier
Attachment:
fixing panels.jpg

Getting the panels to sit nice and level can be hard. You may have to slip a packer between the bracket and the wall block to lift one corner up.

Well that's all I could think of. Hope it's relatively clear 8)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:20 pm 

very nice post :)
I'll link this one in the DIY_panels thread.

Report this post