John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:14 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:20 am 

A few questions...

1. Does clear lacquer or sealer (or color paint for that matter) adversely affect the performance of the slats on the gobo? If so to what degree?
I am following the gobo designs for sjoko, but making them 4'x4'. 2, 3, and 4" slats with spacing varying from 1/8 to 5/8" and a flat/no angle inner wood panel.

2. I am planning on making 2x4' acoustic panels from 2" mineral wool framed by 3/4" plywood. How does putting a wood backing affect the performance or function of the acoustic panels? Does the thickness of the back matter?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not sure what you are refering to.
Can you be more specific?

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:03 pm 

I apologize for my confusion. It is hard for me to properly frame questions regarding subjects of which I am less than knowledgeable.

For question #1, here is the link:
http://johnlsayers.com/Stuff/Draw1.pdf

I am making them (frame, center sheet, slats) out of 3/4" MDF. From what I understand, the slat resonator is a pressure device and therefore would not suffer terribly by the application of paint or lacquer to the face of the slats. However, should I be concerned about a change in the reflectivity, if any?

For question #2, should simple absorbers ever be made with a sealed backing or have its frame sealed to the wall? I understand that an air gap between the back of the insulation and the face of the next boundary lowers the effective range of the absorber, but does that air space need to be sealed or would the absorber work better if it was not sealed? If it is of benefit to have it sealed and the unit is free standing, what thickness does that backing have to be?

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:45 am 

Ok. A while ago I posted this and never bumped it or persisted in finding an answer. The main question I has about the panels remains unresolved as well as unrealized. I did however choose to apply my limited knowledge and possibly misguided creativity to the gobo. I decided to hazard my own ideas and drop some money on it. Here are the plans I made as well as construction photos. My drawing isn't very clear but the layers from left to right are slats, cloth, insulation, air, panel, insulation, cloth. The dimensions should be clear.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:57 am 

Here's another earlier one. I lost the pictures of the last layer of insulation and the one of the final cloth layer. I ended up making three of these out of four sheets of wood. Thats six caster flanges. The caster flanges were knocked out to incredible tolerances by a local genius inventor/fabricator for a 12 pack of beer. The casters themselves were much more. In the end the 48"x48"x8" gobos weighed about 150 lbs each. I'll get some pictures up soon of the cloth side and possibly some of the gobos in use.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

thanks for sharing - they look great. :)

Report this post