John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:23 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:36 am 

So, I'm about a year away from finishing the bones and soundproofing :yahoo: - at least all of the soundproofing that I care to do. I lack the layer of gypsum over the layer of osb, a few soundproofing details and the "make pretty" texturing, painting, etc.

I'm not seeing any studio build threads in the acoustics part of this forum. I've learned so much and received so much help in the "studio construction" forum, but most build threads seem to stop once it gets to the part about acoustics. But then, maybe I'm missing something.

I'm to where I need to start doing more research on the acoustics of the room. I know what I want it to sound like and I could get close via trial and error, but I am hoping to get some input here.

I'll start a new thread or change the subject in this one if it goes the direction I'm hoping for.

Basically, it's a 25ft x 25ft (with a 8ft x 8ft alcove in one corner) room with a sloping ceiling of about 10 ft. I know the dimensions are far from ideal, but this is what I have. I want to record small acoustic groups, mostly chamber music and the like, but I need to be flexible too. Like everyone, I have to make a living. :D

So, where do I go from here and what forum should I be posting in?

Thanks to everyone!
Scott :mrgreen:

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:18 am 

a lot of folks just do the acoustic bits as part of their construction thread as it keeps it all together. in some cases, folks leave and do the acoustic treatments on their own and sometimes don't ever post back until things are up and running and they find the time.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:12 am 
Site Admin

Scott, it's probably better to keep all the posts about your build together in one thread, in order to not loose continuity. I'd just carry on asking these kinds of questions on your build thread.

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:15 am 

Stuart and Glenn,

Unfortunately, I don't have a build thread. There were a few questions that I asked before I knew the protocol and never started a continuous thread. I know, but I claim ignorance at the time. :oops: Besides, most of the questions I needed answering were answered in someone else's thread or in the stickys.

So, I could start a "how should I do the acoustics?" thread, but do I start it here or in the construction forum?

I think I know how to get started, but then I thought I knew how to get started doing soundproofing. Thanks to the forum I corrected some mistakes avoided some mistakes and had to live with others. However, I think it's working out well. I'd like to work the acoustics by not making or correcting mistakes. I'd really like to get this room working without a lot of trial and error.

Thanks,
Scott

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:55 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't have a build thread.
sounds like now would be a good time to start one! :)

Just start your single unified thread in the design area, and we can move it to construction are once you actually start building. Perhaps in your first post you could even put a set of links to the other threads that you had (or questions that you asked): A little down the line you'll be real glad you did that, when you want to go searching for something that you just KNOW you already asked and had an answer for, but you can't recall what the answer was...

- Stuart -

Report this post